Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here wants Alzheimers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who here wants Alzheimers?

    So I've seen and been told that non-stick cookware, can give someone alzheimers regardless of if the coating flakes off of the pan or not. And with all honesty, the stainless steel cookware is a real pain to cook with. Would a seasoned cast iron skillet be the way to go then? Seems to me like it'd be the way to go to avoid the side-effects of cooking with a non-stick pan. And it is a bit scary seeing people as young as 40 contracting this disease.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment

    This is my website that gives other good ways to avoid AD, ALS, PD and other neurodegenerative diseases.
    Rebecca

    Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

    Click the banner below to visit my blog:

    sigpic

    Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RSL View Post
      Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment

      This is my website that gives other good ways to avoid AD, ALS, PD and other neurodegenerative diseases.
      your blog is very long. am i getting alzheimers from my cookware or no?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nitrofish1 View Post
        your blog is very long. am i getting alzheimers from my cookware or no?
        RSL has a link in her post above. Did you read that? It's an article by Jack Kruse and could help explain where AD may come from.

        Dr. Mercola rants about nonstick cookware; maybe do a search on his site.

        @RSL thanks for the link; I read the Kruse article and it's eye-opening. My mother died from AD this year and my sisters and I are a bit concerned about our future (although it was not the most inherited type of AD). I have forwarded the link to my sisters.

        Comment


        • #5
          I remember there being a big scare about the health issues of non-stick. I did not remember that it was Alzheimers. (I thought that was aluminum cookware - whatever). My sense is that some of that was overblown by the media but it is a concern. I waffle between the pros and cons of non-stick. I think some of the early news about it's risks were over-blown by the media (big surprise) but as I understand it you do need to be careful about the temperature you cook at (not too hot) and you need to toss if chipped. I'd need to look into the research before buying. But, if I got a non-stick, I would probably be pretty careful with it to make certain it doesn't chip.

          Personally, I don't own any non-stick pans. My seasoned cast iron works great and when something does stick or burn (more likely) a little elbow grease never hurt me. You have to take care of cast iron. - this is not a pan to put in the dishwasher. Commit to caring for it and it will last you two lifetimes. I'd love to get a quality wok soon for stir-frys. They are, I think typically made of carbon steel (although they come in cast iron really don't' want the weight in a wok) and are non-stick when seasoned. so that may be another material to consider.

          Over the top headline by the way.
          My primal journal that I don't update enough:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

          Comment


          • #6
            And now for something completely different:
            Alzheimer's Disease May Be 'Type 3' Diabetes
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

            Comment


            • #7
              My family all have oddly wired brains, so we're good.
              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

              Comment


              • #8
                all of my cookware is either stainless steel, cast iron, or carbon steel. cast iron and carbon steel must be seasoned and cared for to prevent rust and preserve the seasoning. stainless steel takes experience to cook food on it well. with the right temperature of the pan, and the fat added at the right time, i can make beautiful, fluffy scrambled eggs on my stainless steel skillet (which has a copper plate on the bottom for heat distribution). but it takes experience and practice.
                my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nitrofish1 View Post
                  So I've seen and been told that non-stick cookware, can give someone alzheimers regardless of if the coating flakes off of the pan or not. And with all honesty, the stainless steel cookware is a real pain to cook with. Would a seasoned cast iron skillet be the way to go then? Seems to me like it'd be the way to go to avoid the side-effects of cooking with a non-stick pan. And it is a bit scary seeing people as young as 40 contracting this disease.

                  Thanks
                  Hi

                  I use ceramic cookware and it's great. I recommended it to my mother in-law (lovely lady but really fussy about her cookware) and she loves it. Here's the website:

                  Earthchef nonstick cookware

                  Cheers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nitrofish1 View Post
                    So I've seen and been told that non-stick cookware, can give someone alzheimers regardless of if the coating flakes off of the pan or not. And with all honesty, the stainless steel cookware is a real pain to cook with. Would a seasoned cast iron skillet be the way to go then? Seems to me like it'd be the way to go to avoid the side-effects of cooking with a non-stick pan. And it is a bit scary seeing people as young as 40 contracting this disease.

                    Thanks
                    If you find stainless steel hard to cook with, cast iron will kick your @ss.

                    If you are worried about teflon coating causing something as severe as Alzheimer's then why is how hard some other type of pan is to cook with even an issue?

                    Honestly, you can't be bothered to read through a link someone sent in response to your query - you just want an immediate yes/no response from random internet strangers.

                    Really?

                    This is how you cover yourself on major health issues?

                    Edited to remove suggestion of cyanide therapy to prevent Alzheimer's.
                    Last edited by brahnamin; 07-27-2011, 03:30 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by brahnamin View Post
                      If you find stainless steel hard to cook with, cast iron will kick your @ss.

                      If you are worried about teflon coating causing something as severe as Alzheimer's then why is how hard some other type of pan is to cook with even an issue?

                      Honestly, you can't be bothered to read through a link someone sent in response to your query - you just want an immediate yes/no response from random internet strangers.

                      Really?

                      This is how you cover yourself on major health issues?

                      Edited to remove suggestion of cyanide therapy to prevent Alzheimer's.
                      I read through the post that she sent me, and it didn't mention in that article about non-stick cookware. And the other blog articles aren't wanting to load for me. I looked up dr. mercola's articles though. thanks for the help.....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nitrofish1 View Post
                        your blog is very long. am i getting alzheimers from my cookware or no?
                        Sorry. I gave you some information about avoiding AD, which I thought was your concern. If you are only concerned about one way of possibly getting AD, but are not concerned about the other ways of getting it, I'm sure my website will be of no use to you. Sorry to have troubled you with it. Feel free to ignore it.

                        Rebecca

                        Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

                        Click the banner below to visit my blog:

                        sigpic

                        Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                        Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                        So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                        Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                        Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nitrofish1 View Post
                          And it is a bit scary seeing people as young as 40 contracting this disease.
                          Not scary enough, I guess, if the only way you are interested in preventing it is in whether or not you use teflon pans...
                          Rebecca

                          Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

                          Click the banner below to visit my blog:

                          sigpic

                          Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                          Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                          So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                          Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                          Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RSL View Post
                            Not scary enough, I guess, if the only way you are interested in preventing it is in whether or not you use teflon pans...
                            well the other way that was listed on your site was also the high fat low carb diet, and coconut oil. i havent tried the oil but i believe the diet is why were here xD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Viking View Post
                              @RSL thanks for the link; I read the Kruse article and it's eye-opening. My mother died from AD this year and my sisters and I are a bit concerned about our future (although it was not the most inherited type of AD). I have forwarded the link to my sisters.
                              My grandfather and my mother died agonizing deaths of the heriditary type of ALS at young ages (59 and 62). My other grandfather died of Parkinson's in his 70s. My younger sister contracted early onset Alzheimer's in her late 40s.

                              All of these people ate the SAD. This has got to stop, and I want to see it stop with my generation. Sadly, I am the only one of five sisters who believes that nutrition is important. My sister with AD has now started trying to eat more low carb and she is taking coconut oil every day, but it remains to be seen if she will be helped.

                              I hope that you and your family are helped! Thanks for sharing the link. If you "Like" it, it will help to spread this information.
                              Rebecca

                              Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

                              Click the banner below to visit my blog:

                              sigpic

                              Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                              Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                              So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                              Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                              Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X