No announcement yet.

Hemoglobin too low, couldn't donate blood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This post has been very interesting to me for a whole other reason. Lately I have had really bad restless legs when trying to go to sleep. Looking that up, one of the things it states is that it may be due to low iron (the one symptom that seemed to fit me best). I also eat a lot of iron-rich foods, so I was confused as to why I had come down with this lately. But looking at my diet, I have been very low on vitamin C. So thank you all for the insight and I'm going to try to eat more vitamin C rich foods and see if that helps! =)

Comment

Wow, Eric, really? I suffer terribly from RLS, especially in the afternoon. I can't sit still for more than 20 minutes. I recently bought an exercise ball to replace my office chair in the afternoons, and it seems to help. But low iron? Great, something new to google and distract me from work. LOL!

Comment

I like liver as well, but my husband hates it and can't even stand the smell of it cooking... so we don't eat it.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
        Current weight: 199
        Goal: 145

Comment

forgot to mention before: Floradix liquid iron + herbs... you can find it at your local health food store...it has helped me in the past.

Also, though I can't imagine too much iron, especially in women, I would guess that chelation could be used for a true excess. However, for all you die-hard Grokkers; Grok was surely not donating blood EVER, so I doubt that storing too much of it happens to most people.

Comment

I wish I could donate blood! Unfortunately, anemia runs in my family and at one point a couple of years ago all my iron-related readings were so low, the doctor was amazed I was still able to function (oops)! Thankfully, I'm clear of the drama now, but my blood isn't good enough for donation. This is despite eating iron-rich foods, eating foods that aid in absorption and taking a really good multi-vitamin.

Now that I'm primal, I would love to see what my readings are... bet they're better now!

@FNW - I'd not heard that thing about it being good for the donator to donate blood - how did you find out about that?

Comment

Working...
            X