We Are Wrong - I despair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Are Wrong - I despair

This week I've had occasion to be home most mornings for once. On those mornings I had the TV on. I am officially in despair...

Three brief "news"/"talk" segments were presented on three different days and 3 different shows.

1) A morning talk show talked about (you guessed it!) weight loss in women over 40 and it talked about the importance of aerobic activity and lowering those calories and eating low fat. A still quite portly woman was the success story and a very tall, blonde, statuesque dietitian was her co-guest and mentor.

2) Another snippet about how low calories and "self-control" saves the day. Keep counting those calories, keep the fat low and slap a smile on your face! Didn't ya know - a positive attitude makes it so easy to lose weight!!!! (So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong all this time!!)

3) This morning the following segment was on: (This is the one that pushed me to the edge and made me so mad I had to vent so here I am writing this!) Diabetes is rampant and growing. A woman with diabetes has written a helpful ebook with "tasty" recipes - she made some kinda boiled meat with potatoes and carrots and low-fat carnation condensed milk "beautifully creamy" sauce with muschrooms. Then they showed brief snippets of another couple of women with diabetes and both were quite portly but they've lost that weight eating low fat. They then talked about those deserts and those delicious muffins with apple and carrot, "very important for people with diabetes". Ended with stick-thin dietitian praising the ebook and confirming low-fat eating blah blah blah

What appalls me is that this is the crap (where I happened to me in the room and noticed what) they were talking about on TV!!!! How much more crap is on TV yammering on about low fat, positive attitude, obesity, self-control, get that fibre and grains in to filll you up ...?????

I WAS SO FRUSTRATED I STARTED SNAPPING BACK COMMENTS TO THE THE TALKING HEADS ON THE TV!!!

This is crazy. I don't think we will every win this battle. By the way, Gary Taubes and his articles are NEVER mentioned in Australia. NEVER. Conspiracy much?

I despair.
    Last edited by Esperance; 07-28-2011, 05:10 PM.

There's not a lot of money to be made in the Primal/Paleo world. The food is natural, the supplements are mostly in the actual food (heavens no!) and the exercise requires the simplest of equipment (or even just body weight).

That's why you won't see it promoted anywhere. No sponsors.
    Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
      There's not a lot of money to be made in the Primal/Paleo world. The food is natural, the supplements are mostly in the actual food (heavens no!) and the exercise requires the simplest of equipment (or even just body weight).

That's why you won't see it promoted anywhere. No sponsors.
      +1

Gary Taubes isn't talked about on American tv or in our newspapers either. It's all about the food pyramid and the need to eat more grains. head/desk
      Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Don't knock boiled meat with vegetables. I just boiled a lamb leg in some water (mixed with said lamb's blood), threw in some stewing beef, added a few vegetables like spinach, beets, beet greens, carrots and potatoes (I like them after hard workouts and they've been my 20% for the past few days) and threw in some spices. It was pure heaven. The water turned into a deliciously oily broth.
        In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Gary Taubes isn't talked about on American tv or in our newspapers either. It's all about the food pyramid and the need to eat more grains. head/desk

Head desk a million times! Ugh I hate the American diet and no matter how much proof we provide the American government nothing is going to change their minds.

Follow the money, follow the money!! Ugh politicians I swear.. Oh well more Primal food for me

Comment

Nuts are my 20% I guess.. In two months I have consumed 60 pounds of nuts.

Comment

Don't fret about shouting at the TV --- that's a completely healthy reaction. When you throw a brick THROUGH the TV, then you've got a problem. <grin>

Comment

Kill the TV, you'll be happier.

Comment

Can you still buy those sponges that look like bricks? Anyone remember those?
                  Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                  Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                  CW: 146.8 lbs
                  GW 140 lbs
                  A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Archer View Post
                    Nuts are my 20% I guess.. In two months I have consumed 60 pounds of nuts.
                    I hope you're exaggerating. That is WAY too much. That's around a pound a day, which is over 2000 calories. Probably over 60 grams of omega-6 per day (unless they're macadamias) and lots of phytates (bind minerals).

If you're not exaggerating, please lower your consumption of nuts, for the sake of your health.

Comment

Why should I lower my nut consumption? I am eating around 5/6k calories a day, no lie. I have gone from 160 pounds at 22% body fat to 150 pounds and 17% body fat.
                      Please remind me again why I should not consume so many nuts? Specially since everything else I eat is higher in omega 3.
                      Grass finished meats: Checked.
                      Fish: Checked.
                      Nuts: Mixed nuts only 80% peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Archer View Post
                        Please remind me again why I should not consume so many nuts? Specially since everything else I eat is higher in omega 3.
                        Because not only is omega 3 : omega 6 balance important, but total PUFA consumption should be low also. This post from Dr. Kurt Harris says it better than I can: Archevore - Archevore Blog - There is No Such Thing as a Macronutrient Part I -*Fats

I'm not trying to be mean, I just really believe that you're doing a great disservice to your body by eating that many nuts, whether you're losing weight or not.

Comment

Alright well if my body becomes fucked up, I guess I can throw the nuts away. Until then I love them too much and having great results here in the past 8 weeks come Sunday.

Comment

Though I doubt I should worry about my precious nuts.
                            For 22 years of my life I lived off high consumption of soda.
                            I lived off high consumption of carbohydrates.
                            I weighed 280 pounds last year.
                            I went on a strict diet of no fat, high carbohydrate, and little protein and did chronic cardio 4 hours a day every day.
                            I was told to eat nothing but a can of tuna a day every day and did so from January to March.
                            From March to June I ate pretty much nothing but high protein around 200grams of protein a day no carbs and very little fat.
                            From June till today I have been eating MY DAILY APPLE version of the Primal Diet and been following Primal Fitness.
                            I went from 280 pounds last year at 38% body fat down to 150 pounds and 17% body fat in the matter of a year while fucking my body for almost a year and a half.
                            I believe if I made this far, I can eat nuts if I want to eat nuts.

Comment

I can identify. I love nuts. I used to eat peanut butter, and after I first went Primal, almond butter and any other nut that I could get my hands on like they were going to never be available again. Over the past year or so, I've cut down drastically on my nut consumption. I now use them as an occassional condiment.

Sorry for threadjacking.

Comment

Working...
                              X