Government against fresh foods (might have bacteria), recommends syrup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government against fresh foods (might have bacteria), recommends syrup

As locally produced, natural foods gain popularity at the expense of mass-produced, processed foods, government is stepping in to put a stop to it
    the bureaucrats told her to use strawberry syrup or irradiated strawberries instead of fresh strawberries (because fresh ones could have bacteria)
    The Scoop on Illinois

Oh wow that's bad! Reminds me of Food Inc!

Comment

Make no mistake, the FDA doesn't want you to eat what they do not control. From kids curbside lemonade stands, Church bake sales to the recently raided Rawsome foods, the FDA HATES whole foods that they do not control.
      Congress has given FDA the authority to regulate food, and they believe that there is no such thing as a right to acquire any given food and "there is no generalized right to bodily and physical health."
      Our founding fathers are turning over in their graves:
      “If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.”

Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave RN View Post
        “If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.”

Thomas Jefferson.
        I think this calls for the following. WHATTHEFUCKHE'SAWARLOCK!
        How often do you get such an obviously occuring prophecy!?
        In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
          I think this calls for the following. WHATTHEFUCKHE'SAWARLOCK!
          How often do you get such an obviously occuring prophecy!?
          Don't read much of the Founding Father's writings do you? Pretty much everything warned about has come true...

(Yes, I know it's another country but I read other country's stuff too...)
          Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
          Starting Weight: 294 pounds
          Current Weight: 235 pounds
          Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
            Don't read much of the Founding Father's writings do you? Pretty much everything warned about has come true...

(Yes, I know it's another country but I read other country's stuff too...)
            I'm descended from loyalists.... There's a good chance our ancestors tried to kill each other.
            In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

I'm descended from loyalists.... There's a good chance our ancestors tried to kill each other.
              mine were in prussia & uk at the time I find it hard to believe what you say is true

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
                mine were in prussia & uk at the time I find it hard to believe what you say is true
                Nevermind then. And seriously, the americans outnumbered the British 10 to 1 (exaggeration), so I don't get how their victory was great in the slightest. They were more like Xerxes than the Spartans.

Comment

Nevermind then. And seriously, the americans outnumbered the British 10 to 1 (exaggeration), so I don't get how their victory was great in the slightest. They were more like Xerxes than the Spartans.
                  analogies aren't you strong suit

Comment

You guys, seriously. The FDA is not S.P.E.C.T.R.E. or the Galactic Empire. They don't "hate food they don't control." They're just trying to protect the greatest number of people from the most egregious threats to public health. Is there a lot of room for improvement? Of course, it's a freaking government bureaucracy. Personally, I think it would be much better if their policies were patterned after their European counterparts - more focus on preventative measures and helping vendors/processors adhere to proper sanitation procedures rather than the more reactionary role they tend to have. However, trying to paint the FDA as some sort of malicious, conspiracy-riddled boogeyman is ridiculous and counterproductive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sudenveri View Post
                      You guys, seriously. The FDA is not S.P.E.C.T.R.E. or the Galactic Empire. They don't "hate food they don't control." They're just trying to protect the greatest number of people from the most egregious threats to public health. Is there a lot of room for improvement? Of course, it's a freaking government bureaucracy. Personally, I think it would be much better if their policies were patterned after their European counterparts - more focus on preventative measures and helping vendors/processors adhere to proper sanitation procedures rather than the more reactionary role they tend to have. However, trying to paint the FDA as some sort of malicious, conspiracy-riddled boogeyman is ridiculous and counterproductive.
                      I agree... It is a matter of public safety.

Comment

There are some problems with this report, and with what the ice cream maker was supposedly told.

1) The rule enforcer does not tell the plebs HOW to meet requirements, only WHAT requirements. This is QA 101. Instead of "you must use syrup to avoid bacteria" it should be "you must meet the requirements for bacteria levels." If the ice cream maker was in fact directed to use syrup, that is wrong.

2) The report comes from a typical libertarian "government is out to get us" kook site. The problem is not government, the problem is incorrect enforcement of QA. The regulators should take lessons from the FAA. They know what they are doing and don't have this problem.

Comment

Meh. The FDA shouldn't exist anyway.

Also, it's not the government's job to keep us healthy. The government's is to keep us free.
                          Last edited by Roach; 08-11-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DFH View Post
                            There are some problems with this report, and with what the ice cream maker was supposedly told.

1) The rule enforcer does not tell the plebs HOW to meet requirements, only WHAT requirements. This is QA 101. Instead of "you must use syrup to avoid bacteria" it should be "you must meet the requirements for bacteria levels." If the ice cream maker was in fact directed to use syrup, that is wrong.

2) The report comes from a typical libertarian "government is out to get us" kook site. The problem is not government, the problem is incorrect enforcement of QA. The regulators should take lessons from the FAA. They know what they are doing and don't have this problem.
                            This same issue/story was also featured in the tribune the other day.

Although I see the need for regulation for food safety, I agree that specific measures such as using additives and/or syrup should not be explicitly recommended (basically I agree with #1). Also I believe that large corporations and small companies should be regulated differently... this was an interesting part of the tribune article:

"Indeed, IDPH confirmed that these small operations are governed by the very same rules that apply to billion dollar ice cream companies. And although Illinois recently passed the The Illinois Local Food Entrepreneur and Cottage Food Operation Act, (currently awaiting Gov. Pat Quinn's signature) which suggests that the different sets of rules should govern tiny food operations and giant corporations, the bill does not apply to ice cream."
                            Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sudenveri View Post
                              Actually they are Rosicrucians
                              Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                              Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                              Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X