Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third World Squat

http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085

Not sure if somebody else here posted this link? I was just curious to know how many of you can do this effectively, and what it means if you can't...I can get down low perfectly fine, but I topple over if I'm not holding onto something, or I'm using some serious foot muscles to keep myself erect.

I've been trying to do it for 1-2mins. everyday, but sometimes after I get out of it my lower back hurts temporarily. I know this squat is *good* for the back, so does that mean my back is screwed? hm...

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

haha same here... I've been practicing it for a while but I still don't have much balance when I do it. It's a great pre-squatting stretch.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

It takes a bit of practice. I&#39;m better at it with sneakers on than bare feet, but it&#39;s getting easier. I can squat for 3-4 minutes before getting uncomfortable. One thing that&#39;s interesting to try, is to "squat-walk" like that. I saw it once on a television program, a woman sweeping the floor with a hand broom, walking while squatted down. It&#39;s quite difficult, and I can&#39;t yet sweep an entire floor that way, but it&#39;s worth a go!

Comment

I&#39;m quite comfy squatting like that, but I haven&#39;t tried squat-walking!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
        On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

I can do that although I haven&#39;t done it in a long time. I sometimes clean my kitchen floor squatted like that. You have to squat like that if you have to use a "Turkish-style" potty.

Comment

If it&#39;s uncomfy for you, you can put a slightly rolled blanket under your heels while your body loosens up. You can slowly minimize the support under your heels as you get more flexible. There is a big difference between being able to put pressure/weight on your heels while squatting and needing to lean forward while squatting b/c of balance (when you can&#39;t really get your heels all the way down.) This might make a difference in how your back feels in the position.

I also find it easier if I keep my knees and toes pointed outward a bit, and put my hands in prayer position, elbows slightly pressing on knees...

Comment

That blanket idea does help. I didn&#39;t do that, but when squatting barefoot I did (and sometimes still do) squat on an uneven surface- like where my area rug meets the regular carpet. It&#39;s just a fraction of an inch higher, but believe it or not, it does help.

Comment

I just tried it, I can do it and stay in that position indefinitely, but my hubby can&#39;t do it at all! lol

I think studying yoga might have something to do with this, and that I naturally squat while playing with my kiddos on the floor.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

I can do it but not for a super long time without my legs getting tired.

One of the kids I babysit would squat like this while playing with his toy trains, and I squatted down beside him a couple times, but he thought that was weird of me and wanted me to sit in the chair in his toy room (I guess that&#39;s the "grown up" thing to do? heh).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Everytime I go to squat my knees, pelvis, and back cracks and pops REALLY loudly. Of course my belly is getting in the way too, which makes me a little sad since I was hoping to strengthen my thighs and possibly use a squat position for birth. It&#39;s looking like it&#39;s not happening.

Comment

kam, go in your kitchen and stand in front of the sink. Put your hands on the rim of the sink and fall into a squat as deeply as possible, letting your belly go between your legs. Hang, using your hands so that you are squatting very deeply and rock your pelvis. This will not only help your baby settle into a good birthing position, it will strengthen your thighs, take the weight off your back and it&#39;s a great labor possition.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
                      -John Lennon

Comment

I find it comfy once I&#39;m down there.

Only problem I have is getting up again. I go slow, but I notice a very subtle cracking sound coming from my kneecaps when I do this. No pain, it&#39;s just a little disconcerting I guess.

Comment

My third world squat is a source of amusement to the other patrons at the Y while we&#39;re waiting for them to open up every morning. The ongoing game is to sneak up behind me and give me a shove from behind or the side to see if I fall over. I don&#39;t.

It&#39;s a very natural rest position for me.

Comment

hmmmm....didnt know there was anything special in that.

thats the only way ive been squatting. at the gym when guys load up huge weights n barely go 90 deg i thought they were just showing off weights.

challenge yourself
                            i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Jess it took me a while to get the hang of it. I had to hold on to furniture at first so that my body could learn to balance correctly. It also helps you really sink into your heels, which helps with all of your other squat exercises. I can do squates with whatever weight I choose for the day, and still wiggle my toes when I&#39;m all the way down because I&#39;m solidly balanced on my heels. It makes me want to correct the people I see at the gym rolling completely onto their toes when they squat, but really it&#39;s none of my business

You are what you eat,
                              and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Working...
                              X