Resort back to allergy meds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resort back to allergy meds?

So far, I've been primal for almost an year! I thought that my allergies were a LOT better because during the spring time I had little to no allergies. However ... my allergies are acting up again, especially when I go exercise. It's actually unbearable on some really sunny days. My question is, should I go back to taking Zyrtec when I need it or should I try some other things before I have to take meds?

Thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Yes, take your meds if you need them. I take Claritin, Singulair and Sudafed on a daily basis and get weekly allergy shots as well.

Comment

how long have you been primal?

Comment

I still get seasonal allergies. I take an Allegra when i need it.
        I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

I keep up with flonase, alavert and take quercetin w/vitamin c.
          Georgette

Comment

Well there goes my suggestion. I was going to say quercetin. It does wonders for me. I take 500mg in the morning. Occasionally I'll take another one in the evening if I'm getting snuffly. I often wake up with sniffles and they dry up shortly after taking the quercetin.

Comment

i searched up quercetin ... instead of buying pills, is simply drinking tea enough? (i saw that it's a good source of quercetin ...)

Comment

i know it's an old wives tale but a daily tbs of local honey works for me. That plus no grains = zero allergy problems this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
                  i searched up quercetin ... instead of buying pills, is simply drinking tea enough? (i saw that it's a good source of quercetin ...)
                  It does have a high concentration by weight but you're not consuming much at a time. Apparently a 300ml cup contains 1.4 mg of quercetin. Of course, I'm not sure what the minimum effective dose is. The capsules come in 500mg but that's not to say I might not feel better with less. Still, that's a wide range.

Comment

My allergies are better since going primal, but not all better either. I had to return to taking my daily corticosteroid inhaler (Flovent) for my asthma because as much as I wanted to be off it, I finally had to admit that I was having too much trouble with breathing, especially on days with high pollen counts or poor air quality, and it was affecting my ability to be active. I figure if I have to take the medication to be able to lead an active primal lifestyle, then I'd rather do that than struggle without and end up living a more restricted, sedentary life. If you need the meds to enjoy exercise and going outdoors, then I say take them--it's worth the trade.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine View Post
                      i know it's an old wives tale but a daily tbs of local honey works for me. That plus no grains = zero allergy problems this spring.
                      Raw local honey. You need it made from the flowers/plants you are allergic to. Eating local bee pollen (the pollen that sticks to the bees) can also help (also has lots of B vitamins). Basically you are ingesting some of the thing that you are allergic to in order to teach your body how to handle it without triggering the immune system against it. I've heard of some guy making a tea of sorts from pollen from the year before and drinking it, but I don't think it's as tasty as honey.

Comment

I have an allergy to cats.
                        I have a boyfriend with 2 cats.
                        I have a big bottle of 365 generic Claritin pills that I got from Costco for $12.99.

Works for me!
                        Durp.

Comment

The best thing I ever did to prevent allergies was start drinking green smoothies six days a week.

I didn't even think about my allergies when I started this on 1/2/11 but then, this spring when my boss was sitting there sniffing (just blow your nose for crying out loud) ALL DAY LONG, it dawned on me, "huh, no allergies". I generally suffer terribly during allergy season, waking up in the middle of the night with my nose streaming, red eyes, coughing fits, etc. My husband even called me "the kleenex queen". And this is even on all kinds of allergy meds.

It feels like a miracle to have a symptom free spring.

I make my smoothies with about 3 cups of green leaf or romaine lettuce, same amount of kale or other greens -this week it's collards- and a couple of handfuls of spinach. Then I add half a cucumber, peeled, and an apple w/peel, throw in a cup of frozen blueberries, 2 cups of water.

I do have a VitaMix and that really helps but I love my green smoothies! My husband even drinks a small glass every work morning, he makes a face but I think he likes them.

Comment

You could always try helminthic therapy.

Comment

Working...
                            X