Ancestral health symposium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestral health symposium

Thought folks here might enjoy this article on the recent Ancestral Health Symposium in LA. It has some good words about Mark (who was one of the speakers), the PB, and Jack Kruse, among others: A Libertarianís Take on the First Ever Ancestral Health Symposium In by Karen De Coster

Also mentioned favorably is a book by Nora Gedgaudus called "Primal Mind, Primal Body: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life"; has anyone read it? I hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds interesting.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

That was a pretty stupid attempt to promote libertarianism instead of just a report on the AHS.

I can see reasons why some libbies get excited about Primal/Paleo-it gives them a way to do what they do, blame government for anything they can think of.

Comment

I liked Primal Mind, Primal Body. A little carb-phobic, but good nonetheless.
      Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by DFH View Post
        That was a pretty stupid attempt to promote libertarianism instead of just a report on the AHS.

I can see reasons why some libbies get excited about Primal/Paleo-it gives them a way to do what they do, blame government for anything they can think of.
        +1, my sentiments exactly

Comment

Thanks, good article.

DFH, I think there's a huge over-lap of Libertarians and Paleo/Primal people on various issues. (FDA raids versus freedom to choose our own diets, for example.) Everybody here who considers him/herself a Libertarian, raise your hand. "Me, me".

Comment

Originally posted by mgoodness View Post
            +1, my sentiments exactly
            High five.

If I thought it would be worth the trouble, I could write a similar political piece that argues that Primal/Paleo supports left wing political ideas, and then write one that shoots that down and proves that Primal/Paleo debunks the left and the libertarians. Anyone can do propaganda!

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
              Thanks, good article.

DFH, I think there's a huge over-lap of Libertarians and Paleo/Primal people on various issues. (FDA raids versus freedom to choose our own diets, for example.) Everybody here who considers him/herself a Libertarian, raise your hand. "Me, me".
              Yes, there is, but see the post I just made. You could also argue that Primal/Paleo debunks libertarians and is left wing.

The overlap is real, but don't make the mistake of thinking that Primal/Paleo validates anyone's political biases.

Comment

High five.

If I thought it would be worth the trouble, I could write a similar political piece that argues that Primal/Paleo supports left wing political ideas, and then write one that shoots that down and proves that Primal/Paleo debunks the left and the libertarians. Anyone can do propaganda!
                Go for it. Spirited discussion is always good, and I'm interested in how one would tie together left-wing politics and primal...
                Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                  Go for it. Spirited discussion is always good, and I'm interested in how one would tie together left-wing politics and primal...
                  The leftie part would be easy.

Just an outline-

Primal/Paleo is left/liberal because it supports "power to the people-" small, organic farms and it opposes big factory farms and big agribusiness's Frankenfoods. Bad government advice and subsidies are not proof that government is the problem. The real problem is that big agribusiness has kidnapped government for it's own purposes. Take the power back, etc...

It's actually not that different from what the libertarians are trying to make of it, but the main difference is that libertarians are trying to say that bad official advice and big subsidies are due to the existence of government. The lefty would just say that government has been kidnapped.

Since it is impossible to simply eliminate government, unless you are dreaming, which is more practical? Ending government, or addressing the fact that government has been kidnapped?

The main defect in the libertarian's thinking is that if you eliminate government, big business, free of it's chains, will make all the right decisions. Read up on how big companies like Monsanto behave and then try to convince me that they just need to be left alone. Yeah, right!

Comment

I'm wanting to get my hands on that book - already looked to see if the library had it because I'm broke and just don't have much more room on the ole bookshelf....but I guess that can be a good thing. (not the broke part)

I wish more of the books I'm dying to read were available as Ebooks! My Nook is ready to roll!
                    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

How do you figure that? The title of the article is "A Libertarian's Take on the Ancestral Health Symposium." Doesn't that say up front that it is a libertarian essay?

I have been a registered Libertarian, now a blue dog Democrat. Libertarian views make lots of sense to me. Both knee-jerk liberal Democrats and capitalist lap-dog Republicans infuriate me. What turns me off from libertarianism is dismissive, meat axe attitudes. I am a retired Federal employee. I understand rants since I do plenty of them myself, many toward the Federal government. But when you talk about government employees who should all be fired, you have lost me. Most government employees are just folks trying to do a good job to support their families.

I thought the article was an interesting take on the symposium.
                      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                        But when you talk about government employees who should all be fired, you have lost me. Most government employees are just folks trying to do a good job to support their families.
                        Let me guide you. When you fire a federal employee you free up capital to hire 2-3 people productively in the private sector.

When you hire a federal employee, what everyone sees is a job created. What everyone fails to see is the 2-3 jobs that are lost in the private sector in order to hire that single federal employee.

Comment

I posted the article because it describes a symposium that I thought would be of interest to many in this community, and because it contains some pretty good stuff about Mark. Didn't realize people would get side tracked by the author's perspective. I think it's perfectly clear that the PB is great, no matter what your political stripes.

btw, I got Primal Mind, Primal Body on my Kindle this afternoon. It's next up after finishing Ivanhoe (which is even better than I remembered it).
                          Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

The leftie part would be easy.

Just an outline-

Primal/Paleo is left/liberal because it supports "power to the people-" small, organic farms and it opposes big factory farms and big agribusiness's Frankenfoods. Bad government advice and subsidies are not proof that government is the problem. The real problem is that big agribusiness has kidnapped government for it's own purposes. Take the power back, etc...

It's actually not that different from what the libertarians are trying to make of it, but the main difference is that libertarians are trying to say that bad official advice and big subsidies are due to the existence of government. The lefty would just say that government has been kidnapped.

Since it is impossible to simply eliminate government, unless you are dreaming, which is more practical? Ending government, or addressing the fact that government has been kidnapped?

The main defect in the libertarian's thinking is that if you eliminate government, big business, free of it's chains, will make all the right decisions. Read up on how big companies like Monsanto behave and then try to convince me that they just need to be left alone. Yeah, right!
                            You don't solve a kidnapped government problem by giving the government more money, more power and more influence.

Libertarians do not think companies always make right decisions, but we do believe they should fail instead of being bailed out when they do make wrong decisions.

Comment

maybe its that way because it was posted on a LIBERTARIAN website. what the heck did you want,

Comment

Working...
                              X