Pondering Age and Aging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pondering Age and Aging

Compared to most people on MDA, I'm an elder; in my 60s, and today my precious granddaughters turn 10 years old--old!--strange term for people under fifty. I've always said it's the kids and grandkids that make us feel old, otherwise I still feel very young. Then I look at my soon to be 45 yo daughter, and her girls, and my soon to be 30 yo son, and think--Jeeezus, how did I get this old! I'm on the downhill side of living, which is actually very fine, since I'm a very fortunate person who has a far better life than I deserve. Still I want these years to be even better than my early, I will live forever, years; so I work hard at good health, eating primal, thinking about what matters most and letting go of the crap than so easily bogs down a life.

Anyway, my little grandbabies have become "yo" girls, who are definitely entering the preteen phase with a glee. It seems like only yesterday, I mean literally only a little while ago, they were infants, but what a lot of fun to watch these fraternal twins, night and day different, growing, and to be so proud of what a great job their mother is doing.

Enjoy your life--this one is all too short. One day you look back and think, why did I waste so much energy on bs, negative people, and worry over things that really are not that important.

Also, Happy July 4th!
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Amen!

When I look back at the stress I caused myself by worrying about things that ultimately didn't matter, it's just sad. I'm 46, and I actually love being this age because I feel like I have a much clearer picture of life and priorities. I just feel so much more at peace with myself.

I don't know if life ever gets easy, but your attitude matures and you see the big picture instead of the minutiae.
    Durp.

Comment

It's my birthday today, too, and I'm turning 51. Best wishes to your granddaughters. I don't have any yet, but I look at my adult sons (21 and 18) and wonder where the years go.

Amen to making the best of life at any age!
      Last edited by marthat; 07-03-2011, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marthat View Post
        It's my birthday today, too, and I'm turning 51. Best wishes to your granddaughters. I don't have any yet, but I look at my adult sons (21 and 18) and winder where the years go.

Amen to making the best of life at any age!
        Happy Birthday!

Comment

Happy Birthday to your grandkids, and to you Marthat.

js290-I sure hope so!
          WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

I'm 68 - maybe not quite the oldest person here. This is not my birthday. However, I count the 4th of July as the date I began using the Primal Blueprint. (I don't label my self as Primal, Paleo or anything else.) I do not feel old any more. Oh, my hair is still gray (not as gray as a year ago) and thin on top (not as thin as a year ago), my short term memory is not what it used to be (but better than a year ago) . . . . I could go on.

Happy birthday to all who are having them, including the USA.
            Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Hedonist: Happy Do-it-your-way Birthday!
              Marthat: A very happy birthday to you, too
              js290: I expect to live into my 90s based on family trend, if I don't get run over by one of the 10,000 idiots. But years without good health is awful, so I do want to keep going pretty much as I am now if at all possible. I'm not giving in a minute before I have to.

I love this time of life, though I wouldn't mind swapping out some parts from the 1970s version; still a classic is a classic. We 1940 models are still very cool (we even invented the term "cool").
              This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                Amen!

When I look back at the stress I caused myself by worrying about things that ultimately didn't matter, it's just sad. I'm 46, and I actually love being this age because I feel like I have a much clearer picture of life and priorities. I just feel so much more at peace with myself.

I don't know if life ever gets easy, but your attitude matures and you see the big picture instead of the minutiae.
                I give you an Amen to your Amen! I really loved my 40s, it was the time for me when I truly grew up and let go of too many "shoulds."

Comment

59. PB 14 months:

I do not feel old any more. Oh, my hair is still gray (not as gray as a year ago), my short term memory is not what it used to be (but better than a year ago)
                  +1
                  activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Thank you, all! So far today has been awesome, and more good stuff to come.

I too loved my 40's and used the decade to achieve all kinds of good things. I figured that my 20's were given to my education and starting my career, my 30's were given to being mommy, and by the time I turned 40 it was time to find some ME time in my life. I started running, started quilting as a creative outlet, started getting tattoos, started taking some weekends with my girlfriends. All good stuff that actually made me so happy that I was a better person in my career and as a mom. I"m aiming for the 50's to be just as good - once I get the menopause s*%t under control! LOL

Comment

Age is partly mindset. I have friends in their 40s who are older in attitude, physical being, than my mother who is still rocking, great looking, etc. I remember a couple kids in high school who were already middle aged in how they thought, what they did.
                      WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

One of my granddaughters offered a surprising bit of wisdom, yesterday. I said, Happy Double Digits, apparently several others offered the same, and her response was: I don't get the big deal with double digits. You are in single digits only 9 years, and if you are very lucky maybe a few years in triple digits, but nearly your whole life is double digits!
                        Out of the mouths of babes, eh.

Also, this cracked me up: the girls got for their gifts a keyboard for one, the other an electric guitar; what did they do? Spent most of the afternoon sliding down the basement stairs on the boxes the instruments came in. My son-in-law does facepalm: It's their first birthday all over again. Spend a bizzilion dollars on gifts and they are playing with the boxes.
                        Last edited by Digby; 07-04-2011, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marthat View Post
                          Thank you, all! So far today has been awesome, and more good stuff to come.

I too loved my 40's and used the decade to achieve all kinds of good things. I figured that my 20's were given to my education and starting my career, my 30's were given to being mommy, and by the time I turned 40 it was time to find some ME time in my life. I started running, started quilting as a creative outlet, started getting tattoos, started taking some weekends with my girlfriends. All good stuff that actually made me so happy that I was a better person in my career and as a mom. I"m aiming for the 50's to be just as good - once I get the menopause s*%t under control! LOL
                          i'm 42 & tho i hate the sound of the number, i don't think i've ever been more content with everything just as it is. Keeping active def keeps people younger. I just rode mtb's with my husband and a lady who is 10 years older than me & looks fantastic! I look better now at 42 than i did 10+ yrs ago before i started riding bikes. Now i just want to save up enough to check out of this rat race so i can have more fun on more than just the weekends & vacation.

ps - i luv your pink flower tatt in the avatar. I've got some ideas for my own tatt enhancement but i'm going to let them stew & ferment before i actually hunt down an artist & plunk down the $$$$$.

Comment

Happy Birthday and Happy Un-Birthday to you all
                            Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                            Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                            CW: 146.8 lbs
                            GW 140 lbs
                            A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Working...
                            X