Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One big time of plenty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One big time of plenty?

    In nature, an abundance of food results in a population boom. When the population grows too high or the food is lessened (drought, natural disasters) then the population falls rapidly.
    Couldn't one make the statement that despite all of our (the human race) success, we are still a part of the natural order?
    Are we not simply in an extended time of plenty?

    /end philosophical ramblings
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

  • #2
    i can imagine that sometime in the probably not to distant future, something will happen that brings the modern world as we know it to its knees. whether that something is man made or an act of nature who knows. anyways when it does happen things will turn back into a more hunter gatherer survival of the fittest type of world. so to answer your question, yes.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
      i can imagine that sometime in the probably not to distant future, something will happen that brings the modern world as we know it to its knees. whether that something is man made or an act of nature who knows. anyways when it does happen things will turn back into a more hunter gatherer survival of the fittest type of world. so to answer your question, yes.
      That was a rhetorical question.
      In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

      Comment


      • #4
        Are we not simply in an extended time of plenty?
        Yes. Plenty of wheat! Grown using petroleum oil fertiliser. Oil runs out.......time of plenty over.

        Hu2 will survive and adapt.
        activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
          i can imagine that sometime in the probably not to distant future, something will happen that brings the modern world as we know it to its knees. whether that something is man made or an act of nature who knows. anyways when it does happen things will turn back into a more hunter gatherer survival of the fittest type of world. so to answer your question, yes.
          Doubtful... If man still exists after such a disaster (which I doubt anything will exist after the Muslims blow up the world), we won't go back to hunter-gatherers. The people who survive the disaster will still remember to build governments. They'll remember how to harness electricity from streams and turn it into artificial light. They'll remember their table manners and tell kids to wash the dirt off their faces. If a man from civilization still exists and still remembers, we will never go back to hunter-gatherers, unfortunately.

          I really just sometimes wish that humans didn't exist at all. I wish I had been born... anything else and humans had never evolved.
          Last edited by Aly; 07-24-2011, 10:28 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Aly View Post
            I really just sometimes wish that humans didn't exist at all. I wish I had been born... anything else and humans had never evolved.
            Or perhaps that we hadn't gotten arrogant enough to think ourselves above nature?
            In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Aly View Post
              (which I doubt anything will exist after the Muslims blow up the world)
              I think you're out of line there.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Aly View Post
                Doubtful... If man still exists after such a disaster (which I doubt anything will exist after the Muslims blow up the world), we won't go back to hunter-gatherers. The people who survive the disaster will still remember to build governments. They'll remember how to harness electricity from streams and turn it into artificial light. They'll remember their table manners and tell kids to wash the dirt off their faces. If a man from civilization still exists and still remembers, we will never go back to hunter-gatherers, unfortunately.

                I really just sometimes wish that humans didn't exist at all. I wish I had been born... anything else and humans had never evolved.
                well if what happened after katrina is any sign then i suspect the people that would be smart enough to re-figure out all that stuff will likely be killed off by all the crazies in pretty short order
                Primal Chaos
                37yo 6'5"
                6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                current 338lbs 49" waist
                goal 240lbs 35" waist

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tigerfeet View Post
                  I think you're out of line there.
                  It's not politically correct, but what else will wipe us out? Aliens? Only in sci-fi movies. Biological disaster? When's the last time an entire species has been wiped out by disease? Much less one that knows how to cure it's own ailments. Natural disaster? One that wipes out all humans all over the planet? I can't imagine a disaster so large that could wipe out all humans.

                  Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                  well if what happened after katrina is any sign then i suspect the people that would be smart enough to re-figure out all that stuff will likely be killed off by all the crazies in pretty short order
                  True. But then all humans will be decedents of the crazies! Let's cross our fingers that wheat wipes out the human race!

                  Edit: Or at least let's hope wheat wipes out the wheat-eaters.
                  Last edited by Aly; 07-25-2011, 01:53 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    an asteroid impact or a very large volcano could certainly kill off all or most humans although i tend to agree with your first example lol
                    Primal Chaos
                    37yo 6'5"
                    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                    current 338lbs 49" waist
                    goal 240lbs 35" waist

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tigerfeet View Post
                      I think you're out of line there.
                      I agree. Last time I checked the US has the largest nuclear arsenal around, not "the Muslims" however you are defining that term.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tigerfeet View Post
                        I think you're out of line there.
                        In the light of the current situation in Norway The worst massmurderer in history was a Christian Norweigan with a twisted mind), I think its safe to say that humans, no matter what religions or beliefs, will be its own worst enemy. No need to pick out one particular religion.

                        To the rest of you, have any of you read Cloud Atlas? Brilliant book that discusses the very issues in this thread. Highly recommended.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                          In the light of the current situation in Norway The worst massmurderer in history was a Christian Norweigan with a twisted mind), I think its safe to say that humans, no matter what religions or beliefs, will be its own worst enemy. No need to pick out one particular religion.

                          To the rest of you, have any of you read Cloud Atlas? Brilliant book that discusses the very issues in this thread. Highly recommended.
                          He's hardly the worst mass murderer in history
                          Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                          Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                          Current Weight: 235 pounds
                          Goal Weight: 195 pounds

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            I agree. Last time I checked the US has the largest nuclear arsenal around,.
                            fall
                            Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                            Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                            Current Weight: 235 pounds
                            Goal Weight: 195 pounds

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kenn View Post
                              He's hardly the worst mass murderer in history
                              We have not seen a single man kill that many people unassisted since WW2 in Norway, if we are really going to get stuck into the details here, lets just say it was a horrendous massacre commited by one person. Happy?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X