Any other hammock hangers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other hammock hangers?

I got into it about a year ago and started off with a Eno Doublenest. Did a few trips and slept in the yard a lot. It finally gave out when my kid lit a smoke bomb and an ember put a hole into it. Now I rock a Warbonnet Blackbird, which is kinda like the Cadillac of hammocks. For a decent everyday hammock to cut your teeth on I recommend the Lightweight from Grand Trunk for about $20.

I figure sleeping on the ground is most primal, but I dig hanging instead...anyone else?- George
    Modern Combative Systems Blog

I am looking at sleeping hammocks, planning on making one my next purchase after the bed/mattress I currently own craps out.

How do you like it? Also, some 'primitive' societies made frequent use of sleeping hammocks -- I happen to recall several South American nations/groups.
    Last edited by Velocity; 08-15-2011, 04:15 AM.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

It depends on the culture, whether sleeping on the ground is most primal. In the rainforest I doubt anyone has ever slept on the ground, given the poisonous things that crawl around there.

Comment

Love my eno. Mostly nap in it during the day and retire to the tent in the evening though.
        For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

I did 13 hrs in 13 degrees in January. On a scale of 1-10 I was about a 7. Just need to know what you are doing to stay comfy- George

Comment

Originally posted by mercop View Post
            but I dig hanging instead...anyone else?
            I use a Hennessy Expedition when I'm outdoors. I had a zipper (access) modification added and sewed a large tarp for it. I love sleeping off the ground as at my age that ground seems to be getting harder each year.
            Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

Love the hammocks but haven't slept in either of ours yet. They are tied to trees and may not be optimally spaced so they seem to sag too much for a comfy nights rest

Comment

Comment

My brother is a hammock person and uses one when camping and sometimes when he's home. My partner and I brought back a traditional Mayan hammock from our trip to the Yucatan last year, but I haven't hung it up yet. I am considering finding a spot in the basement to hang it for the winter months. Not sure it would replace my bed, but as a spot to sprawl, read, and nap, I love them.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Only a year+ late to this party...

Love sleeping in my hammock. Started off on a whim back in February and turned into a passion. I finally got it hung in my bedroom where I blacked out the windows. Sleep has never been so good.

Next up, figure out how to hang a hammock in the dessert....

Comment

This is definitely very tempting...would have to get a stand though...don't trust hanging it to my walls of my SF bedroom....would definitely be an interesting conversation starter when I bring a date home....lol

Comment

I've got two ENOs one double and one single, love them. Custom suspension and a Hennesey rain fly. I backpack/camp with them. Great for chilling at the beach.
                        "Go For Broke"
                        Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                        Small Kine-168/9%
                        Now- 200/8%
                        Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Moose View Post
                          would definitely be an interesting conversation starter when I bring a date home....lol
                          Yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Moose View Post
                            would definitely be an interesting conversation starter when I bring a date home....lol
                            This begs my next question, how do you have sex in a hammock?
                            Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Comment

Originally posted by Jer37208 View Post
                              This begs my next question, how do you have sex in a hammock?
                              Haha, to be honest, that is a good question....I probably wouldn't, though. Other than half-awake morning sex, I prefer to avoid the bed all together....add in the difficulty and (at least my worry of) extra stress on anchor points..it all just seems like a good excuse to make use of other locations haha

Comment

Working...
                              X