My Polyphasic Sleep Log

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Polyphasic Sleep Log

Has anyone heard of polyphasic sleep? I just discovered this sleep method from reading The 4 Hour Body (an extremely fun book by the way).

Starting today, I am testing this out. I already took 2 20 minute naps and now only have to sleep 4.5 hours tonight. I am shooting for a 12-12:30 bedtime and waking up just before 5.

I am SUPER EXCITED to see how this plays out. If you have any questions, comments or concerns then please discuss in this thread!

Thomas Edison engaged in this type of sleep. With 2 20 minute naps I can add 3 hours to my day.... wohoo!!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

I'll be interested to see how this works for you. I need quite a lot of sleep and would love to find a way to cut it down.

Do you anticipate having any trouble napping?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I took 2 20 minute naps today and had success. I was able to sleep - just not sure how long. It is 12:21 right now which is waaaaaaay past my normal bedtime of around 10:30. I began to feel tired about 10-15 minutes ago. Time for bed now as I plan on waking up around 5 am.

I will allow time for me to adjust and will "investigate" after a week or 2.

Comment

I'm really interested in this topic. Thanks for doing an experiment!
        http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Comment

At what point in the day did you fit in the 2 twenty minute naps? Did you have an alarm wake you?
          I look forward to hearing more.
          My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
          www.greenlightjerky.com

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLightJerky View Post
            At what point in the day did you fit in the 2 twenty minute naps? Did you have an alarm wake you?
            I look forward to hearing more.
            I took one around Noon and the other around 5:30. Right now, prior to learning more, my rules are to shoot for taking the first nap between 10 and 2 and the second between 4 and 8. Second, the naps must be at least 4 hours apart and I must take the first one at least 4 hours after waking and the second at least 4 hours before going to bed.

I used a timer yesterday. I set it to 23 minutes to allow for about 3 minutes to fall asleep... The timer did not wake me up yesterday at all! For the first nap I woke up about 35 seconds before it went off

Comment

Last night was a first day success. I took the naps as stated in my previous post.

I went to bed around 1 am which was about 30-60 minutes later than planned. When I am on the computer its hard to get off. This is why I am also limiting my computer time to 3 hours. Well, thats what I decided prior to doing a polyphasic sleep experiment Now I may add an hour to that 3 hours since I have an extra 3 hours during the day!

So I went to bed at 1 am and woke up at about 6:05 am. That's 5 hours of sleep when I am suppose to get 4.5 hours. Maybe I'll need 5... not sure! I feel great and well rested. I am excited for today!

Comment

Oh! I did NOT wake up to an alarm clock today. Maybe I should do this... I am eager to learn more. Tim Ferriss has a few tools and tricks in the back of the chapter on polyphasic sleep.

Does anyone know of anyone who has tried the uberman method? This is when you take 6 20 minute naps throughout the day. You have to evenly space them 4 hours apart and be very rigid. But, you only need 2 total hours of sleep a day!! I may try this for 2 months or so in the future.

Comment

Interesting experiment. I'm going to watch and see how you feel in a couple of weeks

I'm unintentionally doing something like this during the work week - half hour nap after supper, go to bed at 11:15, wake up at 6:30 a.m. This gives me just under 8 hrs of sleep which seems to be my 'no alarm clock' weekend sleep pattern. Since going Primal I don't have the 3 p.m. lag at work.
                  Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                  Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                  CW: 146.8 lbs
                  GW 140 lbs
                  A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

My husband researched this many years ago. I talked him out of it...as I wasn't interested in sleeping that way. He rarely wakes on his own; and I didn't want to be a slave to his alarm clock. All that came of it is the name of our cat, Polly. LOL

I will be following this thread for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Mldami View Post
                      My husband researched this many years ago. I talked him out of it...as I wasn't interested in sleeping that way. He rarely wakes on his own; and I didn't want to be a slave to his alarm clock. All that came of it is the name of our cat, Polly. LOL

I will be following this thread for sure!
                      Lol. Well, maybe if I have success you will let him experiment

I took my first nap today at 11:38. I was for sure dreaming up a storm. This is what is really cool too. I actually remember my dreams!! At night I NEVER EVER remember them. Why? Because I am literally sound asleep throughout the entire night. I have REM Sleep for about 2 hours but am simply unconscious for the rest of the time. I feel like thats just wasting my time!! The world has so much to offer.

And, whats cool is that 99.9% of the population can ad at least 1 20 minute nap to their schedule which adds 1.5 hours to their day every single day. Cool, dont you think?!

Back to my nap... I could have slept longer but I decided to get up. I felt slightly tired after the nap but now feel quite alive!! And, its a cloudly, rainy, stormy day.

Time to read and then eat primal food

Comment

My 2 naps went perfect today. I dreamed without question and was actually able to remember what I dreamed. I woke up naturally for the first nap and believe I did the second time too! I can't remember though...

Its 12:09 am and I am off to bed. If I wake up a touch before 5 am and feel well rested then I am golden.

Life is truly awesome when you have 19 hours during the day... Give this a try if your schedule allows it!

Comment

I have had this for years, and wish I didn't. Sleep 3-4 hours, awake for around 2-3, then want to sleep again for another hour or two. Rarely get the second round, which often leaves me dragging. This was a huge problem before I retired last summer, but even now I feel better if I can get six hours uninterrupted rather than the two phases.
                          This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                          Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

How long did you used to sleep a night before this?
                            A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                              How long did you used to sleep a night before this?
                              Around 8 hours. But, for the past 2 months I have been sleeping less, around 6-7 hours. I think this has to do with the fact that there is more daylight. It makes sense to me that our bodies require more sleep during the winter months and less sleep during the summer months. I just believe that our ancestors would have slept according to sunrise and sunset. I know I would have. I wouldn't go to bed at 6 in the winter but probably shortly after while the sunsets around 9 here in West Michigan right now so I would stay up later.

There are a lot of factors that play a role in how much sleep we need.

But, so far this experiment has been awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X