No announcement yet.

My Polyphasic Sleep Log

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how did your nap go Primal Toad? Are you feeling tired, or do you have energy?

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

I don't want to crash the party, but I've read research done on this subject. It's near and dear to me because I've had pretty unique sleep compared to anyone I knew. Really deep, never woke up on time for stuff, sleeping through hours of an alarm, being awake and sleeping at weird times of the day, etc. On that second point, I actually just gave up trying at some point because being sleep deprived < anything going on that day.

Anyways, research says we are biphasic. It's not natural to be polyphasic, and it was really not a healthy or happy path to go down. I have actually gone from generally monophasic to biphasic since I've been really, really ridiculously healthy (and good looking). So that's all I'm going to say... you've been warned.

Comment

My mom sleeps this way. 2 hours here, 3 hours there. I don't know how she does it, but that's just how she sleeps. She has for years.

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
          I don't want to crash the party, but I've read research done on this subject. It's near and dear to me because I've had pretty unique sleep compared to anyone I knew. Really deep, never woke up on time for stuff, sleeping through hours of an alarm, being awake and sleeping at weird times of the day, etc. On that second point, I actually just gave up trying at some point because being sleep deprived < anything going on that day.

Anyways, research says we are biphasic. It's not natural to be polyphasic, and it was really not a healthy or happy path to go down. I have actually gone from generally monophasic to biphasic since I've been really, really ridiculously healthy (and good looking). So that's all I'm going to say... you've been warned.
          Expand on the biphasic sleep pattern that is normal?

Also, does anyone else have problems sleeping with a full moon? It makes me not want to sleep (maybe my ancestors figured the best time to kill a mammoth was when it was sleeping).
          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post

Also, does anyone else have problems sleeping with a full moon? It makes me not want to sleep (maybe my ancestors figured the best time to kill a mammoth was when it was sleeping).
            Being one who generally follows the cycles of the Moon, I can tell you that there are energy differences during different phases. I do tend to be more restless leading up to the Full Moon (and life tends to get more chaotic.) New Moons make me withdraw and become more introspective. Those are the times I'm more apt to want to be left alone.

Hunting and fishing at the time of the Full Moon is supposed to be fruitful- not to mention that any shellfish caught at the Full Moon are said to be bigger and more succulent. I can't tell you from personal experience, but it's been said that more blood is spilled at the Full Moon... perhaps having something to do with the Moon's influence over tides/water.

In my experience growing up in the boonies, deer and other wildlife are also more active during the Full Moon also. We learned early on to be more careful when driving late at night during a Full Moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
              I first read about it here, actually.
              What is Biphasic Sleep? | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by CoyoteVick View Post
                I also think age plays a huge part in this. In your teens-late 20's, you would have been expected to be more "on watch", this is also the time when women would have been having babies, so it makes sense that during those years, sleeping in shifts would work best. However, as a person got older, they wouldn't be expected to be on watch, so they would be able to have the luxury of sleeping more at night. This also makes sense, because the older members of the tribe would be the ones watching the younger children during the day while the middle age people would be out hunting/gathering.

I think the bottom line is that we can't re-create what is "natural" for us. So our best bets are to sleep the way our bodies want to sleep. If you feel refreshed and rested after sleeping through the night, go for it. If you don't, maybe a modified sleeping schedule would help. Same with anything else. If it feels good for you, do it. If it doesn't work for you, then don't!
                +1

So far I'm loving it and am full of energy. Only time will tell.
                Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by CoyoteVick View Post
                  So how did your nap go Primal Toad? Are you feeling tired, or do you have energy?
                  I've been full of energy all day like usual. Funny thing is I feel kind of tired now. I only got in one nap so it will be interesting to see how many hours ivsleep tonight. I'll be going to bed earlier, around 1130.

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post

what is biphasic sleep?

I do know that thomas Edison loved his naps.....

And isn't it a spanish cultural thing for them to take an afternoon nap? They sleep about 6 hours I believe.... That's fiesta sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
                      what is biphasic sleep?

I do know that thomas Edison loved his naps.....

And isn't it a spanish cultural thing for them to take an afternoon nap? They sleep about 6 hours I believe.... That's fiesta sleeping.
                      I'll see if I can dig up what I read on it. Mark's article was not the first place I had read about it.

Comment

Alright, I am unable to find the EXACT article. That's really unimportant though. This link here goes over some similar things I recalled reading.

Also on top of debunking polyphasic sleeping, I'd like to throw a link here that I found in my email archives when I was searching.
                        A single night of partial sleep deprivation induces insulin resistance in multiple metabolic pathways in healthy subjects.

Edit: A shorter, more summarized version of debunking this polyphasic business.
                        Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-26-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Just for clarification, when I say bi-phasic, I mean sleeping possibly not much after when the sun goes down, waking up for an hour or so (reading, eating, whatever), and then waking up almost around the crack of dawn.

I relate it to being healthier in many ways. One thing that I think is a must for this to work is getting lots of sunlight during the day. This seems to trigger correct patterns in your body. JUST personal experience and opinion though.

I realize this doesn't work everywhere. In Alaska for example, I would be screwed. I think you might hypothesize that sleeping patterns can be somewhat dictated by where you live on Earth? (in other words, length of daylight and temperature)

Comment

The best way to learn whether or not something works is to experiment. That is what I am doing. I am young and have the chance to experiment a little. I chose polyphasic sleep as my first experiment. This is my log and I will give it at least 2 weeks.

I am not on any set schedule either. i am simply going to take 1-3 naps per day and then record the times I go to bed and wake up. I have always slept like a baby so I will record the times when I don't. I am also usually full of energy. I will record the times when I feel sleepy.

Again, whats nice about taking 20 minute naps is the dreaming experience. I NEVER EVER remember my dreams at night. I tihnk this is because I sleep so damn well. I dream like crazy during my 20 minute naps and its awesome. Exhilarating.

I only managed to get in 1 nap today so it will be interesting to see when I wake up tomorrow. Its now 1:15 and I will be headed to bed in about 10 minutes. I'll probably wake up between 6 and 7.

Comment

One of my friends lived polyphasic for about three months. He retains the ability to sleep anywhere.

He said the transition phase was hell but once you were through it it was good. He gave up because he was doing a lot of really hardcore karate and if you're continually moving around (even if you're just sitting reading), your body never has time to recover from that. I tried it for a couple of days, not long enough for it to get really bad but I got scared about messing up some bit of my brain that understood when it was tired and when it was time to wake up, so I decided to leave it.

Comment

Fair enough Mr. Primal Toad. It's not like you have to pass anything you do by me. I'm just trying to help you out. Taking verbatim from that my third link in my previous post as well as the research I am currently unable to find, there is not ONE proven case of a person who sleeps polyphasically like you are suggesting. It's one thing if that's what you body 'asks' you to do (you feel tired frequently, so you just nap and that works for you), but it's a whole another thing if you think it's going to give you more awake time in your day. It will probably put great stress on your body which does the reverse of what you are attempting to do: you want to essentially live longer by being awake more, but stress will rob you of that health and longetivity. Sleep is a valuable time of the day that recharges creativity and mind sharpness. It's not something you can avoid like Edison claimed to have done. Again, do what you want. I like your willingness to try stuff, but I don't believe sleep is something to mess with. Also if we looked at it with the primal microscope, I think it would be safe to say that Grok would not have been a 1 hour napper four times a day.
                                Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-27-2011, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X