No announcement yet.

teeth grinding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have aligned teeth and as far as I know no problems with a crowded dental arch or jaw; I never needed braces. But I still grind my teeth at night, and didn't realize it until a dentist pointed out that the inner teeth were shorter than the outer teeth. So I wear one of those night guards now (on most nights when I remember). On nights when I don't I can sometimes feel some mouth soreness when I wake up in the morning. I also used to have very bad TMJ soreness, it would make it difficult to open my mouth. Now I can just hear it lightly clicking when I swallow but that's about it. I think for me the TMJ problem was worse when I was very stress and it first developed. And I think teeth grinding is worse on those nights when I sleep very very deeply. But that's what we'd want ideally right?

Comment

I have an overbite. How would this jaw changer thing stop me from grinding at night? That's when the damage occurs. I have always had bruxism, well as long as I can remember. Although if its called by SSRI I may have to lower my dosage. I just took some B 5 and B6 supplement since they were suggested. Hopefully that will help. May have to try the bananas at night too. I do like bananas though.

That looks extremely painful I hope it doesn't do that all at once?

http://www.facialdevelopment.com/about.php
      Last edited by strom; 05-04-2011, 08:58 PM.
      My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

people can have parasites (for years and years) in the jaw as well as other locations, causing stress in the body which could cause you to grind your teeth. If the previous advice given doesn't work for you, try researching this.

Comment

Originally posted by strom View Post
          I have an overbite. How would this jaw changer thing stop me from grinding at night? That's when the damage occurs. I have always had bruxism, well as long as I can remember. Although if its called by SSRI I may have to lower my dosage. I just took some B 5 and B6 supplement since they were suggested. Hopefully that will help. May have to try the bananas at night too. I do like bananas though.

That looks extremely painful I hope it doesn't do that all at once?

Facial Development

It's actually NOT painful, as these devices use light, biologically appropriate force, unlike braces. That's the cool thing! They can reposition both the upper and lower jaw. For people with overbites, the lower jaw is usually too far back. Of course, there can be a stress aspect to teeth grinding, but even having a badly positioned jaw can trigger the nervous system into a reactive stress pattern, which seems like that would make grinding even worse!

It would be worth it to get evaluated by someone who uses these devices (both sites have lists of dentists). they'll be able to tell you what's causing the bruxism and you won't have to keep guessing.
          http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

have to go to pa for it. Not sure if my insurance will cover it, since it doesn't cover routine dental we have to pay for that. AFraid to know how much that costs. Probably at least 500. MOre likely 1000-2000 knowing how dentist like to overcharge.
            My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Originally posted by strom View Post
              have to go to pa for it. Not sure if my insurance will cover it, since it doesn't cover routine dental we have to pay for that. AFraid to know how much that costs. Probably at least 500. MOre likely 1000-2000 knowing how dentist like to overcharge.
              I know that regular dental insurance covers a little of it (just like braces) and I believe the cost is around 2K. Here's a blogger who recently started using one (I'll be curious to see his updates): Health Matters To Me: February 2011
              http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

I know it's an old topic but a lot of new studies have been done in the past two years on bruxism. And I think it's worth mentioning them here.

Stress is a factor causing sleep bruxism, but if you are suffering from sleep bruxism on a consistent basic (aka every night) for a long time, you may want to look for other causes. For example, if you wake up often during the night, or if you change position often without realizing it, your bruxism could be caused by a respiratory sleep disorder. The drop in oxygen wakes the nervous system, which increases the pulse and blood pressure and then activates the jaw muscles. All of this is of course outside your awareness.

It's only a guess, but someone mentioned in this thread that eating primal for a few months stopped their teeth grinding at night. It could well be it was not directly the primal diet that got rid of the bruxism, but losing a few pounds could have made breathing easier at night. Some people stop having sleep apnea, for example, when they lose weight. But obviously, this is only a guess since skinny people can also suffer from sleep apnea or upper airway resistance syndrome. If you suffer from bruxism, I found this website quite helpful: Your Teeth Grinding Support Group | CureYourBruxism.com

Comment

Working...
                X