Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convincing people: there is hope, BOOYAH!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convincing people: there is hope, BOOYAH!

Hi folks!

I feel great today, I want to share some things happening for me right now that might give you hope.

People I influenced, at this moment:
    -The wife was a vegetarian when I met her. Now, she loves bacon and steak, reads almost as much as me on health stuff and looks like a fitness model without any particular effort in that direction.

-One sister is now fully paleo. Almost no cheats, listens to Robb Wolf's podcasts and lost 15 pounds of fat (she's now 130lbs at 5''6 and looks better than ever).

-The other sister loves the stuff, but changes come a little slower. Still, she's doing great and wants to start a movement around here to spread health awareness through sports.

-My dad dropped 20lbs, but probably won't go far enough to see a real huge difference. Still, less and less bread and pasta in their house.

-When I found out another guy at my BJJ gym was paleo (because of MDA), we started sharing info and ideas. Other dudes heard us talking, and now about 5 of them are trying paleo, reading about it and buying grass-fed meat.

-Was talking about nutrition and health with friends from my soccer team the other night, two of them are up for the challenge and started reading more about it.

It helps that I have very low bodyfat, it seems to give me more credibility, but it's not all there is to it. When you share stuff you are passionate about, people listen!

There is hope, smart people listen to smart ideas, keep talking about the paleo lifestyle!

EDIT: Almost forgot. I was talking to a nutritionist who works in the office next to mine the other day. She went vegetarian a year ago, and complained she gained 5-6 pounds, felt softer and was constantly hungry (textbook effects of vegetarianism). I convinced her to read GCBC, MDA and to listen to Robb Wolf. I hope it works, she seemed really into it!
    Last edited by Winterbike; 08-03-2011, 07:23 AM.

Wow! That's impressive. You must be a natural-born salesperson. Most of us are lucky to persuade one person to try Primal. Any secrets besides enthusiasm, which is important but doesn't get most of us very far. I have tried to pull together a few ideas, mostly picked up here in MDA.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

The people who went vegetarian and became worse did it wrong. It's possible to be vegetarian and fit and healthy. It's one of my pet peeves--vegetarians who still crap.

Comment

We are but skipping rocks creating ripples in the CW pond!

Comment

I am also quick to spread the word. I tell people at the grocery store, fat kids in the park, adults on facebook.

There is no vegetarian who does it right, unless they are eating unnatural blends of artificial protein powders to make up the difference. And that's definitely not natural. Vegetarianism usually cripples the body. Whether immediately or over decades, the vegetarian will suffer greatly.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
            Wow! That's impressive. You must be a natural-born salesperson. Most of us are lucky to persuade one person to try Primal. Any secrets besides enthusiasm, which is important but doesn't get most of us very far. I have tried to pull together a few ideas, mostly picked up here in MDA.
            I'm starting to know the science inside out, it helps a lot to be able to answer their questions with more than just ''well, I'm not sure how it works exactly, read this book''. My wife also told me I had a gift to bring information to people in a non-threatening manner, but I couldn't tell you how I do that specifically. She also said I have a cute butt, so that might be it.

Then again, it seems to work a lot more with a specific crowd. BJJ practitioners are usually very driven and motivated people, they hesitate less to change their habits when they see new things that work. I think a big part of it is choosing the right people to try to explain it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy2078 View Post
              The people who went vegetarian and became worse did it wrong. It's possible to be vegetarian and fit and healthy. It's one of my pet peeves--vegetarians who still crap.
              Actually, I was quite impressed by what the nutritionist does. She buys everything organic, eats lots of fruits and veggies, takes care of all the grains and legumes in the right way (the stuff in Mark's today post), and yet, she ended up a little worse. I'm not saying she was completely wrong, she looked better than most people ever will, but she admitted herself that she saw a negative difference since going vegetarian.

Comment

I think at last count i've convinced 5 people to try primal/paleo. Although, as i've said before, i work in an industry where people are no afraid of trying something new generally/..
                I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Winterbike View Post
                  Actually, I was quite impressed by what the nutritionist does. She buys everything organic, eats lots of fruits and veggies, takes care of all the grains and legumes in the right way (the stuff in Mark's today post), and yet, she ended up a little worse. I'm not saying she was completely wrong, she looked better than most people ever will, but she admitted herself that she saw a negative difference since going vegetarian.
                  Maybe check out this YouTube vid? (vegetarian and vegan athletes)

One vegetarian getting worse doesn't mean it's true for all vegetarians. Also, you can't always base a deteriorating health on vegetarianism alone. There are conditions that could be undetected and cause problems.

And, how many of Primal people use protein shakes or fruit/vegetable blends? That's processed stuff as well.

Now, it is possible that some people are not really suited to be vegetarian, but some others are. It's a matter of finding what works for them. Did your friend eat enough fats? What about iron? Maybe she was borderline anemic (without symptoms) but her iron level dropped when she became a vegetarian.

Comment

I'm just happy having convinced Mrs. Griffin and myself.
                    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy2078 View Post
                      Maybe check out this YouTube vid? (vegetarian and vegan athletes)

One vegetarian getting worse doesn't mean it's true for all vegetarians. Also, you can't always base a deteriorating health on vegetarianism alone. There are conditions that could be undetected and cause problems.

And, how many of Primal people use protein shakes or fruit/vegetable blends? That's processed stuff as well.

Now, it is possible that some people are not really suited to be vegetarian, but some others are. It's a matter of finding what works for them. Did your friend eat enough fats? What about iron? Maybe she was borderline anemic (without symptoms) but her iron level dropped when she became a vegetarian.
                      Ok.... looks like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today. I think vegetarianism is better than what most people eat, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. Having both your legs broken might suck less than being paralyzed from the neck down, but it doesn't mean it doesn't suck at all. Vegetarianism is supposed to be the holy grail of eating according to conventional wisdom, and it just isn't. Is it good? Yes. Is it the best? No, not by far.

Now, if you want to argue more about it, you can start your own thread where I'll go complain and derail everything. If not, let's go back to changing the world, one person at the time. Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Winterbike View Post
                        Ok.... looks like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today. I think vegetarianism is better than what most people eat, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. Having both your legs broken might suck less than being paralyzed from the neck down, but it doesn't mean it doesn't suck at all. Vegetarianism is supposed to be the holy grail of eating according to conventional wisdom, and it just isn't. Is it good? Yes. Is it the best? No, not by far.
                        You are assuming that I am following CW. I don't follow philosophies laid out by someone else; I make my own observations (PM me if you want) and base my decisions on them. And, what's with analogies that don't even relate to the topics? I noticed a lot of people using ridiculous analogies in this forum. I wasn't derailing because one of you mentioned vegetarianism first. It's not like I brought a whole new topic into the thread. I noticed it's very typical for threads to have side topics--look at the manly man thread for a great example. If you want to prevent side topics, the mods will need to be more active and delete such comments.

Comment

Kristy, what are you doing on a Primal board? Being vegetarian is fundamentally incompatible with being Primal/Paleo, as well as with being healthy. Are you just here to be an apologist for an unhealthy lifestyle?
                          Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I got one friend on, unfortunately for reasons I am unaware of, he must have gone back to whatever he was doing and put all the weight he lost back on (dude lost almost 60lbs and was getting all types of compliments and female attention he never received) not long ago he told me "I just can't believe grains can be bad for you..." and I said "fine, but clearly it's easier to at least manage your weight, not to mention health, without them and sugar around?" but we dropped it. I have to assume other stuff is going on in his life and I didn't want to intrude. I can't see a good reason to go back to unhealthy habits, and put weight back on when you were "good" for more than a few months and had such dramatic weight loss.

My girlfriend is a work in progress. She eats pretty well, but has some bad habits she doesn't feel like shaking off. I'm not trying to argue with her about it. I'll make a little remark here and there, but whatever. She's a pretty healthy girl and is reading the PB and more and more wants to "do it for real" so I'm sure she will in due time.

I do have another friend, a cook, who is doing Paleo and shedding some body fat. I think it's easiest for her due to her culinary knowledge, I was also prompted to talk to her about it after hearing her talk about grass fed beef in a positive way, and about saying how fat is important, all things she had just learned through cooking school so she only needed a tiny shove.

It is disappointing when you can't reach people. I've had friends listen, and say "yeah, makes sense!" but not apply any of it, or worse yet, do the exact opposite. It's just American culture, and media, and even social pressures. No girls want to eat a big chunk of fatty meat because they're supposed to be eating salads with fat free dressing... except all the primal ladies here of course.
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                              Kristy, what are you doing on a Primal board? Being vegetarian is fundamentally incompatible with being Primal/Paleo, as well as with being healthy. Are you just here to be an apologist for an unhealthy lifestyle?
                              That is your own view on vegetarianism. As for why I am here, PB is not all about eating meat. It's about changing how we eat (namely, cutting out grains, processed carbs, sugars, packaged foods) and how we treat our bodies with exercise and stress. We can at least agree that it's possible to be a grain- and sugar-free vegetarian, right? And don't worry, I am not one of those tree-hugging vegetarians who go "EW MEAT!" I am very willing to eat a squirrel or fish if I were lost and stranded deep in the woods or on a remote island. I am happy that a lot of primals have switched from factory meat to meats that are free range, have no antibiotics, etc. and I would advocate for that kind of switch for anyone. If someone asks me to cook a steak for his dinner, I would more than happy to do so. Additionally, we have a lot of food to go around, a thousands times more than what our ancestors had available to them. 500 years ago or a thousand years ago, it definitely would have been difficult to go veg. But now? Not so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X