Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Sickness and the Primal Blueprint

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding morning sickness and primal style eating. I am really curious to know what woman ate to get through their first months of pregnancy. From what I am reading, morning sickness is evolutionary to prevent eating contaminated foods. Usually with morning sickness the sight and smell of meat and eggs are revolting. I know for me, the only thing I could keep down was grains. What do you think woman ate? Just fruits and vegetables? I am curious of what you guys opinions of this are!!

I couldn't eat red meat in the first trimester, and could only manage cold eggs. Egg salad sandwiches were my go-to food when I was out. This was 22 yrs ago, no concept of primal. Chicken and fish were OK, when I wasn't actively nauseous... I ate a lot of Cheerios and milk. And gained 40 lbs with each pregnancy. But lost it all again, too, thank goodness.

Comment

I suspect Paleolithic women didn't have morning sickness, actually. Those who did likely dealt with it with herbs.

For most women these days it seems to be a nutrient deficiency, blood sugar issue or imbalanced hormones. Primal eating can take care of all of these and for some women it could take a year or so to make up for eating a SAD diet before their bodies are fully healed.

I recently wrote a blog post on Primal Pregnancy nutrition that you my find helpful. Here's the link.
      Last edited by Dragonfly; 08-09-2011, 08:04 PM.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

With my first pregnancy it was so bad I just didn't eat. My Dr started giving me vitamin B12 injections and it I would feel normal again for up to a week. So I dare say it was vitamin deficiency that caused it. In my second pregnancy the shots were no longer available so I survived on sips of gatorade. A midwife told me that they'd done a study where the expectant mothers drank a can of normal coke first thing in the morning and it worked wonders and curing morning sickness. This however is completely unhelpful from a primal perspective! Both those things are in line with what Dragonfly says about it being a nutrient deficiency or blood sugar issue though.
        Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
        CW - 60kg / 132lb
        GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

I didn't have morning sickness w/dd - however I could not stand to look at, smell or eat Chicken for the first 2 trimesters - Steak, Eggs, and especially Tuna were my go to protein sources . I was not primal during either of my pregnancies - but I was GF. W/DS - The only way the little bugger would let me eat first thing in the am - was if I had a cup of coffee first - If I ate before I had the coffee - up came bkfst.
          The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
          What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
          SW 190lb
          Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
          25 Sep 2011 160lbs
          1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
          GW ~135lbs
          5'3"
          Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

My last pregnancy, I practically lived on slices of bread with a piece of american or cheddar cheese, slice of fresh tomato with some chopped fresh garlic, oregano and salt and ran it under the broiler my first trimester. Of course that was 33 years ago and not primal, but it kept me from getting nauseous. I also ate a lot of chicken, smashed potatoes, stringbeans and chard.

Comment

how does a pregnant women know if she is getting all the proper foods and nutrients when they are repulsed by a lot of foods?

I was pregnant for two months and had a miscarriage but during that time i craved red meat like no other and pickles and lemons. all i wanted was meat. eggs/tuna/sweets all repulsed me.
              I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

Originally posted by primalprincess7 View Post
                how does a pregnant women know if she is getting all the proper foods and nutrients when they are repulsed by a lot of foods?

I was pregnant for two months and had a miscarriage but during that time i craved red meat like no other and pickles and lemons. all i wanted was meat. eggs/tuna/sweets all repulsed me.
                So sorry for your loss...

Best thing to do is to eat really well prior to conception and you may be able to avoid food aversions next time.

If it happens again in the same way (every pregnancy is different!), just eat your meat, take a krill oil supplement and if you can, eat some liver or take a folic acid supplement and you will be covered.

See my post
                for more suggestions.
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by primalprincess7 View Post
                  Agreed, all I could stomach for 8 months was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I hardly ate and STILL gained 40 pounds. I'm hoping when we try again that with all the healthy primal food there won't be as much morning sickness. *fingers crossed*
                  See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

I was primal for 8 months before conceiving DD in Feb 2010. As soon as I hit the dreaded 6- weeks mark, I got very sick, and all I could stomach was carbs. Bread, bread, bread. After 12 weeks I could also eat cheese and chocolate and whipped cream. Gross, I know, and I gained a hideous 22 kilos (that's nearly 50 pounds!). But it was all I could handle.

Comment

I was vegetarian prior to conceiving dd, and craved meat throughout my pregnancy. In the early months I had morning sickness and had mostly carbs. I ate a lot less carbs in the last trimester and a lot of meat. I only gained 20-25lbs (none in the third trimester) and my dd was 7 lbs at birth.

Comment

good info! thanks!
                        I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

bumping this as I have the same question.. any new ideas or tips?

I went primal during my last pregnancy, but I was already passed the puking stage. Now, I'm 6 weeks pregnant and experiencing some not so pleasant nausea. No throwing up yet (except for the stomach bug I just got over last week), but I worry because 3 of my pregnancies I had hypermesis gravadium- that is NO fun Really hoping I don't have that again this time around.

It seems raw fruits and veggies make me super nauseous. Noodle soups and crackers with ginger ale seem to help, as well as those "preggie pop" lollipops.

I don't want to eat this way Help me find primal food sources that will soothe my tummy.

Funny side note- I was vegan with my last pregnancy and around 7 weeks I decided I wanted meat. I had to convince the hubby- but we transitioned away from veganism and started eating meat again. Around my 4th or 5th month of pregnancy we discovered paleo/primal. We love it! But now the morning sickness is kicking in and here I am buying bread, crackers, soda, noodle soups- somethings I haven't bought in a long time. I don't want to eat like this :/
                          Nina... primal mother to 6 cavelings.

Comment

I feel the same way. I've been primal for 2 years prior to getting pregnant. I enjoyed the benefits so much I've never once wanted any non-primal foods minus the occasional lentil or potato. I was looking forward to a fabulous pregnancy and I'm finding myself in the same boat as many of the people posting. I'm 10 weeks and I don't want anything to do with primal foods. All I want to eat is starch. Consequently I'm tired, ill and moody and I can't be sure if it's because I'm pregnant or because I've slipped into refined carb eating fest. I'm not sure at this point if I should just choke down the primal foods and see if that makes me feel better or wait it out.

The oddest thing is that I ate 100% SAD with my first pregnancy and felt fantastic. Never a craving (except some fried chicken from time to time), never any sickness, exercised like crazy, no gestational diabetes, and had an easy labor and delivery which is remarkable considering I pushed out an almost 10lb baby out of my 110lb frame. What gives?

Frustrated.

Comment

Working...
                            X