Soaps, Shampoo, Hair & Body Care

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soaps, Shampoo, Hair & Body Care

I did a quick search for the subject words, but not much came up.

I'm doing more just-water cleansing (using wash cloth and clean water) and have noticed better skin and hair -- less drying, less itchy, more moisture, and feeling soft and healthy. Also have tried (and have done rather well) using just cold or room temperature water. It is invigorating to say the least!

It's not 100%. Every few days I soap and shampoo up, and I'm still using hair products for hair styling.

Has anyone looked into organic or natural hair and body products, or have recipes for making their own?

I found John Masters online--has anyone tried these?

Thanks!

L

I also do water only personal hygiene. If I need to wash off nasty stuff, I'll use soap, but other than that, just water. I noticed the exact same effects
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

I'm another NOPoo girl too!

My daughter is really sensitive to chemicals so about half of my blog is organic body care.
      ~Blog~

Comment

I'm starting to take baby steps in this direction. I've just ditched conditioner completely, and last night I bought natural/organic replacements for my shampoo and soap/face wash (Kiss My Face and Dr. Bronner's, respectively). I'm too cheap to throw out the dregs of my conventional stuff, but it's almost gone anyway. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Sudenveri View Post
          I'm too cheap to throw out the dregs of my conventional stuff, but it's almost gone anyway. We'll see what happens.
          I feel the same way. I'll slowly use what I have -- I've even diluted them for lesser impact...goes into that slow transition into it.

I still use toothpaste at least once a day before bed...other times I use just the toothbrush and floss/pick.

Comment

Originally posted by leomeister View Post
            I feel the same way. I'll slowly use what I have -- I've even diluted them for lesser impact...goes into that slow transition into it.

I still use toothpaste at least once a day before bed...other times I use just the toothbrush and floss/pick.
            I'm actually finding it harder to give up the cleansing products than the foods. To be fair, I was already eating pretty primally so it wasn't that big of a transition for me. I guess this is where I'm making all that up, heh.

Comment

I've never, even before going primal, used soap on my body and I've always had healthy looking skin (until recently when I got a nasty case of chiggers!). As for shampoo, I've been taking less showers recently and my hair will only get oily after 4 or 5 days after showering. It's really quite nice.

Comment

I haven't used shampoo for just over a week. Nobody seems to have noticed. I just use water and rub my scalp.
                The real test will be when I go to the barber's.

Comment

I love Cheeky Maiden Soap Co.
                  They have shampoo cubes, facial wash cubes, tooth soap, kids soap and wonderful lotions.
                  ~Danielle~

Comment

I watched one of the videos on how to make soap online, and was surprised by the use of Lye which is highly caustic. Maybe I'll skip using soap all together!

A vigorous rub with cold water and a wash cloth has been great! Not shampoo'ing has been okay. My hair is frizzy since it is short and thick. Still looking for a good organic hair wax or pomade.

Comment

I replaced shampoo with baking soda which is really working well, but I still use bar soap. I guess I could try baking soda as soap, too, I just didn't think of it until now.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I use a little castile soap on my privates and coconut oil in my hair once a week. Baking soda is my deoderant. Been like that for few months now and works out fine for me. That's all I got.
                        ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

Hey guys, I stopped using soap and shampoo on the 4th April. I was out of work at the time so figured it was a safe time to experiment. No one has noticed. (I am working again now) Im from the UK, and spend most of my time is SEAsia or West Africa for work, and im a sweaty git at the best of times. But since I stopped with the whole soap and shampoo thing i have smelt better not worse. Skin and hair are softer, and my dry skin is better.

I think if i can fully primal my diet it should help clear up the remains of my dry skin, problem is living in hotels so much for work, in 3rd world locations, its tough to get good primal grub.

The only time i use soap is a hand wash before i eat as im working in some dodgy places :-)

Comment

If I wear mineral makeup, I wash my face with an olive cleansing oil. If I don't wear makeup, I just rinse with water. I also wash my hair with conditioner (Deva). I have curly hair which tends to be dry so I just leave the conditioner in. I comb it through wet and just let it dry. I have some African black soap which I use on my body sometimes but mostly its just water. For deodorant, I use that rock stuff. I was this way long before going primal. I have really sensitive skin and most conventional products irritate it. I also sneeze my head off from most scents.

My husband was in the habit of just using whatever from the drugstore. Since I do most of the shopping, he's just used whatever hippie soap I put in the shower. He went to Target on his own the other day because I was taking care of my dad and he bought Head & Shoulders and Dial. I can hardly stand to walk into our bathroom because of the smell. I'm considering asking him to throw it out. I don't want to be a pain, but I also like not sneezing all the way through my shower. It's not as bad as when he first put it in there so I might just stick it out. I guess it's mostly off gassed. I just don't get how people think that smells good. It smells like plastic.

ETA: I also recently gave up toothpaste. I was using the fluoride free types for awhile but I was reading recently about how glycerin can have a demineralizing effect. So I switched to just plain baking soda or Solay tooth powder. If you want it more paste-like, it works well mixed with a little coconut oil.
                            Last edited by DaisyEater; 07-15-2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

To the previous poster who was worried about lye in soaps, it's not a concern. By the time the soap is finished the lye has been 100% converted to inert soapy stuff. That's how the soap making process works, and how it's worked for hundreds and thousands of years, ever since Grok noticed that fat found in the ash of an old campfire was weirdly bubbly and not food anymore.

I still use shampoo, but I stopped using conditioner about six months ago. Now I use Prell Classic (in the bottle, not the tube) and coconut oil, mixed roughly 2/3's shampoo and 1/3 oil (your hair may require a different ratio to not look oily). My longer than waistlength hair is in the best shape it has ever been, all my scalp issues have cleared up and I don't lose hair in the shower anymore! I'm a person who used to spend $50 on a bottle of shampoo (don't tell my husband, lol), so this is like a miracle to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X