grain eating co-workers VENTING :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grain eating co-workers VENTING :)

So i've been on primal for about six months now- i did really well when i was a stay at home mom (lost 20lbs)... been at work for a few months and it's so hard! my office is next to the break room and we are the typical office (like The Office) where they celebrate EVERYTHING with cake, donuts, bagels... what's even more annoying is that my co-worker (whom i share an office with, but in August she is moving out and i get this office all to myself) is a grain addict. she actually was "pushing" me to eat bread, telling me. "i just don't think you need to diet" UGH!!!! in fact right now she is munching on a box of cheez-it's.... I KNOW i am not alone in this world of co-workers stuffing their faces all day long with grains... so just to make me feel better can anyone share their horror stories of co-workers who say RIDICULOUS things about the way we eat? PLEASE

I get really strange stares in the break room when people see me go in there to have smoked salmon or a tuna steak. I keep a bunch in my desk. Every time there is cake or pizza, I have that instead and don't make a big deal about it. People caught on and now it's just funny. Someone always goes, "fish in a bag!"

Comment

My coworker (and one of my best friends) has learned to accept that I don't eat like she does. But she still will talk about how "good" she is being by only having a waffle for breakfast, full-sugar soda for a snack, sandwich for lunch (plus a 100 calorie pack of cookies for dessert - and another soda) and spaghetti for dinner (with garlic bread I'm sure). Then she just can't understand why she's still heavy, especially since she has the same job I do, which is physically very demanding.

It's also really tough going to lunch together after our routes. KFC, Cane's, Subway... it's all a chemical/sugar/gluten minefield. But I figure she'll see a difference in me, since she knows how I'm eating, and maybe decide to try it herself one day.
      Durp.

Comment

Yeah, it's alright. They just don't get that it's a daily decision. And the days add up. Just laugh at them, maybe call them Fodder Feeders. Thank them for supporting the government and shortening their lifespans to make room for your offspring. And know that, secretly, plenty of them want to change but don't know how so they just stick to their socially reinforced habits to avoid the confrontation.

And almost nobody believes me when I tell them I've lost 40 pounds and once weighed over 210 pounds. They've never been able to do it, so it's a miracle that I did, right?
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Tell them that grains give you explosive diarrhea or uncontrollable vomiting, people tend to stop asking after that
          Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
          Starting Weight: 294 pounds
          Current Weight: 235 pounds
          Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

True, I've often considered just telling people I'm allergic. But that's a cop out for me, since I'm such an evangelist about food. I often ask them THE question. "What does bread give you that you can't get from a better source?" And that gets their wheels turning, hopefully leading them down a better path.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

What were you eating before you went on the PB? Bread? Cake? Cut these people some slack.
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                What were you eating before you went on the PB? Bread? Cake? Cut these people some slack.
                Go be grumpy somewhere else.

Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Most of my co-workers respect my lifestyle, but then I work at a healthfood store. I refuse to lie or make up allergies, but I regularly spout my fasting blood sugar results over the first two weeks of going primal.

From the low 300s to below 100. (Where it stabilized and remains).

In. Two. Weeks.

Only my boss still gives me sh*t, and I always shut him out by telling him, *I don't learn sexual tricks from nuns, no matter how much that habit turns me on, and I won't take health advice from a smoker, no matter how fucking skinny he is.*

Comment

Yep, my office is the same way. Doughnuts all the time, and Friday has become the unofficial official junk food day in my little cubicle camp. I'm slightly guilty of encouraging it; I've been using it as an excuse to get the last of the flour, sugar and butter (I'm horrendously intolerant of dairy) out of the house. I just can't stand to throw out food, and I really enjoy baking.

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
                      Go be grumpy somewhere else.

Y'all, since I got saved by Jesus last week, I've been noticin' how everyone around me is a filthy filthy sinner!
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

My coworkers were brutal as well, cake, donuts, cookies, ALL THE TIME. No one EVER brought their lunch, always take-out from downstairs (but, they of course are doing the right thing by choosing brown rice instead of white......), Friday is pizza day, etc. This is somewhat the norm and I was somewhat able to avoid most of the temptations (minus the holidays where I fell HARD), and would either opt out or just state that I am trying to avoid sugar.
                        This was Kosher until one day I came back to my desk where someone had left a giant chocolate bar on my keyboard. This happened twice, not cool.
                        Now, as much as I hate to lie, I just tell people I'm intolerant to grains, they don't really listen but whatever. I just hate having to explain myself everytime I turn down cake or the funny/sometimes nasty looks I get when I turn down even going. Whatever, my body my health, my decision.
                        You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
                        Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Just remember that it's YOU who are the weirdo, they have no idea they are still in the matrix and they will fight to keep their perceptions alive. Be kind to others and don't be a food evangelist, it's very annoying. Do you like vegetarian evangelists?
                          I've lived with a strict vegetarian housemate for three months now and have never had a single food conflict / talk with her. It's not that hard. I don't even think I've mentioned the word "paleo."
                          I usually don't eat at my work get-togethers and I drink a plain soda water. Other people who know my strange ways bring it up, and I'm happy to share basic principles if they ask. I've sent links to people who are truly curious, but I don't try to convert them myself.
                          Is pizza annoying? Not really, it doesn't even taste that good.
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I have one that drinks "diet" green tea (loaded with artificial sweeteners), and these cheese nips and oreos 100 calorie snack packs. She fucking smokes and bitches all the time about getting the short end of the tasks (and she's fucking lazy as hell too), and then she says how her blood pressure medication isn't working like she hoped. Case in point, she's fucking stupid, obnoxious, and just downright unattractive.
                            "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

I have a "moderation" office mate. He states that he believes you can eat anything you want as long as it's in moderation. I acknowledged his opinion and let him know that if that works for him (and going to the gym every single evening), then I'm glad for him. I've let him know that I don't practice moderation, but avoidance. I've found a bunch of foodstuffs that I think are doing me harm and have avoided them. I still don't exercise regularly and had lost 30 lbs. in about 4 months as well as change my cholesterol (see sig) and blood pressure numbers (not on BP meds anymore). It's a little tough debating with him because he has lost over 60 lbs. in the last couple of years his way. He hasn't offered up any cholesterol or BP figures, yet.

Edit: I forgot to add that he said there was bread in the bible and that was good enough for him.
                              Last edited by kcult; 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM.
                              Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                              Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                              LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                              HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                              TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Working...
                              X