No announcement yet.

Stopped all soap two weeks ago

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok - Wait..... what? This is all new to me. Someone throw some knowledge on my dumb self. I use soap but only in "select" areas as my skin is chronically dry. Shampoo and conditioner I use daily. I'd love to not have to. (My hair gets greasy and funky if I don't) So enlighten me!!

Comment

No-poo links =)
      Lorraine Massey: 7 tips for going 'no poo' : The Mommy Files
      Is The No Shampoo Method Right For You? | NaturallyCurly.com
      No poo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      No ‘Poo: New & Improved! | One Green Generation
      The No Shampoo Alternative

A baking soda scrub and apple cider vinegar rinse is the most common, I've found. I have long, thick, straight (Mexican/Italian/Am. Indian type) hair. I scrub my scalp once a week or so with baking soda, followed by an ACV soak/rinse, with a little sandalwood scented coconut oil rubbed in my hands and smoothed over the surface for gloss and moisture. I comb with an oxhorn comb for scalp massage/detangling and use a good boar bristle brush for distributing natural oil evenly. That's it--no split ends, no frizzy hair, no breakage, no $$$ poured down the drain in chi-chi cosmetic SLS detergents. Hooray!

ETA: I use a little castile soap on the especially needy bits of my body, but otherwise just plain water or a baking soda scrub. Even as a kid people would ooh and aah over my clear skin and ask what the secret is. Laziness, good genetics, no soap, and cool water, I say ;0)
      Last edited by mixie; 05-08-2011, 01:33 PM.
      “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
      - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Comment

erm, this all sounds .. smelly.

I work with my dad on weekends and we get downright grimey, don't feel like putting vinegar on my body after that, but soap and some scrubbing leaves me fresh and clean. I also like to use shit on my hair, and I find that shampoo gets rid of it quite well.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

There seem to be two extremes expressed whenever this debate turns up like the proverbial bad penny. Some like their "products" and shampoo and soap everywhere every day. The other camp thinks shampoo is the spawn of the devil and even having a bar of soap in the house is unhealthy.

I come down somewhere in the middle. I totally agree that most commercial shampoos and soaps have harsh ingredients that can dry out your skin and hair's natural oils. But vinegar is an acid and baking soda is very abrasive. I really don't see how those can be considered any less caustic and un-natural to put on yourself. So I buy only all natural gentle soaps and shampoos. I also see no reason to shampoo every day but see no reason to cut it out entirely either. I shampoo about once a week. Yes, your scalp does produce less oils if you are not constantly stripping them off. Once a week works well for me without drying it out or letting it get too greasy. And my hair smells like lavender instead of cleaning products. I have an olive oil based soap that I buy at a middle eastern market for removing makeup and for what Mixie called the "specially needy" parts of the body but otherwise I don't use soap all over.

I don't think we need to go militantly no-poo in order to be living by the "Avoid poisonous things" rule. To each his or her own.

Also, from what I've read and my own experiences, the completely no-poo thing seems to work best for people with curly and/or short hair. For the long straight and fine kind, it just kind of leaves you limp.

Comment

I love soap....yummy, smelly soap, and I don't care if I could go without it. I shower twice a day most days too. I do however only shampoo once or twice a week- the rest of the time I just condition.
            I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
            Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
            "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

I don't think this would work for me, as I am a very juicy, oily person and I have limp, fine hair. I just feel so much better when I shampoo and bathe every day. Having said that, I had an elderly uncle who never bathed or shampooed. He smelled kind of bad, but he had the most beautiful thick brown hair, even into his 90's.

Comment

I have never been one who uses soap much anyways - I don't need it - a good soak in the bath and I am fine. I also haven't really needed deodorant either. I wash my hands after bathroom use and when cooking, and that is the extent of my soap use. I use shampoo and conditioner, but found a body shop version that is sulphate free and use that maybe once a week. I got my hair cut a couple of weeks ago and I was sure I was going to have to go back to daily shampoos, but I find that as long as I wet and style my hair daily, I really don't need to shampoo all the time. I may try stretching it out further - I'll just see if I can go an extra day or so between washes - that is what worked to get me to 1 week between. I used to have to wash it every day.
                Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Women with no soap: what on earth do you do when you're on your period?!?!
                  "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Amen Tiger Lily. Amen. I'm not opposed to the whole no-soap thing...but sometimes a little soap goes a LONG way! I am also super girly and I love yummy smelling lotions and potions. Does that mean I'm not Primal? Nope. Just means I do what works for me! I admire everyone's differences and I love that we can share them on here. Perhaps one day I'll give the whole 'no-soap' thing a go...Who knows?
                    Cheers to LIFE!--Bree

www.sassyprimal.com

Comment

???
                      No soap doesn't mean "no washing". For the record, I'm certainly not militant about it, it's not that I'm ascetic or luddite or tinfoil-hatty when it comes to grooming products, but I genuinely have better results with low-tech options. To each their own, on that count--as with anything, there is no right solution for everyone.

Re: period time, maybe we're getting into the TMI range, but without copious pubic hair, I just don't find menstrual products any more trouble to wash away with swishing hands and warm water than normal discharge (etc). I use cloth pads, too, and it's just not... any sort of problem. And if for some reason I'm feeling particularly filthy, a little plain soap or few drops of baby shampoo does the job just fine. For me, that's more likely to be a result of a sweaty day of livestock handling than menstruation ;0).

About vinegar's acidity and baking soda's abrasiveness, the argument against shampoo isn't that it's "abrasive" or "caustic". It's that the detergent action strips more natural oil and protective sebum away than acetic acid or the abrasion of baking soda does. Also, vinegar and baking soda are not known carcinogens; many of the ingredients of detergent-type shampoos, deodorants, and toothpaste are. Plus, I'm cheap. No-poo is a whole lot cheaper and better for the environment to boot. All the detergent we're putting into the water system is no bueno, from an ecological POV.

I *really* don't want to sound like an extremist, please trust that's not where I'm coming from. I don't need to convince anyone and don't believe that soap is the devil. I just want to dispel the inevitable "smelly, greasy, dirty hippie" notion. This is kinda why I really never tell anyone in "real life" that I really don't use any hygiene products that my great-grandma didn't use, because no matter how much you *don't* look or smell like a greasy hobo, most people are far too en-cultured toward the idea of the absolute necessity of a bathroom counter full of "products". I understand that there's no way to assure anyone over the internet that I don't smell like a filthy hobo, but I promise... I just don't.

And, okay, last point... I promise anyone in here that no-poo is as good, or better, for long hair than for short. It was actually a woman with very long hair that originally convinced me to try it. My hair is very thick, straight, and about mid-thigh length. Less-frequent and detergent-free washing keeps my hair smooth, healthy, and glossy far better than the CW for hair care. It takes your scalp a long time to produce and distribute the right amount of protective oil and sebum for long hair, and once interrupted, homeostasis takes longer to re-establish. If my hair were shoulder-length, one day and a good brushing would put the natural oil situation in order.
                      I mean, think about it. If it worked for these ladies... ;0)
                      Last edited by mixie; 05-08-2011, 05:59 PM.
                      “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."

Comment

Holy thats a whole lotta hair!!
                        "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                        Currant: 136 lbs
                        Goal: 125 lbs
                        11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Modern Cave Women View Post
                          Holy thats a whole lotta hair!!
                          Indeed. Mixie, I wasn't targeting you with the comment about some people being militant about their opposition to poo. This discussion has come up several times and there are some people who really do take it to an extreme of vehemence. You are not that.
                          I totally agree with you about detergent containing products. That's why I don't use them. I also agree with keeping the number of products to a minimum. One bar of olive oil soap, one bottle of lavender shampoo. That's it. I don't use conditioner or lotions or other potions.

Comment

Oh, I know--hope I didn't come off as defensive or whatever. I just know how quickly this kind of stuff starts to sound veeeeery nutty, and I think in an effort to express reasonable, middle-ground "no poo" I went a little overboard ;0).

Comment

You are officially my hair growth hero. Mine is on it's way from chemo bald to as long as it will go. Currently bottom of shoulder blades.

Comment

Oh, I don't think you are tin-foil-hat-y. I'm just wondering about period time, because menstrual blood has a very distinctive, strong smell. I have a terrible sense of smell, and even I can tell when the woman right next to me in yoga is on her period. And I know for a fact I stink, despite scrubbing down with soap vigorously more than once a day. I used to scrub like crazy with hot soap and water immediately before going in to work, and I know the blind guy sitting right next to me could still smell the menstrual blood. The only thing I've found that cuts that smell has grapefruit seed oil and is called Diva Wash (made by the people who make the Diva Cup). It's great stuff, and, for four days a month, I simply won't go without it. Even the blind guy can't tell.
                                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
                                X