Deodorant.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deodorant.

Been using Degree solid white deodorant for years and recently I have been getting these itchy red patches under my arms. What gives? Any suggestions for more Primal alternative and one that works. Thanks.
    www.everymanpaleo.com

"Its not that I am too old, your music really does suck..."

You may have developed a sensitivity to some ingredient in the deodorant. I've had the same problem with a couple of brands. Switched to Tom's of Maine unscented a few years ago, and have had no problems with it. It's also aluminum free, unlike many brands.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Sweet thanks Mike.
      www.everymanpaleo.com

Comment

I like Crystal Deodorant. It's basically one block of salt that you rub under your arms in the shower. It doesn't stop you from sweating, but it does make you not smell (it kills the germs that make you smell)

Only trick is that you have to be REALLY careful when putting it on after you've shaved...

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

I'm just putting in another vote for Tom's of Maine. I have quite a few sensitivities to products typically applied to skin and Tom's of Maine Apricot is fantastic! Only problem is that it's a deodorant, not an antiperspirant.

Comment

I just use baking soda works fine for me. Don't need to smell pretty just not smell bad
            ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

So you just slap some baking soda up under your arms?
              www.everymanpaleo.com

Comment

Be careful with baking soda. Most conventional baking soda is make with aluminum, and if that's what's making you break out with deodorant, then it won't help. For me, baking soda is just too harsh for my skin, even the aluminum free kind.

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

I'm very sensitive to chemicals, and have had no problems after switching to Crystal. I actually like the fact that I still sweat (I know, I know, I'm a girl and its supposed to be gross), but I don't smell at all. I figure if I'm supposed to be sweating, I should be sweating! I use the hunk o' Crystal, and I also use the pomegranate spray, and find they work great at keeping me funk free.
                  Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by pizzmor View Post
                    Been using Degree solid white deodorant for years and recently I have been getting these itchy red patches under my arms. What gives? Any suggestions for more Primal alternative and one that works. Thanks.
                    There is a thread on here somewhere about primal deodorant alternatives. I used one of the "recipes," but being dude-like as I am I just dumped in what thought was the right amount and it works like a charm.

2 Tbsp coconut oil
                    1/4 cup baking soda
                    20 drops essential oil (I used lavender)

The oil isn't necessary other than the fact that it makes you smell purty. I have been thinking about trying sandalwood (or similar) for something different.
                    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Watch out, crystal deoderants are made out of aluminum, at least Thai is. Its a different kind of aluminnum than whats used in all other deoderants, and it might not put enough on to have you really absorb much through the skin, but its aluminum nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by wildwabbit View Post
                        Watch out, crystal deoderants are made out of aluminum, at least Thai is. Its a different kind of aluminnum than whats used in all other deoderants, and it might not put enough on to have you really absorb much through the skin, but its aluminum nonetheless.
                        really? Mine is just a big chunk of salt crystal... are you talking about the crystal deodorant that is in the applicators?

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

Comment

This is what I use: Crystal Body Deodorant - Le Crystal Naturel - Unscented - All Natural - No Aluminum Chlorohydrate
                          Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
                            All Natural - No Aluminum Chlorohydrate[/url]
                            Yes, the website says no aluminum chlorohydrate and no aluminum zirconium, but they never say "no aluminum". Because it turns out that these crystals are still aluminum compounds: Potassium alum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its actually kind of misleading they say "no aluminum X or Y" to make one think there is no aluminum at all, when its still based around aluminum.

Now this may be an ok form of aluminum or not. I don't know. It is classified as a weak skin irritant and if you google it for use in deoderant you can read some bad stuff about it too, mostly if someone eats it (well, thats bad for most things anyway, so I wouldn't get paniced over that).

Comment

Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
                              There is a thread on here somewhere about primal deodorant alternatives. I used one of the "recipes," but being dude-like as I am I just dumped in what thought was the right amount and it works like a charm.

2 Tbsp coconut oil
                              1/4 cup baking soda
                              20 drops essential oil (I used lavender)

The oil isn't necessary other than the fact that it makes you smell purty. I have been thinking about trying sandalwood (or similar) for something different.
                              sandalwood is a nice smell. i use tea tree oil in mine.
                              my primal journal:
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X