Curious About Quadriceps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious About Quadriceps

I read that women's quadriceps tend to be 60% weaker than men's, but I can't find any explanation as to why.

Does anyone know?

Women have lower muscle mass, lower strength, and higher bodyfat percentages, on average. I don't know if there is much more of a reason why.

Comment

NROWL for women mentions this. I don't think it's that we are weaker but that we tend toward quad dominance. Let me look it up...

Comment

Sorry, the quad dominance has nothing to do with your stat. Honestly, that stat makes no sense to me if we're talking pound-for-pound. It could be true that, if you have a man and a woman with similar height, BF% and LBM%, the man can lift more. But that could have to do with a variety of factors including leg length, Q angle and the distribution of muscle.

Comment

Being that no one seems to have any data or evidence to back up the claim, perhaps it isn't true.

I'm going to keep looking though. 60% is kind of a weird number for a news organization to pull out of its ass. Not that statistics have never been made up before or anything.

Comment

girls are wimpy and have no need to dunk?

( i didnt even get it fininshed before i laughed out loud )

You gotta assume some idiot wrote that.
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
              girls are wimpy and have no need to dunk?

( i didnt even get it fininshed before i laughed out loud )

You gotta assume some idiot wrote that.
              I was going to go with, "because sammiches aren't heavy" but I am trying to be nice.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me either. 60% huh, that is an odd number. Was it based on anything?

Comment

@annieloux, Didn't you get the memo that was passed out last week? We are the weaker sex. Let's get back into the kitchen and make sammiches ladies!

*I really hope that people get sarcasm around here*
                Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                  @annieloux, Didn't you get the memo that was passed out last week? We are the weaker sex. Let's get back into the kitchen and make sammiches ladies!

*I really hope that people get sarcasm around here*
                  and Pie, dont forget Pie and your fat.... well nah i wont say ti
                  Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                  Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                  Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

That sounds odd to me because if anything women carry more muscle in their lower bodies while men have more muscle in their upper bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by unchatenfrance View Post
                      That sounds odd to me because if anything women carry more muscle in their lower bodies while men have more muscle in their upper bodies.
                      +1

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                        and Pie, dont forget Pie and your fat.... well nah i wont say ti
                        Ya know, I've never made a pie. Don't really like pie.
                        Georgette

Comment

I get the sarcasm.

I interpreted it as for whatever reason women's quadriceps are underused and I wondered if it had something to do with weight distribution or high heels or something like that.

It will probably be impossible to know (assuming the statistic is true) because I don't know what type of woman was compared to what type of man. Like, are we comparing a housewife to a fairly active husband who shmoozes during a game of racquetball with an important client or are we comparing two people who are both on the same level activity-wise.

Anywho. Just wondered if anyone had heard of it and was familiar enough with the musculoskeletal system to provide some scientific reasoning.

Comment

I've always been told and read that women have more lower body strength and men more upper body strength. I almost want to say we have to have good lower body strength to push a baby out.
                            Georgette

Comment

This is old, but somewhat appropriate for this discussion:
                              Myth Busters: Women and Upper-Body Strength Mandingueira

Maybe this is where the 60% comes from? "The women were approximately 52% and 66% as strong as the men in the upper and lower body respectively. The men were also stronger relative to lean body mass." Gender differences in strength and muscle fiber ch... [Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1993] - PubMed result
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread51572.html

Comment

Working...
                              X