The Top Ten Daily Consequences of Having Evolved

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top Ten Daily Consequences of Having Evolved

A fun read from Smithsonian Magazine, 11/19/10. Enjoy!

The Top Ten Daily Consequences of Having Evolved | Science & Nature | Smithsonian Magazine

Interesting stuff, thanks!
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

This was interesting to me:

"One of the reasons it is so difficult to stop hiccupping is that the entire process is controlled by a part of our brain that evolved long before consciousness, and so try as you might, you cannot think hiccups away."

I'm actually the only person I know of who can stop hiccupping at will. I just decide to stop... and they stop. My whole life I've never understood why other people can't do this, or why I can.

Anyone else out there able to stop when they feel like it?

Comment

Cool article
        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Number 8 is funny to me because I have my wisdom teeth and never had any problems with them. Does that mean I have a small brain? If so, at least I now have an excuse for all the bone-headed things I do.
          kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

Probably means you have properly-developed jaws, unlike most modern-society-dwelling people. The notion that hunter-gatherers, who are anatomically modern and don't have smaller brains than anyone else, need to extract their wisdom teeth or risk painful and deadly impactions and abscesses is laughable (not a lot of dentists on the savannah). Developmentally normal humans have jaws that accommodate their teeth just fine, but people who grow up on modern industrial diets are not developmentally normal. Similarly back pain is not an issue for people who follow ancestral behavior and movement patterns, but it is for people who spend a lot of their day sitting or standing in one spot rather than moving around naturally.
            Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post

"One of the reasons it is so difficult to stop hiccupping is that the entire process is controlled by a part of our brain that evolved long before consciousness, and so try as you might, you cannot think hiccups away."

I'm actually the only person I know of who can stop hiccupping at will. I just decide to stop... and they stop. My whole life I've never understood why other people can't do this, or why I can.

Hey cool lie bro.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post

I can't stop at will, but drinking from the other side of the cup works for me every time.
                52 year old Male
                Goal: 185lbs
                April 10th: 220lbs

Comment

Definitely food for thought. My hubby hipnotised me many (like 30) years ago and told me to stop hicupping if he said "boo" (like scaring or suprising someone) and to this day, it will stop my hicupps. So funny! I've even called him on the phone and it works!

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    Hey cool lie bro.
                    Haha. Unfortunately, opportunities to prove myself don't come along often. All I can say is I promise it's true.
                    Last edited by ciep; 08-15-2011, 07:07 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

The "hold breath for a slow 10 count" works for me whenever I get hiccups.
                      Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
                      -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

I get hiccups pretty much every day, and I am also able to stop them sometimes. Sometimes I can even feel a hiccup building up but I can make it stop if I can relax and focus. My dad gets frequent hiccups as well, even hiccuping three times for no reason while driving.

Anyone remember that girl with the non-stop hiccups (and also charged with murder later on)? Her doctors had suspected her hiccups may actually be a form of Tourette's. If you look at news vids of her on YouTube, you can see that she also jerks her head and neck when hiccuping. Tourette's could affect any group of muscles or even a single muscle, so it wouldn't be surprising if the diaphragm muscle was affected in her case.

Comment

Once when I was little and had the hiccups, my mom said to me "hiccup again and I'll give you a dollar". Stopped my hiccups cold. I was so disappointed. I really wanted that dollar.

Comment

Working...
                          X