Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought on why grass fed cows are less healthy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thought on why grass fed cows are less healthy

    Aside from all the factory farming effects that probably make up a large portion of the standard meat vs quality meat argument, you have quality grass fed and quality grain fed meat.

    People are quick to say grain fed cows are less healthy even with better living conditions. They point to the types of fatty acids. My thought is that part of grass feeding is the process of collecting the grass to eat. Maybe the grain fed cows are simply lazier/get less exercise because they don't have to walk around, collect grass, and chew it all???? Maybe it's not the chemical compounds in the grains that are making them less healthy per say?

    Just like how exercise has a higher level of importance in human health than nutrition, maybe exercise comes before nutrition for health of other animals? Makes sense to me. I don't have the biological knowledge of cows or grains to say this for sure though.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 07-30-2011, 10:36 PM.

  • #2
    It is too bad that grains elevate the levels of e coli in the cows to a level that is 1000 times normal for their system. Then the fact that grain feeding a cow for 180 days is a death sentaence for them. There are so many reasons that grain fed beef is bad. You might want to do a little research before spouting off.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
      You might want to do a little research before spouting off.
      Learning comes when one makes a statement and through dialogue determines whether or not that statement is true. There is nothing wrong with putting a thought out there. You don't need to slap it down like that. The reason we have these forums is so that we can engage in conversation and constructive debate. The OP made an argument, you provided a counter argument. That was enough. Now the OP can reply or others can jump in to correct or defend his or your position. And we all learn and grow.

      Jesus.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

      Comment


      • #4
        exercise has a higher level of importance in human health than nutrition,
        At least you discredit yourself and save me the typing.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
          It is too bad that grains elevate the levels of e coli in the cows to a level that is 1000 times normal for their system. Then the fact that grain feeding a cow for 180 days is a death sentaence for them. There are so many reasons that grain fed beef is bad. You might want to do a little research before spouting off.
          If the cow that's fed grains got equal exercise, equal living conditions, and not fed other shit with their grains (like candies in their wrappers), would the statistics still show this? You seem like the one spouting off when you don't provide any evidence. I'm starting a conversation.

          Being grain-fed is awfully vague in itself. Is grain-fed being fed grain for 3 months out of the year when the fields freeze over and grazing on grass for the rest of the year? Is grain-fed being offered equal opportunity to eat fields of grass or heaps of grains? Is grain-fed being fed grain for just the last few months of their lives? What types of grains? Alfalfa? Oats? Hay? Wheat? Others?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            At least you discredit yourself and save me the typing.
            People who eat healthy and don't exercise are all going to be fat.
            People who don't eat as healthy but live a life of exercise will atleast be able to run a mile and lift a log over their heads.

            Life is about motion. You stop moving and you die.
            Last edited by wiltondeportes; 07-30-2011, 10:38 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
              People who eat healthy and don't exercise are all going to be fat.
              No, that's... wrong.

              Life is about motion. You stop moving and you die.
              Health is not just the ability to not be eaten.

              Comment


              • #8
                People who eat healthy and don't exercise are all going to be fat.
                People who don't eat as healthy but live a life of exercise will atleast be able to run a mile and lift a log over their heads.

                Life is about motion. You stop moving and you die.
                Wrong again. Without the proper building blocks, your liver cannot magically provide everything your body needs.

                Tried that. Hurt all over and chronic joint pain made my strength worthless for actual day-long work. I was hauling 200 pound stacks of wood on my shoulders and lifting solid-core doors all day, with plenty of reaching and spraying with a stain and lacquer gun in between. I stirred huge vats of solvent and hauled full buckets all day. I had the power, but my mind, organs and bones were giving out. If you eat like crap, you will become crap. The end.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by weird fish View Post
                  No, that's... wrong.


                  Health is not just the ability to not be eaten.
                  You could feed someone the *healthiest* food ever decided upon. If they lay in a bed for a month, their muscles atrophy and their overall health declines. I don't know how you can possibly argue that nutrition supercedes exercise.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                    Wrong again. Without the proper building blocks, your liver cannot magically provide everything your body needs.

                    Tried that. Hurt all over and chronic joint pain made my strength worthless for actual day-long work. I was hauling 200 pound stacks of wood on my shoulders and lifting solid-core doors all day, with plenty of reaching and spraying with a stain and lacquer gun in between. I stirred huge vats of solvent and hauled full buckets all day. I had the power, but my mind, organs and bones were giving out. If you eat like crap, you will become crap. The end.
                    Nutrition and exercise are related. Good nutrition helps your exercise. Exercise does not help your nutrition.

                    I know eating like crap while moving all the time is not a recipe for perfect health. That's taking it to one extreme. It's still better than the other extreme. Your genes may also not be up to par either. There's plenty of elite athletes out there in the world who eat 'crap' as defined by Primal Blueprint. In there, there's still a lot of elite athletes who probably eat crap as defined by any standards.
                    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 07-30-2011, 11:27 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Eating well (PB) means I now don't have to spend so much time exercising. Suits me! (I also lost 50 pounds in 4 months doing not one shred of exercise! Mind you it was CW VLCD, 810 calories/day)

                      I'm just a lazy bastard! 6 pack by eating well. Easy life!
                      activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by localad View Post
                        Eating well (PB) means I now don't have to spend so much time exercising. Suits me! (I also lost 50 pounds in 4 months doing not one shred of exercise! Mind you it was CW VLCD, 810 calories/day)

                        I'm just a lazy bastard! 6 pack by eating well. Easy life!
                        I'm happy for you.

                        In the name of health though, I don't think of a 6 pack as 'health'. What that means to me is that your body is not storing fat. I'm not saying it's a BAD thing of course.

                        If I was to eat a certain way that caused me to lose 50 pounds while hardly exercising...I'd be in deep doo doo. I'd be rail thin, and I wouldn't be able to keep weight on.

                        Health to me is just having all of your systems working at their best. That's way, way more than muscles and fat.

                        I think healthy eating is being efficient with your foods. Efficient in the $ paid to get your food on the first level. Efficient in the sense of how difficult it was to harvest that animal/plant on the second level. Efficient in calories needed per day on the third level. I believe that is good for prolonging life and promotes certain benefits like raised HGH levels.

                        I'm hypothesizing that certain foods that 'primal' shuns may, in fact, be foods that are actually good under this efficiency paradigm. Maybe those starches in your system allow you to require less daily food. A sweet potato sure is easier to harvest and store than bone marrow (now 4.19 per pound at my local store!). Sure, becoming a carb eater is something that 'primal blueprint' doesn't like. If you ate all your carbs at one time of the day along with your other food, you'd have roughly 20 other hours out of the day to be in a higher ketonic state (amateur estimation based on scientific articles).


                        This is way off track though. Let's get back to the discussion of why Grain Fed Beef is considered worse than Grass Fed. See my first post for elaboration on my idea for this topic.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Cows are not built to eat lots of grain. They get big and fat on it, but it changes the pH of their stomachs and allows for lots of different bacteria to grow there. To keep the bacteria from making the cows sick, they have to be slammed with huge doses of antibiotics in their feed. Those antibiotics then wash into our streams and rivers, causing problems with antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

                          It's pretty much terrible all the way around.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nobody has addressed the stress issue. I'm guessing that a roaming, grass-fed cow is a happy, unstressed cow, which makes it healthier and more healthful to eat. (Surely, nobody will argue that hormones caused by stress affect health?)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                              Learning comes when one makes a statement and through dialogue determines whether or not that statement is true. There is nothing wrong with putting a thought out there. You don't need to slap it down like that. The reason we have these forums is so that we can engage in conversation and constructive debate. The OP made an argument, you provided a counter argument. That was enough. Now the OP can reply or others can jump in to correct or defend his or your position. And we all learn and grow.

                              Jesus.
                              +10000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good FREAKING point!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X