Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FDA: Gluten-free is not for fad dieters!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Health benefit" labels create a health halo. You feel better about eating a gluten-free brownie than a regular brownie, so it becomes easier to justify each additional brownie. Same thing with Subway. People think that Subway is healthier than McDonalds, so they shove a footlong sandwhich down their mouth without batting an eye.

Not talking about Primal people here, even though we are guilty of the health halo at times. I know I wouldn't feel as bad about stealing away a spoonful, or six, of all natural almond butter compared to JIF. I shouldn't be doing it at all, but I find little things to justify it to myself.

Comment

Those who are not sensitive to gluten have more flexibility and can choose from a greater variety of foods to achieve a balanced diet.
      I'm wracking my brain to come up with anything that contains gluten which would help me improve my nutrition. Now if by "balance" she means getting as much carbohydrate as the USDA and its farmer friends think I should get, well then she may have a point.

Comment

What the hell - can you all not distinguish between "healthier" and "super healthy"?
        Gluten free cookies are healthier than non-gluten free cookies, and some / many people who go gluten free, changing nothing else, may experience dramatic health benefits. Sheesh.
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
          Gluten free cookies are healthier than non-gluten free cookies, and some / many people who go gluten free, changing nothing else, may experience dramatic health benefits. Sheesh.
          Originally posted by IndigoBanshee
          Gluten free eaters simply aren't going to be eating as many carbs as those who don't eat gluten free.
          [citation needed]

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
            What the hell - can you all not distinguish between "healthier" and "super healthy"?
            Some people seem to have trouble with the idea of "all else equal" when drawing comparisons. I know, it annoys me too.
            Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

A lot of non-celiac people do see major health improvements after going GF. I 100% agree with tfarny, all things being equal, going GF will improve many people's health, even if they don't have a positive celiac test. Gluten sensitivity is very common (really, it's just a matter of degree).

However, I can tell you absolutely that going GF does not necessarily mean going low carb. It's incredibly easy to replace gluten grains with other carbs, even without buying the GF frankenfoods. Eating massive quantities of rice, potatoes, beans, and other starchy foods is pretty common in the celiac community. Yes, when I first when GF, I think my carb intake dropped, but then I learned to bake with alternative flours, discovered rice pasta, and so on. Many GF substitute foods are still full of sugar, too. You can get lots of gluten-free candy and chocolate.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

For some people, it's going all in, but for others, it's baby steps.

Hey, not everyone is ready to eat the way most of us do, but sometimes just seeing the little bit of improvement can give them the incentive to eat even healthier.

You have to take people where they are in life.

And the FDA statement was crap. I can't think of a single reason anyone would need to eat gluten, variety or not.
                Durp.

Comment

What is wrong with the FDA? Honestly, this stuff stresses me out. These people are supposed to be experts???

Comment

Isn't everyone gluten sensitive to some degree?
                    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

I'm a celiac, and maybe I'm just abnormal, but the idea of spending hours baking everything sounds like crap to me, so I don't a lot of gluten-free baked goods.

Most of the people in the gluten-free group I'm in seem to eat only small amounts of grain-based items and make veggies their primary focus. Going just as heavy on the grains and being gluten free is outrageously expensive and has a very high time requirement. I still don't think that those who eat gluten free are going to be consuming even close the amount of carbs that a CW eater would. It's just too hard to do. And nobody said "low carb", for the record, just less.

Maybe you all forget what eating CW is like, but most regular people eat massive amounts of grain-based foods, in just about every meal. There isn't enough gluten-free items that are good enough to even come close to that, even if you make them yourself. If most people had to make all their wheat-based foods, they wouldn't be eating as much as they do, either.
                      Last edited by IndigoBanshee; 08-10-2011, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X