What are the best Minamlist shoes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best Minamlist shoes?

I'm looking to buy some minimalist shoes today and I'm not at all sure what brands the store has. I'm going to a store called Run This Way in Midland Texas and they are a certified Vibram seller. I need some shoes that I can wear to work....so probably not any toe shoes.

Shoes with everything else positive about minimalist would be good though. Wide toe box no heel to toe drop etc. I'm looking to spend 30-60 but maybe more depending.

Something comfortable to work in at Walgreens which is a decent amount of walking from aisle to aisle stocking water, paper products, etc. and occasionally checking people out at the register standing still. I also might use them for running until I can buy some Vibrams later

I'd also be interested in what the most important things to look for are besides no heel to toe drop which would be the most important I think.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

search the forum. There are several posts about this topic. For me, I like my merrel trail gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by fishin-frog View Post
      search the forum. There are several posts about this topic. For me, I like my merrel trail gloves.
      I've got them too. I love them and they look like regular shoes.

Comment

+1 on the Merrell Trail Gloves. I'm wearing mine right now.

Comment

if you find something for under $60 let me know. all the true minimalist shoes are close to or over $100
          Primal Chaos
          37yo 6'5"
          6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
          current 338lbs 49" waist
          goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
            if you find something for under $60 let me know. all the true minimalist shoes are close to or over $100
            That's what I've been finding out as well, so something under $60 would be nice.

Comment

I wear the Merrels almost every day. Love them.

Comment

+1 on the merrels. I have the trail glove for everyday and the tough glove for work. I also like the vibrams for trails and hiking. Trek sport or KSO's

Comment

i tried on vffs and didnt like them, been wanting to try the trail gloves but need to get some extra cash first. ive been wearing $7 aqua socks in the mean time. ill be real surprised if the trail gloves feel any more minimalist then these
                  Primal Chaos
                  37yo 6'5"
                  current 338lbs 49" waist
                  goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Originally posted by kivawolfspeaker View Post
                    That's what I've been finding out as well, so something under $60 would be nice.
                    Depending on how aggressive you want to be with them, the Converse AS Coast definitely will do the trick. It's like a normal Chuck All Star, but super low profile with very little sole. I have the Trail Gloves for actual working out and the All Stars for just kicking it in and honesly, underfoot, really I can barely tell the difference. Of course, the Merrells are built tougher and will most likely standup to more abuse, but for $40 the All Stars would work great in the box and on the street.

Converse Chuck Taylor® 'AS Coast' Sneaker | Nordstrom

Comment

I have some Converse and it's true, they are very flexible and soft. Any of those old fashioned soft soled tennis shoes would probably do the trick, with Cons being a bit more trendy and acceptable. I tried a pair of Merrells on the other day and they were gorgeous but too wide

The salesperson told me there's loads of companies jumping on the minimalist bandwagon so we should see choices exploding real soon.
                      If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

Originally posted by wheelhouse View Post
                        Depending on how aggressive you want to be with them, the Converse AS Coast definitely will do the trick. It's like a normal Chuck All Star, but super low profile with very little sole. I have the Trail Gloves for actual working out and the All Stars for just kicking it in and honesly, underfoot, really I can barely tell the difference. Of course, the Merrells are built tougher and will most likely standup to more abuse, but for $40 the All Stars would work great in the box and on the street.

Converse Chuck Taylor® 'AS Coast' Sneaker | Nordstrom
                        yeah those are kind of cool, does anyone sell these besides nordstoms? id want to try them on before buying so that rules out online shopping
                        Primal Chaos
                        37yo 6'5"
                        current 338lbs 49" waist
                        goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                          Isn't that rather ironic? Minimalistic shoes should have minimal(istic) prices too.

Personally I don't care much for the sock/glove look of most "barefoot" shoes, so I just wear whatever "normal" shoes I can find with as thin and flexible sole as possible. Currently my favorites are Adidas Gazelle and Converse Chuck Taylor's for the office and Asics Piranha SP3 for running and "recreational" walking/hiking.

In general, most skateboarding shoes or street shoes from "boarding companies" like Vans, DC, Globe, etc. are quite minimalistic with flat, flexible soles. (The reason skateboarding shoes are like this is to give the best contact and "feeling" with the
                          board.)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any soft-soled "flat" shoes that works with more formal clothing (i.e. a suit or business casual), but I'm still looking (and any tips are welcome, of course).
                          Norak's Primal Journal:
                          2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                          2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                          2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Luna sandals are really, really nice. They even have a model or two in your price range. Check out the Softstar RunAmoc and Dash. Either the huaraches or the mocs will be insanely comfortable. If fashionable is what you really need, it will be hard to avoid VFFs. VFFs are OK if they fit you, horrible if they don't, but they're expensive and they're really stink prone. If you get them, Classics and Sprints have the least cushion. KSOs have a little more but aren't bad. Treks have too much for me. Stay away from Bikilas or Speeds, they might as well be boots. I have some Merrells and they're OK, but have a lot of toe spring, which prevents natural toe engagement. Since no one who hasn't been barefoot a lot ever engages their toes, most never notice, but it drives me nuts. Try before you buy. My Merrells are starting to get stinky, too, but I get them soaked every time I wear them. If it's dry, I'm barefoot or in huaraches.

Gordo

Comment

I wear good old Chuck Taylor tennies. Cool for 100 years. :-) The ones I get have very thin soles.
                              Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Working...
                              X