Fooled by a lemon....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fooled by a lemon....

Just a funny story I thought I'd share. We're renting our current place and there's some random fruit-trees out back.

So, we recently got our first "harvest" and I ate one of the fruits, what I thought was a small orange. It was quite nice...fairly sweet & juicy. Really quite lovely. I had a few of them over several days. I told the landlord and complimented him on his nice orange trees. That's when I found out, to my surprise, that my landlord only has lemon-trees.

It's fascinating to me how my taste-buds have become so very sensitized to sweet after going Primal. So much so, that I was fooled by a lemon...HA!

**chuckles to self** very funny!

Comment

Wow that is quite amazing! Is the skin more orange than a typical yellow lemon?

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

That's kind of like how lower %age dark chocolate feels like milk chocolate to me now. It must be so nice to have lemon trees in your backyard.

Comment

MariaNYC - Yeah it was...it wasn't exactly a dark orange color, but wasn't exactly bright yellow either. I just figured maybe it was lighter because it was direct from the tree. And...it was round-ish in shape rather than more pointy like regular lemons. Granted, now that I know, I guess I can see the difference. But...I was totally fooled.

Comment

maba - totally with you on the chocolate. I recently started making that chocolate-bark from the other thread (coconut cream, coconut oil and 100% cocoa) as my "treat". Two days ago, I ran out and had some store-bought 75% chocolate...man, did it taste like milk chocolate to me!

Comment

It's hard to differentiate citrus sometimes just by looking. Size and shape may or may not be definitive. And often the skin looks nothing like what you see in the grocery store. Mold, "dis"coloration, aging. None effect the flavor inside.

Also, there are lots of hybrids and then there are the trees grown from seed. Some of the most wonderful grapefruit I've ever had, and others agreed, was from a tree from seed. Our neighbor found it many years before and transplanted it. The fruit had real thick skin, but what was inside was heaven.

Comment

Nina, I tried your recipe the other day - didn't have coconut cream, so used coconut flakes instead - it hit the spot. The only downside of such a simple recipe is that I tend to satisfy my chocolate cravings instantly w/o giving it time to go away. I got coconut cream/butter today, so I'm going to be making your version soon.

OTB, I read somewhere that the citruses you find in grocery stores actually have food coloring on them to make them look so shiny and perfect.

Comment

maba - yeah, it's almost *too* easy to satisfy the chocolate craving

By the way I found the bark was better if I let it solidify in the fridge. When you first make it, it's almost fudge-like and would be very easy to eat all at once, but if you refrigerate it, it gets hard and more "bar-like", so you tend to only eat slivers.

Last time I made it I used ~2-3 tablespoons coconut creme, ~7 tablespoons cocoa, a tad of coconut oil, ~1 tablespoon coconut flakes and enough boiling water to soften & mix everything together (not sure how much water...maybe 1/8-1/4-cup? do it to consistency). I've been spreading it into a piece of foil with the ends turned up (to make a kind of "dish"). Then, refrigerate until hardened.

Comment

Okay - where is this recipe that you all are talking about?

Comment

nina I thought this was really funny! I'm sure it's just some different kind of lemon or maybe a hybrid, there are so many different citrus fruits it's hard to believe! We only see the "standard" lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit really, and probably only two to three types of each in the US, so it's not surprising to me that if you saw something a little more orange and a little more round you would call it an orange and not a lemon I can imagine the landlord thought you were a little crazy though!

You are what you eat,
                      and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

hannahc - yeah, undoubtedly it's a hydrid. I do think, even w/ my more sensitive palate, that they are more sweet than regular store-bought lemons.

And yeah...my landlord does think I'm nuts, but I get that alot

Comment

g2baker - see my above post for the recipe I'm using at the moment. More ideas for chocoloate here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...e-How-to-do-it

Comment

thx nina!

Comment

Maybe it was a Meyer Lemon?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Working...
                              X