No announcement yet.

A thread wherein guys rant, complain, and chat about MANLY MAN THINGS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just have to jump in and say I think there is a definite way to make spankings either a horrible, abusive thing, but there is also a way to make them an effective punishment. For example, if you just hit the child with no warning or explanation, to me that is abuse. However, if you take the time to give a warning first ("no, that's not an appropriate behavior, do "x" instead"...if behavior repeats, tell child if they do "x" again they will get a spanking), then explain why they got the spanking afterward, I see it as a perfectly appropriate method of discipline. I would never beat my child multiple times, or spank out of anger. Just a swat on the butt to let him know that listening to Mom is very, very important and that it is not safe to disobey because he could get hurt. I don't spank often at all, generally only in situations of imminent danger like running away from me top speed for the 3rd time at a playground. The rest of the time a simple redirect or verbal instruction is generally sufficient.

And now to get this thread back on track...
    Last edited by OperaDivaMom; 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• I got a question that I could use some manly advise on. I have a friend, who is a guy who just found out that he has what can be a potentially terminal disease. I get an odd text message from him saying "ur at work, ur gone and we can't talk and I need to see you". I called him on my break and he won't answer my calls. Do I let it go or what do I do?
      Georgette

Comment

• Dunno about Grokkina but I guess Grok will just give a big kick in the ass to little groks if they did something wrong.
        Rephrasing the famous Socrates quote: "All I know is that I know nothing" and about that fact, I am still not so sure.

Greetings! from Jorge from Venezuela.

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
          I got a question that I could use some manly advise on. I have a friend, who is a guy who just found out that he has what can be a potentially terminal disease. I get an odd text message from him saying "ur at work, ur gone and we can't talk and I need to see you". I called him on my break and he won't answer my calls. Do I let it go or what do I do?

Leave a msg/txt, tell him to txt you with a time you guys can meet up and chat.
          I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

• Originally posted by Nion View Post
            Leave a msg/txt, tell him to txt you with a time you guys can meet up and chat.
            I did that.
            Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
              I did that.
              By the moment is all you can do, later if no response, you can go to his home and see how he is. If he asked for you don't let him down.
              Rephrasing the famous Socrates quote: "All I know is that I know nothing" and about that fact, I am still not so sure.

Greetings! from Jorge from Venezuela.

Comment

• instead of focusing on if spanking is or isn't okay, i don't understand why people choose to focus on it at all. why not think of other, more effective ways to teach whatever lesson or help the kid solve the problem they're encountering? btw, geo this isn't a dig on you. i have spanked my kids, in fact i spanked my oldest within the last week (though it's random and very very rare). we can probably all agree that there are better ways of saying "that behavior isn't acceptable to me." gaining the kid's trust and working toward a cooperative solution is definitely preferable IMO, and is almost always possible.
                my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                  It's just beyond me how spanking and hitting are acceptable parenting techniques. As if hitting and communicating are even in the same realm of human behavior.
                  "Words are a wonderful form of communication, but they will never replace kisses and punches" A.Brilliant.

...on a related note- I am the product of corporal punishment, combined with extreme psychological manipulation. I like life, life likes me...

Violence is very primal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                    it's alex's pheromones. we just couldn't stay away. *snort*
                    Hmmm I thought I smelled cheeze food product.

Is Alex wearing his underoos on his head again?

Comment

• More effective means of punishment? Like rulers, cat o nines, stun guns?
                      My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                        It's just beyond me how spanking and hitting are acceptable parenting techniques. As if hitting and communicating are even in the same realm of human behavior.

What if we applied that logic to dating? "See, if you want to get a date, you can try getting in shape, learning new things, and being more outgoing. OR you can just buy a rag and some chloroform..."
                        The world wasn't always full of fucking pussies like you

Again with the red herring, wtf does parenting have to do with dating? You got an Oedipus Complex?
                        Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                        Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                        Current Weight: 235 pounds
                        Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• So what kinds of things are parents spanking their kids for these days? Working with toddlers in the Montessori system these past 6 months has been eye opening to say the least. Once they start walking and wanting to explore things on their own, it's time to start treating them like adults. Adults who are lacking in certain knowledge and fine motor skills, I grant you. Giving them responsibilities and meaningful things to do that aren't just cute busywork does wonderful things for their developing psyches. For example, we serve bread rolls at lunch most days (I know, I know, shut up) but the kids are responsible for mixing the ingredients for the dough and kneading it as best they can.

I can certainly understand how a parent can spontaneously spank or smack a kid. Starting from toddlerhood, kids challenge authority. It's just what they do. But since they are subconsciously driven to develop into their own independent person, it's a very effective technique to give them choices ("Which do you want to clean up first: your toys or your clothes?") or the illusion of choice, anyway, so that they feel like they have some kind of control. I think a lot of misbehavior stems from feelings of powerlessness and uselessness.

Anyway, that's all I know about toddlers. Except that they also can produce twice the volume of their heads in snot every day.
                          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

• Originally posted by kenn View Post
                            The world wasn't always full of fucking pussies like you

Again with the red herring, wtf does parenting have to do with dating? You got an Oedipus Complex?
                            red herring = black swan?

Comment

• Originally posted by atestforecho View Post
                              red herring = black swan?
                              BLACK SWAN
                              The term derives from the old belief that only white swans existed. Whilst it used to refer to an impossible event the discovery of black swans in Australia in the 17th century metamorphosed the meaning of the phrase to a perceived impossibility or unpredictable event taking place.

RED HERRING
                              A literary term. In story telling a 'red herring' is a narrative tool used to distract the reader or viewer from another element of the plot which is later revealed.
                              Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                              Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                              Current Weight: 235 pounds
                              Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• There has to be a balanced respect. The kids need to learn, and respect a parent's position in their respective relationships. I don't condone mindless punishment, but a line needs to be drawn, somehow. I get ticked off whenever I see too many parents as friends, and not parents.
                                If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Working...
                                X