Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crusty Faced Grok?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crusty Faced Grok?

    When I transitioned to a primal lifestyle a year ago, I went from showering every morning with shampoo, face wash and body wash to rinsing off with just water every few days. It was liberating!

    However, I soon realized that those morning showers served to remove dead skin/morning crust from my face. I have since gone back to showering with just water every morning, but actually rubbing the gunk off of my face and then using moisturizer. My face feels a million times better.

    So, I am just conditioned to enjoy a gunk free face or did Grok put water on his face in the morning? I am an avid camper, so I don't mind being a little dirty when I'm outdoors, but it is different when I am sitting at my desk at work.

    Do any of you guys have problems with crust and, if so, how do you deal with it?

  • #2
    everyone knows that Grok would never shower or wash his face. give it a try! I'm sure your friends and co-workers will love your healthy clean caveman scent.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by marqueemoon View Post
      everyone knows that Grok would never shower or wash his face. give it a try! I'm sure your friends and co-workers will love your healthy clean caveman scent.
      honestly, I am not a particularly stinky dude, so stink was not an issue. Just the general crustiness.

      Comment


      • #4
        I like a quick face wash with plain cool water in the morning, followed by drying with a towel to exfoliate a little. I was doing this for years before I went primal, and people always compliment me on my skin.
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

        Owly's Journal

        Comment


        • #5
          Here's the thing, when everyone is "natural", nobody notices. But when you're the only one, EVERYONE notices.

          No, washing and removing dirt and gunk is not natural. But that won't earn you any rewards in society. Culture dictates you be fresh faced and glowing and smell like fresh washed unicorns. It's not natural, but it will let you keep your job. The best you can hope to do is get as close to the expected results as possible while still maintaining a healthy body. If that means exfoliating and moisturizing, then so be it, but just try to do the least amount of harm possible.


          Crap! I'm An Adult!

          My Primal Journal

          http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

          Comment


          • #6
            i am a naturally oily person and my head seems even more so. given my afro-celtic decent i dont have a clue what to do for my greasy goop , evey once in a while i just use baking soda.
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

            Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

            CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


            Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by quelsen View Post
              i am a naturally oily person and my head seems even more so. given my afro-celtic decent i dont have a clue what to do for my greasy goop , evey once in a while i just use baking soda.
              yeah, apparently I'm the only person who developed dandruff AFTER going primal, so I feel you. Maybe our diets are still off, but most likely paleo is not a magic bullet for everyone.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CoyoteVick View Post
                Here's the thing, when everyone is "natural", nobody notices. But when you're the only one, EVERYONE notices.

                No, washing and removing dirt and gunk is not natural. But that won't earn you any rewards in society. Culture dictates you be fresh faced and glowing and smell like fresh washed unicorns. It's not natural, but it will let you keep your job. The best you can hope to do is get as close to the expected results as possible while still maintaining a healthy body. If that means exfoliating and moisturizing, then so be it, but just try to do the least amount of harm possible.
                haha...I couldn't agree more! I just read an article about Bradley Cooper where he mentions that he does not wear cologne or deodorant. Well then, I say he's basically primal! Muahahaha.

                Comment


                • #9
                  My point was that this is not about exactly imitating what "Grok" would have done because that is beyond retarded. Relax and wash your damn face. No need to ask an internet forum if it's "Grok approved" or whatever. Christ.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Do what works for you.

                    Personally I continue to use soap and shampoo because I love handmade scented soap, and I have an extensive perfume collection. None of it causes me any trouble and it brings me enjoyment. It's possible my primal ancestor dabbed herself with good smelling stuff when she found it for the same reason I do.
                    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
                    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
                    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Why wouldn't Grok wash up? Homeboy would try to get laid now and then, I'm sure.

                      I rinse with water every day, soap and shampoo every 3 or 4. Still use deodorant. My skin's healthy, and I smell good.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by iammysticyte View Post
                        When I transitioned to a primal lifestyle a year ago, I went from showering every morning with shampoo, face wash and body wash to rinsing off with just water every few days. It was liberating!
                        Yes, I doubt you could find many dermatologists who would advise people to use much soap. In fact, about.com has a whole page on the problems connected with this:

                        Skin Care Information - What Soap Does to Your Skin

                        (Similarly, can you be sure that everything that's in your toothpaste is entirely necessary and harmless?)

                        The Finns say that sweating in a Finnish steam-bath followed by dousing yourself in cold water is far better for the skin. Many cultures, in fact, use some kind of steam-bath—think of the Native American sweat lodge, for example.

                        Our perceptions of what's needed are driven by adverts.

                        I also think that even if all products corporations wish to sell us were necessary (which I don't believe for a moment), people eating a low-carb diet would need fewer or none of them. The high levels of sugar in the current diet definitely help to make people's skin smell. One writer—William Duffy in Sugar Blues, perhaps—says that if you stop eating sugar for a year and then go and sit in a place frequented by mosquitoes with a friend who eats a standard diet, it's the friend they'll go for.

                        I think what people did in the distant past was probably pretty variable. Some probably rarely bothered washing at all; others would undoubtedly have taken a refreshing dip in the river; and I expect some used sweat lodges. Anything you can find in the ethnographic sources would probably have been paralleled in the Upper Palaeolithic. One source, I forget which (possibly Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca), mentions Florida Indians bathing in the river every morning; and he says that when the river was iced over they'd just "break the ice with their bodies".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm certain grok rinsed himself from time to time, and s/he would have figured out that getting animal fat on dry skin soothed it and would probably have rubbed it on if needed. Wash if you need to with a cloth and water or even a very mild soap and use as natural a moisturizer as possible. I use coconut oil after shaving, a natural store bought type on my hands, especially these days with my hands constantly in vinegar water (for cleaning) and the dirt when gardening.
                          Last edited by Blackcatbone; 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM. Reason: * I'm addle-brained after scrubbing the front of the house.
                          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X