Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where in North America is the best vacation spot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where in North America is the best vacation spot?

Inspired by the Europe thread I thought I'd ask the same about North America (yes, that includes Canada). What's worth seeing? Big cities, small cities, rural America, beaches, mountains, woods, whatever. Got any tips?

So far, potential candidates are Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, New York, Las Vegas, Alaska, Boston, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Seattle, San Fransisco and Philadelphia. Not sure if all of them are worth seeing, but maybe you know? I would also love tips for non-city locations to explore.
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

I may be biased (ok, I am biased) but I grew up in Amarillo, Texas. About 180000 population. Home of what was the world's largest cattle auction. While granted the beef there is likely not grass fed, it is in abundance and good. Try either Cattle Call or Big Texan (home of the 72 oz steak, free if eaten in an hour). While the city is not on par with places like NYC for an overabundance of things to do, there is still lots to do both in and close to Amarillo. Palo Duro Canyon is about 20 miles away and is like a smaller and less developed Grand Canyon. You can get off the beaten paths to camp pretty easy with lots of hiking trails. Also close is the Cowboy Breakfast which is served on the rim of the canyon from a chuckwagon. If you are traveling by highway, I-40 goes right through Amarillo. A bit of the old west still exist there.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

I think the Miami beach is a best vacation spot. I love it.

Comment

The essence of America is the road itself.

Read Kerouac's On The Road or Hunter Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (the bits about the convertible Cadillac and the desert) or even The Grapes of Wrath.

Then rent a convertible (or even better a motorcycle) and hit the road to wherever it leads.
        Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

The one place in North America I feel I *have* to return to is British Columbia. I love nature and not big cities (Vancouver is great though), so that's what I based my personal pick on.

I'd also go back to the virgin islands in a heartbeat. I'm not much of a beach person but damn if that place isn't relaxing.

Comment

I went on several fishing trips in Alaska when I was younger... it was pretty amazing. We would go to a place call Anvik, you would have to take 3 flights to get there, each one on a progressively smaller plane until you get to one that lands on water. We would stay in a cabin for a week and besides the 3 guides and maybe 4-6 other guests you would not see anyone for an entire time. It was great. Eating fresh caught salmon for lunch on the edge of the river and not seeing a single person besides your guide. Bears and wolves wandering nearby, no buildings, no noise, nothing.

I've also been to parts of Alaska where the rivers are so crowded with people you can't get a spot and where the highways are jammed up with old people in motorhomes... that part sucks.

If you are not into the whole "wilderness" thing, I would say that New Orleans is by far my favorite city destination in the U.S.
            "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
            - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

San Francisco and Yosemite.
              If you need serious warmth, Sedona.
              Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
              Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

The rocky mountains are great. My favorite place is Jasper, Alberta - it is smaller and less touristy than most places but absolutely beautiful. I also second British Columbia.
                Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
                  San Francisco and Yosemite.
                  If you need serious warmth, Sedona.
                  SF would be a great place to go because you have that beautiful city and then you have Yosemite closeby or the amazing coastal drive through Big Sur, Monterrey, etc. Can't go wrong with NYC either.

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
                    The essence of America is the road itself.

Read Kerouac's On The Road or Hunter Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (the bits about the convertible Cadillac and the desert) or even The Grapes of Wrath.

Then rent a convertible (or even better a motorcycle) and hit the road to wherever it leads.
                    I agree, if you're going to visit America, don't just stay in a City or two, travel the country and visit multiple states/cities
                    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                    Current Weight: 235 pounds
                    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Personally, I'm gonna do a Route 66 tour one of these days, preferably in a (rented) Jeep Wrangler or convertible Mazda Miata.
                      I'm also intending to retrace some family trips from when I was MUCH younger: Dallas to Naiagara Falls, Canada via IN, MO, MI, etc and back via NY, TN, PA, etc., Dallas to Crazy Horse Monument/ Mt. Rushmore via Dodge City, and the Mall of the Americas.
                      I also want to see what wet looks like and go hit up the Pacific Northwest (professional and personal curiosity.)
                      Fossil Rim here in TX is awesome, as is Big Bend.
                      I'm intending to get to all 50 states one of these days.
                      I want to get up to Minnesota, Sioux Falls, Columbus, Ithaca, DC, and a few other places to vist friends I've either never met IRL or friends I haven't seen since forever.
                      I want to go to Groesbeck, TX and Muskogee, TX, as well as Ellis Island, Chicago, IL and Lansing, MI for geneology pusposes.
                      Chicago to see a Bears game, back to Dallas for a Stars and FCDallas game, and, gods willing and the creek don't rise, Soldier Stadium for a Super Bowl.
                      All 3 bodies of oceanic water (Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico)
                      Baja
                      Oaxaca
                      Olmec/ Aztec ruins
                      Canadian wild, although I'd freeze my nips off
                      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                        Groesbeck, TX
                        The Groesbeck Goats... I played them in HS football.
                        "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
                        - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

Originally posted by Goldsmith View Post
                          The Groesbeck Goats... I played them in HS football.
                          Yeah, I'm wanting to say we faced them a few times in academic UIL back in HS.
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

There is such a range of things to see... beaches, mountains, glaciers, canyons, cities...
                            San Francisco - cool neighborhoods & near redwood trees and Big Sur
                            Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, Arches NP - interesting landscapes that you can't really see anywhere else.
                            Then of course the cities.... I'm partial to sweet home Chicago, but also San Diego, Austin TX, Seattle, NYC.
                            Canadian people are pretty darn nice.
                            Haven't yet been to Hawaii, Alaska.. but someday.

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                            Chicago to see a Bears game, back to Dallas for a Stars and FCDallas game, and, gods willing and the creek don't rise, Soldier Stadium for a Super Bowl.
                            Hey, I'm not the only hybrid Chicago Bears & Dallas Stars fan! Yay!
                            Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
                              Hey, I'm not the only hybrid Chicago Bears & Dallas Stars fan! Yay!
                              I thought I was the only one! How'd you get to being a hybrid? I was a Stars fan back when I lived in Dallas and always rooted against the Cowgirls. When I met my husband and learned more about the Bears, I became a Bears girl. It was funny as hell last season when the Bears plays the 'Boys. My father and I were giving each other hell all game long.
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X