CW gone mad...again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CW gone mad...again

Saw this in our local newspaper this morning.

Obesity campaigns 'waste of cash'

The CW answer - more lap band surgery, of course.

I have got so many patients who had had lap band surgery before they saw me and they were still obese.

When will CW learn?

When will people learn surgery is not the answer?

Comment

meh.

Marketing campaigns with minimal budgets won't do anything for obesity. Frankly, nothing is going to change until someone WANTS to change. Simple as that.

Sadly, government programs and the like for obesity "awareness" should be defunded. No chance a few mil from the .gov will be able to stand against the billions spent by snack food companies and their cohort.
      My Fitday public journal.
      Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
      Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
      Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
        meh.

Marketing campaigns with minimal budgets won't do anything for obesity. Frankly, nothing is going to change until someone WANTS to change. Simple as that.

Sadly, government programs and the like for obesity "awareness" should be defunded. No chance a few mil from the .gov will be able to stand against the billions spent by snack food companies and their cohort.
        +1. And with the USDA setting the guidelines, we won't be seeing good dietary advice anyway. The best thing the US government could do for us is get out of the diet biz and the farm subsidy biz. And I'm saying this as a progressive.

Comment

I would start a farm if they got the eff out of the farm subsidy biz.

The USDA has a hard enough time tracking down e. coli outbreaks from bad processors, let alone having the time to figure out what is really good for someone.

Comment

A co-worker had lap band surgery about 4 months ago and it looks like her weight loss has stopped. Every morning she comes in with a sausage egg and cheese sandwich. Since she's part-time, I have no idea what else she eats because she only works till noon, but I've seen her grazing at the goodies that are occasionally brought in. No changing from her former eating habits seems to be her downfall.

Comment

meh.

Is that so? The years I spent following bad advice and Dr's orders, I didn't want to change? I wasn't making an effort? I will not type what I'd like to say to you just now.
              Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Yes, because I wrote that specifically for you, someone from JP whom I've never met before. Please, prove all of my statements about Bostonians.

If you talk to a nutritionist, follow it, and it isn't working. You either look for something that works, or you don't. When someone wants to change that which is not working, they will.

Again, simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
                  A co-worker had lap band surgery about 4 months ago and it looks like her weight loss has stopped. Every morning she comes in with a sausage egg and cheese sandwich. Since she's part-time, I have no idea what else she eats because she only works till noon, but I've seen her grazing at the goodies that are occasionally brought in. No changing from her former eating habits seems to be her downfall.
                  In my job as a medical transcriptionist, I do a lot of reports dealing w/lap band or gastric bypass surgeries. First there are the required "educational" visits, which pretty much seem to be just going thru the motions so the insurance company will pay for the procedure. Then there are followup reports. I have to say, doing a report on someone who has had this surgery and actually keeps the weight off for even a year is fairly unusual. Most see some loss at first but then plateau and then start to gain it back. I believe the reason is as you say--the eating habits never changed to begin with. If these folks could be happy on 1000 calories a day of SAD crap and lose weight, they would never have needed the surgery to start with. Now they have had the surgery (and depending on which one, may have a permanent digestive disorder now) and guess what? They STILL can't be happy on 1000 calories a day of SAD crap, and since that is all they are allowed, there isn't much chance of success. What a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by honeypig View Post
                    Then there are followup reports. I have to say, doing a report on someone who has had this surgery and actually keeps the weight off for even a year is fairly unusual.
                    They now are saying that it's "typical" to keep off ONE THIRD of the weight lost for three years. The minimum amount overweight you have to be for lap band is 30 lbs. That's major surgery and thousands of dollars for TEN POUNDS.

Comment

Originally posted by moonablaze View Post
                      They now are saying that it's "typical" to keep off ONE THIRD of the weight lost for three years. The minimum amount overweight you have to be for lap band is 30 lbs. That's major surgery and thousands of dollars for TEN POUNDS.

Wow, I had no idea the lower limit was that low! However, I don't see people w/that little to lose actually having the surgery; most patients seem to be well over the 300-lb mark and many approaching or over 500 lbs. I have no problem believing that people with 30 lbs to lose might opt for the surgery but I suspect that insurance will only pick up the tab if the person is morbidly obese. The insurance company's motivation is $$--paying for the lap band or gastric bypass NOW will save money on other conditions that are caused or worsened by obesity (heart disease, diabetes and its associated conditions, joint replacments, etc.) down the road and end up being cheaper in the long run. The reports I see generally do include a list (usually fairly extensive) of other health issues the patient has, which would seem to back this up.

A person simply doesn't get to 500 lbs w/o there being some deeper problem; at least I don't think so.....and I guess I'm not sure how surgery will fix a problem that has not even been identified yet?
                      Last edited by honeypig; 08-02-2011, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by honeypig View Post
                        A person simply doesn't get to 500 lbs w/o there being some deeper problem; at least I don't think so.....and I guess I'm not sure how surgery will fix a problem that has not even been identified yet?
                        That is true. My new axiom is if you are overweight you are ill. You may not be ill in the same way as someone else but you are ill nonetheless.

For me my illness ( which i am starting to get a grip on) is the failure of hypocretin in my system. till i get that corrected no amount of CW will work for me, I am just very happy that the same issue contraindicates me for general Anathesia so that i was resistant to weight loss surgery back when it required it.
                        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Yes, because I wrote that specifically for you, someone from JP whom I've never met before. Please, prove all of my statements about Bostonians.

If you talk to a nutritionist, follow it, and it isn't working. You either look for something that works, or you don't. When someone wants to change that which is not working, they will.

Again, simple as that.
                          Yeah, if you keep looking, eventually you can find the answers, but for many folks it's too late, too many people tell them CW BS, and they don't know what to do. I went, in order, to an osteopath, a grad student studying triglycerides, drs at an HMO, a quick clinic (they discovered thyroid), internal medicine, 2 dietitians, and U Pittsburgh Med center before I found the right doc. That's at least 8 "experts" that steered me wrong before I found the answers, 8!

I heard everything. Take this pill, no wait, take this one, get a bypass, it's thyroid, take this pill instead, do Weight Watchers, blah blah.

When I was busy going to those 8 experts in a row that steered me wrong or had no idea what to do, just about everyone who knew me as the huge guy would say "look, he eats too much and just isn't trying. The medical thing is just an excuse.." Sound familiar?

Comment

I think one of the reasons people keep trying the same old CW stuff is that they're told it works for everyone else, even though it doesn't. Since none of us is 100% perfect about anything we do (we're human), we assume we're just not trying hard enough or we're doing something wrong. We don't blame it on the bad science.

It's really freeing when you finally understand that you're not lazy or abnormal, you've been told the wrong things.
                            Durp.

Comment

I'd agree that it's hard to follow the CW stuff - you're always hungry, and it doesn't work. My doctor kept referring me to dieticians to lose weight, but I finally lost my temper with the whole thing in January of this year when I was told to go on statins and blood pressure medication. So I thought I would do the opposite of what the dieticians tell me to, and started to lose some weight, so then I started doing loads of reading and research, kept losing weight (56lbs so far), and feel healthier than I have done for many years. I stumbled across MDA in May/June, and lurked for a while - Primal makes so much sense!

But, for 10 years I followed CW diet after CW diet, and every one left me heavier despite compliance with it - WeightWatchers was the same, always hungry, always fighting to stick with it, and eventually giving in - now my doctor is very impressed with what I've achieved, but is convinced that it is through CW dieting (despite my telling him otherwise - he just isn't interested as my weight is down, my cholesterol levels are good and my blood pressure is down too! At least he's not against it!). I so agree with RitaRose that finally understanding what was really going on, and realising that it's false information rather than laziness and gluttony is totally liberating. There's still a long way to go for me weight/size- wise, but now it seems possible rather than impossible!

Comment

Working...
                              X