No announcement yet.

Ex-vegan seeking advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former 811Rver here and a friend of Hazyjane. My health went DOWNHILL on raw veganism and then got worse with 811. Brittle nails, peeling nails (signs of EFA deficiency) my memory and cognitive function went downhill, chronic fatigue- etc; the list goes on and oh yeah- weight gain too on my formerly svelte and trim body. A Spectracell blood analysis was a huge wake up call to just eat meat LOL and drop the fruit. I was B12 deficient, had elevated levels of homocystiene and was a walking mess. And my skin was a mess too for the first time in my life. I was scared I would never recover my brain function. This will sound mean but I think most of those 811 crowd aren't functioning with very high cognitive levels. Just an observation. Seems to be a cult for eating disorders. My advice, run as fast as you can, start eating some real food that nourishes your body and don't look back!

Comment

Primallady and I both started eating meat again around the same time. Her experiences were helpful to me in giving me the courage and motivation to change my diet Boy, am I glad I did.
      http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm so, so grateful all of you ex-vegans and vegetarians are coming forward and sharing your stories with me. I really need to hear what you have to say about what you've been through, so please, keep it coming!

Comment

I was never completely vegetarian, but about a year ago I made a conscious decision to eat less meat, and it wasn't unusual for me to go a week at a time without eating any. During that time I got sick three times (as in stay-in-bed for several days, and a couple weeks after that of feeling rotten, the last was a bout of strep in March. I've never had strep before), gained weight and fell into a bit of depression (something I thought I had conquered years ago) and suffered from anxiety and insomnia.

The strep was the final straw, and I started doing some reading and research and that eventually led me here. It's been just about 6 weeks for me, and I am really starting to feel better. I have a long way to go, and went through a couple weeks of carb-flu (tired, lethargic and foggy) last month, but I am sleeping better and slowly losing weight and feeling stronger. I had a pretty serious sugar addiction, but now a small bowl of strawberries or a square of dark chocolate tastes like heaven and a little bit is all I need to feel satisfied.
          My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Warning, rant incoming.

I went vegan for eight months in an attempt to try and find something -- ANYTHING -- to break through the weight gain that was a result of being hypothyroid. Even though I've been diagnosed since 2002 and on medication, even though levels were in the "good" range, I couldn't lose weight worth a damn, and I finally got so fed up with every diet I'd ever tried that I decided to do something "extreme" and go vegan to see if it would work.

I tried most of the major vegan diets. They ranged from okay to abysmal. The worst of the lot has to be "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman (more like "Death to Flavor", amiright?). No fat, no sugar, no salt, no processed grains, DEAR GOD NOTHING SPICY THAT'LL KILL YOU, but feel free to cram fruit, veggies, and legumes down your piehole, kiddo! That lasted about two weeks, and by the end of the experiment I was exhausted, annoyed, and ready to kill someone by the time I finished.

Second up in the vegan-diet-fail list would have to be "This Crazy Vegan Life" by Christina Pirello. No book was ever so aptly named. In addition to being badly designed book-wise (lots of references to recipes WITHOUT PAGE NUMBERS makes Steph a crazy girl), Christina ascribes to "calories in, calories out"...then went on to create daily meal plans with WILDLY ranging calorie counts. I know. I did the maths. Oh, and she wanted you to cook about five dishes a day. And then used that bullcrap guilt trip I see SO OFTEN in these stupid books about how "if you really care about your health you'll cook for yourself!". Which is TRUE, but I was spending three hours in the kitchen PER DAY and I have a day job and I have a fiance and I have, what's that called again?, oh yeah -- A LIFE.

(Note: primal cooking is so simple it's stupid. I spend maybe an hour in the kitchen between breakfast and dinner. And primal eating out is way, way easier than vegan macrobiotic eating out. We now return to your rant, already in progress.)

After trying macrobiotics (blargh), and the Kind Life (double blargh), the last vegan diet I tried was Engine 2, which is when my triglycerides went wacko. To be fair to Engine 2 (which was probably the most moderate of the vegan "diets"), I coupled it with "Appetite for Reduction" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz because Engine 2's recipes were sooooo....bland. Isa is the ONLY vegan author I can recommend. I actually still reference her stuff when I want to add flavor to things or a neat idea for vegetables. Her "Tempeh Helper" recipe has a great spice mixture that I use on my primal hamburger helper, and I love her writing even if I don't follow her lifestyle. (Same can be said for Crescent Dragonwagon.) (Yes, that's her name. It's awesome.)

So the net result was -- no weight loss, and my triglycerides shot up (!!!), which probably indicates that my body was experiencing inflammation from my carb-heavy, high fiber, meatless diet. I also never felt the "surge of energy" and "glowing health" that all my vegan literature espoused.

Plus, and this is a little weird, but totally true, I started HATING salads. I am a huge veggie lover -- there ain't one I've met that I won't eat -- but the idea of another damn salad for dinner or lunch made me want to spit nails. Since I went primal, I have a salad nearly every day. Bits of bacon and chicken, of course, help to make it more palatable, but I no longer sigh and roll my eyes when the work cafe doesn't have a primal-friendly meal. I just grab a chicken breast from the grill and head to the salad bar.

Okay, done ranting about dumbass diets. Glad you're here! I'm off to roast a chicken.
            Last edited by onalark; 05-14-2011, 01:02 PM.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Originally posted by apple View Post
              Also, there have been studies done on rats (or mice, I think) fed a mostly fruit diet. They were autopsied and found to have the fatty livers of alcoholics. Fructose is broken down by the liver only. A high fructose diet is lower glycemic because the sugar is not broken down in the stomach and small intestine the way other sugars are, but must be processed by the liver. But they are eventually broken down, and have the same eventual impact on your blood sugar, with the added bonus of working your liver over time. You wouldn't drink high fructose corn syrup, would you? Then why would you overeat high fructose fruits? Fructose is fructose, it doesn't matter what the source.
              EXCELLENT POINT! You are so right. I need to quote you for my blog I think...

And, this post is so inspirational. I wish to start success stories/interviews on my blog and make it a weekly deal. I would LOVE to start with a few cavemen/women who are former vegans/vegetarians.

Does anyone want to be the first one? I am going to publish them every Sunday.
              Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Some of my first posts here regarded adding meat back to my diet. Very good decision. Glad I tried veganism, learnt a lot about food, nutrition, and people. But I wouldn't go back.

Comment

Okay guys, as promised, I have set up a 30 day trial of the paleo/primal diet, and it's now live on my website. Feel free to email me through my website with any comments or feedback you may have:

Paleo Diet Experiment: A Former Vegan Gives It A Try for 30 Days

Comment

I checked out your website, and I couldn't figure out how to comment there. I think your thirst is/was about how much sugar you had in your blood. I googled "thirsty diabetes" cause I know it's a symptom of diabetes. You can search for the reason why you might have been so thirsty that way.

Also I am not a cold turkey type. I totally understand that.

Robin's Roost
                    My Primal Journal

Comment

Hi Herbwifemama, there is a Contact Me page on the left navigation bar. Thanks for your comments!

Comment

Have you had any blood work done? It seems like that would answer the majority of your questions on whether or not your diet is healthy.
                        "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
                        Denis Waitley

Comment

I'm actually scheduled for bloodwork on June 2. Extremely interested to find out my results. Not sure if you saw my follow-up post - I go ahead with a 30 day trial of primal eating and document my experiences:

Paleo Diet Experiment: A Former Vegan Gives It A Try for 30 Days

Comment

Working...
                          X