Sleep, Weight, Productivity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep, Weight, Productivity

We keep hearing more all the time about the importance of getting enough restful sleep. My own near decade of sleep struggles, and accompanying weight-gain, make this NYTimes article all the more relevant. What sleep issues have you had?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/he...me&ref=general
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

honestly i get between 6-7hrs per night not 7-8 and it hasnt affected me. like with anything i think its all in the person

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

Comment

I was always a 7-hours-a-night sleeper, and agree we don't all fit this average, but regardless, I would bet most people are probably not getting enough restful sleep--especially young people.
      This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
      Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I only get about 7 hours per night, and unless I prove to be hypoglycemic, I really am affected by it.
        I don't know what's going on, but I have trouble falling asleep, and wake up pretty early in the morning. My room is as dark as it can get, but I guess I could stop using my computer in the PM... didn't seem to affect me earlier, though.

Comment

I actually sleep less now. I used to sleep 10-12 hrs, now i only need maybe 7-8.
          I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Bissen View Post
            I only get about 7 hours per night, and unless I prove to be hypoglycemic, I really am affected by it.
            I don't know what's going on, but I have trouble falling asleep, and wake up pretty early in the morning. My room is as dark as it can get, but I guess I could stop using my computer in the PM... didn't seem to affect me earlier, though.
            Download a free program that dims your PC screen at night so it's not as bright if you need to use it.
            Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Comment

I sleep between 8 and 12 hours a day, and am always exhausted. It's a real struggle for me to crawl out of bed in the morning. I know it's affecting my weight loss, but unless I sleep outside I just can't seem to have a normal sleep schedule...

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

I have sleep apnea and probably had it from age 10 i think it has affected lots in my life.
                Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ELCO14 View Post
                  Download a free program that dims your PC screen at night so it's not as bright if you need to use it.
                  I have to leave the computer alone after about 10pm, or I'd be awake all night.
                  WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

I've always been able to fall asleep in just a few minutes and not wake up unless the alarm or one of my dogs goes off. Doesn't matter if I'm on the computer, reading or even drinking coffee before bed, if I'm horizonal, I'm asleep - sound asleep.

Not a morning person though. No matter if I went to sleep at 9:00 p.m. or 2:00 a.m., I feel like death on a biscuit for an hour or so when I do wake up. I've never understood the whole "wake up feeling refreshed" thing.

I remember way back in grade school, when someone would say they missed yesterday because they woke up sick. I used to think, how can you tell? I wake up sick every morning; headache, stomach ache, stiff muscles and hating life. Couple hours later and it's all good. No change in that since going Primal either.

Comment

Originally posted by ELCO14 View Post
                      I already have it...

Comment

Originally posted by Nion View Post
                        I actually sleep less now. I used to sleep 10-12 hrs, now i only need maybe 7-8.
                        Perhaps less quantity but better quality?

Comment

I need about 8-9 hours. I was sleep deprived for years, due to bad habits. I've gone through periods of insomnia (acupuncture helped that) and now I usually fall asleep fine, but I have an issue with excessive REM sleep (vivid dreams all night) and too little slow wave sleep (which is when your body repairs itself and the brain rests) so sometimes I wake up feeling like I was hit by a truck, lol!

I do feel more alert in the mornings since getting on a dopamine support supplement, though 9it's like my brain turns on a lot faster). I think this might be an issue for a lot of non-morning people. Some other things that will make you feel like crap in the morning are low cortisol (you'll be more achy, too) and sleep apnea, which a lot of people have and don't know it.
                          You don't have to have be overweight to have apnea- most apnea is actually due to underdeveloped airways related to underdeveloped upper and lower jaws from generations of poor nutrition (think Weston Prices findings).
                          http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Hazyjane, have you tried having a sublingual methyl-B12 supplement (it just melts away under your tongue) in the evening before bedtime? With that and a dark bedroom, I started sleeping like a log when I first began it. One needs good B12 status to make melatonin.

Comment

Originally posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
                              Hazyjane, have you tried having a sublingual methyl-B12 supplement (it just melts away under your tongue) in the evening before bedtime? With that and a dark bedroom, I started sleeping like a log when I first began it. One needs good B12 status to make melatonin.
                              I don't have any problem falling asleep anymore (and I have tried methylcobalamin at night) Lately I'm asleep within 10 min. I think I make enough melatonin- in fact, when I used to have problems falling asleep AND I was dreaming too much, melatonin exacerbated the dreaming, although it did help me fall asleep.

I wouldn't mind the vivid dreams (they're pretty fun- I dreamed of shopping the other night and I can still remember the clothes!) except lack of slow wave sleep makes you feel so much less rested. I def. feel better on mornings that I can't remember my dreams clearly.
                              Last edited by hazyjane; 06-02-2011, 07:40 PM.
                              http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X