Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FDA Cracking Down on Walnuts (and Omega-3s)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDA Cracking Down on Walnuts (and Omega-3s)

The public cannot be informed of the health benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids. Any company which tries to claim Omega-3s are heart healthy will get a cease and desist letter from the FDA.

Diamond food company made the mistake of claiming that Omega-3 fatty acids are healthy for your heart on their walnut packaging, so now walnuts are classified as drugs according to the FDA! Yes, drugs!

However, thanks to the FDA, fat laden fried products like potato chips from Frito-Lay are allowed to make all the health claims they want.

Walnuts Are Drugs, Says FDA

The government tells us ketchup is a vegetable....derp
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by Grok View Post
      The public cannot be informed of the health benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids. Any company which tries to claim Omega-3s are heart healthy will get a cease and desist letter from the FDA.

Diamond food company made the mistake of claiming that Omega-3 fatty acids are healthy for your heart on their walnut packaging, so now walnuts are classified as drugs according to the FDA! Yes, drugs!

However, thanks to the FDA, fat laden fried products like potato chips from Frito-Lay are allowed to make all the health claims they want.

Walnuts Are Drugs, Says FDA
      These are the same people that taught us how to eat our way to obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. They also tried to ban electronic cigarettes that are probably saving thousands of lives. I am so glad my tax dollars are being used to make us safer and healthier.

Comment

This is astonishing. However, I must say that certainly here in Ireland the walnuts you buy in the supermakets are almost always rancid from being so old - its only when you eat them in their natural state that you realise how awful they are.

Comment

But they do allow Bubble Bee and Starfish to promote their products as a source of Omega-3s. Typical lack of logic.
          My primal journal that I don't update enough:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
            The government tells us ketchup is a vegetable....derp
            well I was told in Arkansas that rice was a vegetable LOL
            Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
              well I was told in Arkansas that rice was a vegetable LOL
              And how many people don't realize corn is not a vegetable? LOTS!

Comment

Its a money game, they are not inherently trying to keep Omega 3 a secret. They put some cereal company through the ringer for the labels on Cheerios, they had to either change the label or market and control like a drug. Otherwise any derp out there could sell any kind of snake oil, at least now they need a disclaimer.

John R

Comment

omg...I have some walnuts. if I eat them, will I be taking an illegal drug?

Honestly, the FDA protects its friends far more than it protects the public. Any apparent lack of logic is easily explained by the basic rule of government: follow the money.
                  Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
                    Any apparent lack of logic is easily explained by the basic rule of government: follow the money.
                    All money trails end at The Fed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
                      omg...I have some walnuts. if I eat them, will I be taking an illegal drug?

Honestly, the FDA protects its friends far more than it protects the public. Any apparent lack of logic is easily explained by the basic rule of government: follow the money.
                      An agent from F.W.S. has been sent to your house. When agent arrives it is in your best interest to cooperate. Anything you don't say will be held against you in a court and you will be given additional charges. Re-education camp may be necessary as well, you will be given an exam during your interrogation to determine.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home
                      Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                      Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                      Current Weight: 235 pounds
                      Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
                        An agent from F.W.S. has been sent to your house. When agent arrives it is in your best interest to cooperate. Anything you don't say will be held against you in a court and you will be given additional charges. Re-education camp may be necessary as well, you will be given an exam during your interrogation to determine.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home
                        If they bring me some fish and wildlife, I'll follow them anywhere.
                        Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

OK, here's what the FDA is doing. To prevent companies from making false or misleading health claims for their products, product labels and advertisements (including company websites) cannot claim health benefits that have not been proven to exist for that specific product. If such a claim is made, then the company is, in legal terms, claiming that their product is a drug and performs a drug-like action. Therefore, this product is now considered a non-approved drug. So, the company has two choices: remove the health statements from its labeling/advertising or submit the product under an NDA to be approved.

Here's the original warning letter: Diamond Food Inc. 2/22/10

In this case, the company referenced research associated with Omega 3s, now, Omega 3s may have health benefits. The FDA is not claiming that they do not. But, by including these claims in their advertising the company is implying that eating their walnuts will - inhibit tumor growth, aleviate depression, lower cholesteror, etc. The problem with this is that by implying that the walnuts will do these things, the company is implying that the walnuts act as a drug (by the legal definition). The FDA is telling them that if they are claiming a drug like action, they must be willing/able to prove it.

These cases are pretty normal. The intent of the law is to prevent companies from making health claims that are not true. It may be pretty partenalistic, but it's hardly evil.

For entertainment, here's a list of the 2011 warning letters issued so far: 2011 Warning Letters

I really, really, really need a new job... (I'm a regulatory consultant for FDA regulated companies, I spend wayyyyy too much of my time explaining how the FDA thinks, ugh I actually speak federaleese....)

Comment

Originally posted by Chasintrail View Post
                            OK, here's what the FDA is doing. To prevent companies from making false or misleading health claims for their products, product labels and advertisements (including company websites) cannot claim health benefits that have not been proven to exist for that specific product. If such a claim is made, then the company is, in legal terms, claiming that their product is a drug and performs a drug-like action. Therefore, this product is now considered a non-approved drug. So, the company has two choices: remove the health statements from its labeling/advertising or submit the product under an NDA to be approved.

Here's the original warning letter: Diamond Food Inc. 2/22/10

In this case, the company referenced research associated with Omega 3s, now, Omega 3s may have health benefits. The FDA is not claiming that they do not. But, by including these claims in their advertising the company is implying that eating their walnuts will - inhibit tumor growth, aleviate depression, lower cholesteror, etc. The problem with this is that by implying that the walnuts will do these things, the company is implying that the walnuts act as a drug (by the legal definition). The FDA is telling them that if they are claiming a drug like action, they must be willing/able to prove it.

These cases are pretty normal. The intent of the law is to prevent companies from making health claims that are not true. It may be pretty partenalistic, but it's hardly evil.

For entertainment, here's a list of the 2011 warning letters issued so far: 2011 Warning Letters

I really, really, really need a new job... (I'm a regulatory consultant for FDA regulated companies, I spend wayyyyy too much of my time explaining how the FDA thinks, ugh I actually speak federaleese....)
                            Awww Chasintrail, there you go spoiling a perfectly good anti-government political rant with facts and actually knowing what you're talking about and stuff. You are such a buzzkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              Awww Chasintrail, there you go spoiling a perfectly good anti-government political rant with facts and actually knowing what you're talking about and stuff. You are such a buzzkill.
                              LOL, carry on. Nothing against a good political rant here!

Comment

Working...
                              X