Ouch!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch!

So, despite all the wonderful successes and healing, my knees are still not happy with me when I walk on uneven ground, and my balance still isn't all that great. Case in point: the past two weeks. Both Saturdays, I managed to wrench my right knee so it bent sideways (two Saturdays ago, it was gopher holes popping up out of nowhere, and the week after it was a skid on gravel), and it's been stiff and sore ever since. I do my best to exercise it, but bending it past a 90-degree angle Just Ain't Happening. And right now I have to be sitting down a lot to write the last draft of my dissertation prospectus, and it stiffens up like whoa ten minutes in.

It's a huge distraction at a time when I can't afford a distraction. Anyone have any ideas for how to make it un-stiff and un-sore ASAP?
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Traumeel gel, and arnica. Rest etc.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Arnica gel will help it heal fast. Alternating heat and ice will help get the blood flowing faster.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I have used the book The Knee Crisis Handbook with several clients & the results have been great.

Comment

Have you ever tried a strict nightshade free trial? Seems to help many people with joint issues - myself included!
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I was going to say heat and ice as well. And perhaps you could consider changing your workstation to a standing one for a bit ... if that's doable?

Comment

Sorry about the knees. (hug)

Hubby got this for his knee and it really worked miracles for him.

UltrasoundCure Shop
              ~Blog~

Comment

I've never tried it, but my brother SWEARS by foam rollers. Maybe worth a shot?

Comment

Msm?

Comment

Pool therapy. Pretty much just get in a pool and move around. It's super low impact resistance and helps promote good range of motion.
                    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                    -J.Stanton

Comment

another vote for pool therapy here too, I did quite a lot of aquajogging when I was recovering from a torn calf muscle and it really helped build things up (much more than I expected).

Quite fun too!

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                        So, despite all the wonderful successes and healing, my knees are still not happy with me when I walk on uneven ground, and my balance still isn't all that great. Case in point: the past two weeks. Both Saturdays, I managed to wrench my right knee so it bent sideways (two Saturdays ago, it was gopher holes popping up out of nowhere, and the week after it was a skid on gravel), and it's been stiff and sore ever since. I do my best to exercise it, but bending it past a 90-degree angle Just Ain't Happening. And right now I have to be sitting down a lot to write the last draft of my dissertation prospectus, and it stiffens up like whoa ten minutes in.

It's a huge distraction at a time when I can't afford a distraction. Anyone have any ideas for how to make it un-stiff and un-sore ASAP?
                        1. I recommend you learn how to squat properly and then make absolutely sure you aren't bending your knees incorrectly when you are exercising. Most people get this wrong, and its a side effect of sitting in chairs all the time (see 3).

2. Slowly work your way into sitting in a third world squat. To do this start by lowering your chair until you are sitting at parallel, with your feet flat and your back straight (as if you were doing were a back squat to parallel). Then stay sitting like that for as long as possible. Then, later on, lower the seat more, or make a seat out of something, and sit lower down. Keep doing this regularly until you can with butt on a 'chair' about three inches high and have your feet flat on the ground.

3. As your doing 2 try and cut down the time you spend sitting in normal chairs. That really weakens your leg muscles and your posterior chain. And it ruins your posture.
                        A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Cortisone shots and compressive knee wraps of some description to keep the heat in. Then whatever exercise you choose.
                          Sitting all the time is a killer, I've come to notice this since I've been spending less time on the tools and more time in the office.
                          There's no glory in suffering constant pain - contrary to Nietzsche's spin on it - it actually makes you weaker.
                          Manage the pain and get on with the re-hab.

Comment

Please stay away from home ultrasound units. They're ineffective at best and dangerous at worse. I'm about to get my masters degree in occupational therapy and will be licensed in a few months, even then I won't be able to use ultrasound on clients until I get an advanced certification which takes years of additional training and supervised practice. The restrictions are in place to keep me from hurting clients but home health devices like this are woefully unregulated. An inappropriately calibrated ultrasound unit used on the same area for too long can literally burn your tissues internally.

Comment

Griff- for relief right now I would elevate and alternate hot/cold.

For long term knee health have you ever considered using a bosu ball to help with balance and building of all the small stabilizing muscles in your legs?
                              Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Comment

Working...
                              X