Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB affecting your relationship

Hello all,

I wondered if any of you experienced challenges in your relationship after you started the PB lifestyle?

I love the PB lifestyle, love the idea and science behind it, the food and the exercise. I've always been health concious and sport loving so this is right up my alley.

Now I also love my long term girlfriend. I love her cover star looks , her top of the class intelligence and love her passion for her career . However, she follows a low fat diet, eats high amounts of sugar, drinks sodas and pops pills at the sign of a headache. Although she understands the science behind the PB she said she could never give the food products she loves .

Yet it hurts me to see all the bad stuff going into her body. It hurts me to see all the good stuff that her body is missing out on such as all the essential fats. And I feel it is a bad influence on me as I cant always say no to non primal foods such as potato. The more I'm getting into this the more it is starting to eat away at me.

She says she loves my "beautiful muscles" and wants me to show her how to get some abs because she notices how little effort it takes me. I tell her its start with a good diet of unprocessed foods: more eggs. She laughs it off and goes for the Kellogg's with berries and sugar But I would love to massage her back when her muscles are more visible and a little more defined...

As for sex, since I started this my libido has risen from an already very satisfying level but I feel that her libido has only gone down since she started the low fat diet over a year ago.

Now, I just wondered who of you have experienced similar situations and how did you keep your relationship in one piece?

I look at it this way...I love my wife not the food she eats. I love my wife not her bad habits (smoking). She loves me the same. I'm not going to let something as small as diet affect that. As long as she respects my choices, I will respect hers.

Comment

Really the only thing you can do is stick with what works for you. She will either figure it out or she won't. Dietary habits/dogma are almost as bad as religion with most people. You can't change their minds, only they can.
      People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

My boyfriend and I eat different things. It is not a big deal. He has not battled with weight issues like I have so the carbs don't seem to bother him. He teases me about not eating them and I tease him back about eating them. He's been great about helping me stay active. I joined Crossfit and now we walk on weekday evenings and bike weekend mornings. Neither one of us makes it an issue. He gets potato and I get salad. Everyone is happy. As long as he continues to support my lifestyle I will continue to support his.

Comment

My husband gradually embraced the Primal lifestyle as he saw how much healthier I was getting.

If you are planning to have children, then you can play the fertility card Primal women are much more fertile (from the stories I've been reading) and their babies are pretty darn healthy.
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            I love her cover star looks
            Sorry, I stopped reading after this.

What's the problem again?
            Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
            Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
            LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
            HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
            TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

My husband is on board with me, and I'm so thankful for that. It makes the transition so much easier.

Comment

Follow what is important to you.

People are replaceable. If she supports what you're doing, good to go. If not, replace. It's pretty simple as long as you don't let emotions muck it up. Besides, she may need to up her game if the gulf between her and you is growing.
                My Fitday public journal.
                Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

I totally understand. Its getting the point where my bf is sick of me talking excitedly about diet and nutrition and health. The more you talk about it, the more they back away and eat bread. It's up to them to decide.
                  My primal journal
                  25yo female, height 5'7"
                  goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
                  goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
                  ― W. Somerset Maugham

Comment

It makes the transition so much easier.

Comment

She laughs it off and goes for the Kellogg's with berries and sugar
                      Pull up 'Dr' Kelloggs life story off the web; get her to read it and then see if she still laughs over her bowl of cereal.

Dr. Kellogg was convinced that a diet high in fiber and low in sugar or animal products would cure all ills, including the evil of masturbation, so around 1900 he came up with several foods -- including Corn Flakes.

Kellogg worked on the rehabilitation of masturbators, often employing extreme measures, even mutilation, on both sexes. He was an advocate of circumcising young boys to curb masturbation and applying phenol (carbolic acid) to a young woman's clitoris. In his Plain Facts for Old and Young,[7] he wrote;
                      "A remedy which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision, especially when there is any degree of phimosis. The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment, as it may well be in some cases. The soreness which continues for several weeks interrupts the practice, and if it had not previously become too firmly fixed, it may be forgotten and not resumed. "
                      "In females, the author has found the application of pure carbolic acid [phenol] to the clitoris an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement."
                      He also recommended, to prevent children from this "solitary vice", bandaging or tying their hands, covering their genitals with patented cages, sewing the foreskin shut and electrical shock.[7]

Yummy breakfast cereals....anti-wanking carbostodge!

With that in mind the names are even better:

Apple Jacks - Kellogg's
                      Banana Nut Crunch
                      Clackers - General Mills
                      Clusters - General Mills
                      Corn Bursts - Malt-O-Meal
                      Cream of Wheat
                      Dinky Donuts
                      Fruity Pebbles - Post Cereals (1970-Present)
                      Grape-Nuts - Post Cereals
                      Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs - Ralston (discontinued)
                      Honey Nut Clusters - General Mills
                      Kaboom! - General Mills
                      Little Man - LIDL supermarket chain
                      Marshmallow Mateys - Malt-O-Meal
                      Maximize - Bokomo
                      Mr. Wonderfull's Suprize - General Mills
                      Nut 'n Honey - Kellogg's
                      Ohs
                      Puffins
                      Quaker Oh's - Quaker Oats
                      Smacks - Kellogg's
                      Trix - General Mills
                      Twinkles - General Mills (1960s)
                      Wackies - General Mills (1960s)
                      activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

My husband is not primal. But he is a well built builder, so it's not like he really needs it. However, he has lots of little nibbles and issues that I think PB could fix. I think the best way is to show by example. She might come arOund.

Comment

Localad, that is gruesome. Never was a fan of Kellogg's products, but I did get their fruit snack out of a vending machine for my kids the other week (it was an oddball situation). Normal I get the fruit snacks from Trader Joe's and their ingredient list is just fruit and citric acid. I thought Kellogg's fruit snack would be the same, but no, theirs had an awful ingredient list that included corn syrup, sugar, artificial flavors, and food colorings. And for what purpose? Really, it can't be cheaper to put all that crap in a product than just the real food, can it? Is Kellogg's just focusing on putting ingredients that will drive us to crave more?
                          I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Comment

Sorry, back on topic (damn runaway tanget ). Skydiver, I'd think carefully about what matters to you long-term in a relationship. PB is so different from a low-fat diet. What'll happen when the kids come (assuming that you want kids)? If she's going to be doing the cooking, will she want to prepare PB foods for the kids? (Which brings on another point...is she planning on being a SAHM? If yes, then there goes your admiration of her "passion for her career.") And if she continues on with her low-fat diet, how annoyed will you be that the kids are being influenced by her food choices? How much does PB matter to you?
                            I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              Hello all,

I wondered if any of you experienced challenges in your relationship after you started the PB lifestyle?

I love the PB lifestyle, love the idea and science behind it, the food and the exercise. I've always been health concious and sport loving so this is right up my alley.

Now I also love my long term girlfriend. I love her cover star looks :cool:, her top of the class intelligence and love her passion for her career . However, she follows a low fat diet, eats high amounts of sugar, drinks sodas and pops pills at the sign of a headache. Although she understands the science behind the PB she said she could never give the food products she loves .

Yet it hurts me to see all the bad stuff going into her body. It hurts me to see all the good stuff that her body is missing out on such as all the essential fats. And I feel it is a bad influence on me as I cant always say no to non primal foods such as potato. The more I'm getting into this the more it is starting to eat away at me.

She says she loves my "beautiful muscles" and wants me to show her how to get some abs because she notices how little effort it takes me. I tell her its start with a good diet of unprocessed foods: more eggs. She laughs it off and goes for the Kellogg's with berries and sugar But I would love to massage her back when her muscles are more visible and a little more defined... As for sex, since I started this my libido has risen from an already very satisfying level but I feel that her libido has only gone down since she started the low fat diet over a year ago.

Now, I just wondered who of you have experienced similar situations and how did you keep your relationship in one piece?
                              how old are you?
                              Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                              Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                              Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X