How impertinent is peddalgrease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How impertinent is peddalgrease?

How important is pedigree in deciding who to listen to and who not to listen to for health and fitness advice?

Do you respect doctors and athletes over regular everyday folks? Is the guy who lost 100 lbs more reliable that someone who has never been fat?

Or is it just important that it makes sense to you before the self experimentation begins?

Certainly not doctors and athletes. I listen to their point of view, see if they have data or strong argumentation to back it up, try it on myself, and then the more they have been right in the past, the more likely I am to try out what they recommend.
    Lifting Journal

Comment

I've heard absolute crap from people with advanced degrees and as well as those with the ability to sell.

It has to make sense, and they have to have the data to back up their claims. If they can't tell me "why" or if they won't answer questions well, I'm not wasting my time.
      Durp.

Comment

Also, the thread title is straight out of Damn You Autocorrect...
        Lifting Journal

Comment

Pedigree? Advanced degrees? Experienced expertise? All go out the window in this topsy-turvy world of "Common Wisdom" or "Conventional Wisdom" and seriously fucked-up medical establishment doctrine.

The internet helps tremendously in finding information that makes sense, but you have to read a lot and come to your own conclusions and follow your own horse-sense. If you are not accustomed to making your own decisions it can be scary but you'll get used to it.
          Positively Radical — Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Experience remains the best teacher.
            This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
            Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
              I've heard absolute crap from people with advanced degrees and as well as those with the ability to sell.

It has to make sense, and they have to have the data to back up their claims. If they can't tell me "why" or if they won't answer questions well, I'm not wasting my time.
              +1

This is what keeps me coming back to MDA - Mark is really good at expressing himself and is always on point with real research to back it up. He not only tells you what he thinks and why he thinks it but also who thought it before him that led him to thinking that way and where I can go to get the hard data behind the thinking in case I should desire to think such thunks myself.

Comment

Can someone explain the title of this thread to me? Is it "how important are degrees"? I think so...

Degrees are a measure of institutional acceptability. They don't mean anything in terms of truth value. Someone with a degree is no less, and no more!, likely to be a) educated and b) psycho than anyone else.
                “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
                  Can someone explain the title of this thread to me? Is it "how important are degrees"?
                  I think it was supposed to be: how important is *pedigree*

This is the first paragraph in the OP's opening post

Originally posted by hamsterRash
                  How important is pedigree in deciding who to listen to and who not to listen to for health and fitness advice?
                  Last edited by brahnamin; 07-13-2011, 06:49 PM. Reason: to add quote

Comment

To bring up the old saw:

Q. What do you call the person who graduates last in his class at medical school?

A. Doctor.

Comment

I will listen to the "expert" opinions, but will follow those who have been where I am at and have succeeded in getting where I want to go. The biggest convincing factor for me with primal was hearing so many stories from people who sounded like me and found cures eating this way. The Dr. said my pain was not related to diet ... so much for pedegree! I value education very highly but nothing speaks like experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X