Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Yes, this. Absolutely.

    I can EASILY eat a pound of meat and not realize it. I use a food scale and measuring cups. It might seem neurotic to some, but I need that to know what's enough.
    Not neurotic at all, just sensible.

    Comment


    • #32
      I know I haven't been getting enough protein ... and just before I read your thread I ate half a bag of pork rinds!
      I've got probably 25 lbs to go to get to my HSIS weight, and I've been stuck for a couple of weeks, so your post is really timely.


      Thanks for the reality check
      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

      F/49/5'4"
      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
      CW: 146.8 lbs
      GW 140 lbs
      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by belinda View Post
        I know I haven't been getting enough protein ... and just before I read your thread I ate half a bag of pork rinds!
        I've got probably 25 lbs to go to get to my HSIS weight, and I've been stuck for a couple of weeks, so your post is really timely.
        Thanks for the reality check
        You're welcome. I love me some pork rinds. The problem is they don't give you much protein bang for the fat buck.

        Comment


        • #34
          Great round up Paleo for what was an epic original thread!

          An update on me which has highlighted a couple of aspects of the importance of the whole picture.

          3 weeks of counting and keeping around 10-30-60 carb-protein-fat at about 1700 calories and I lost 5-6 lbs. I was doing 5 - 8 hours of activity each week including 1 heavy weights, 1 body weight, 1 sprint-style session plus moving about slowing for the balance.

          The following month (coincided with no tracking) has been hugely stressful and my sleep has gone to pot and my training dropped too. The result gaining back much of the loss but still eating the same ratios (just about - but more overall) the messages for me ...

          Cortisol (the stress hormone) is the killer, it really disrupts the appetite and promotes fat storage - focus on reducing it where possible.
          Sleep is mega important, disrupt that and the cortisol is up and the grazing kicks in.
          Moving about - it does make a difference.

          I liked the discipline of the tracking (but I like numbers) I felt more in control but now I really need to dial it into my head what are good portions, what are good food combinations so that when under pressure it is still my default setting! I love to eat, I love food and can easily hugely overeat all the good stuff and having such an uber-effcient engine the excess fuel just gets stored!
          Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

          Comment


          • #35
            That's why it's so good that there are so many methods. I used an internal gage, rather than a measurement -- it's worked well for me. But, I am hyper conscious of it. People do think I'm a bit bats.

            Comment


            • #36
              This is me. I've been PB now for nearly 3 months and while I feel great and have lost a little, I haven't lost much. I've only got about 10 'vanity' pounds left so it's pretty hard, but I think you may be on to something. I was wondering if you tell me what a typical day's menu looks like for you. I'm trying to play around with fitday and sparkpeople to find a good 1400-1500 calorie day with the macros you mentioned and I'm just wondering how you do it. I'm thinking lots of boiled eggs and lean meat? Any other advice?

              Comment


              • #37
                I appreciate this discussion. I feel great on the PB, but, if anything, I've gained fat. And, TMI, but my PMS has gotten so much worse. Lately I've been looking into dairy in depth, and given all the growth factors and hormones present, even in organic/raw, I've chosen to eliminate it on a trial basis. Reading this thread and some other sources (berkhan, mcdonald, etc.) prompted me to re-evaluate my fat intake in relation to protein. This week, I've upped protein significantly and cut fat, and already my clothes fit better and I can see changes. I plan to continue this, in addition to IF. Feeling pretty hopeful!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by peril View Post
                  Very succinct Robin.

                  Here is a way of calculating your HSIS weight, based on BMI. I'll use a 5'7" woman as an example
                  1. Start with your ideal BMI. 22.5 is the normal midpoint
                  2. Multiply by the square of your height in metres to get HSIS weight in kg. Eg 5'7" is 1.7m (multiply height in inches by 0.0254) so that gives 22.5*1.7*1.7=65 kg
                  3. Multiply by 2.2 to convert to pounds - 65*2.2=143lb
                  4. At HSIS weight, a woman will have approx 20% body fat and a man approx 13%. Call this number x. Lean body mass is then (1-x/100)*HSIS. So our hot woman will have (1-.2)*143=114lb LBM
                  5. Target protein should then be this number in g, ie 114g of protein per day

                  Like Paleo, I got to where I increased fat and lo & behold I stopped losing. I lowered fat intake recently and am noticing that I do seem to be losing fat now. This is my question(I suck at math so forgive me). I got through to step 3 in the HSIS calculations but can't seem to figure out what to do from there. I'm 5'5 and multiplied by .0254 and got 1.651. Multiplied 22.5x1.7x1.7=65.025 kg. 65.025x2.2=143lb. I can't figure out the rest. I am totally lost.
                  Georgette

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Kelda View Post
                    Great round up Paleo for what was an epic original thread!

                    An update on me which has highlighted a couple of aspects of the importance of the whole picture.

                    3 weeks of counting and keeping around 10-30-60 carb-protein-fat at about 1700 calories and I lost 5-6 lbs. I was doing 5 - 8 hours of activity each week including 1 heavy weights, 1 body weight, 1 sprint-style session plus moving about slowing for the balance.

                    The following month (coincided with no tracking) has been hugely stressful and my sleep has gone to pot and my training dropped too. The result gaining back much of the loss but still eating the same ratios (just about - but more overall) the messages for me ...

                    Cortisol (the stress hormone) is the killer, it really disrupts the appetite and promotes fat storage - focus on reducing it where possible.
                    Sleep is mega important, disrupt that and the cortisol is up and the grazing kicks in.
                    Moving about - it does make a difference.

                    I liked the discipline of the tracking (but I like numbers) I felt more in control but now I really need to dial it into my head what are good portions, what are good food combinations so that when under pressure it is still my default setting! I love to eat, I love food and can easily hugely overeat all the good stuff and having such an uber-effcient engine the excess fuel just gets stored!
                    Hi Kelda, Great to hear from you.
                    I think a 30/60 protein /fat split is still too far in the direction of fat and doesn't give you enough protein. Mine keeps coming up about even. about 45% each with the 10%carbs.

                    That said, you are so right about the cortisol factor. While nobody can wave a magic wand and make your stressors go away, you are the one in charge of how you deal with them. Perhaps people could include a yoga or tai chi class in their workout schedule if they feel that this is the case for them. Or get a massage (preferably from a friend). But I find just about any exercise to be a good stress buster particularly if it gets me out in nature, out of the house.

                    I hope you find your ideal balance. Keep me informed on your progress.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                      That's why it's so good that there are so many methods. I used an internal gage, rather than a measurement -- it's worked well for me. But, I am hyper conscious of it. People do think I'm a bit bats.
                      Yes, you are a bit bats, but we love you anyway.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I awoke thinking of this this morning.

                        I wonder if the above is part of the reason Paleo women don't seem to struggle with weight loss/plateaus as much, at least not from what I can see. I'd always figured it was the dairy, but perhaps this is the second piece to the puzzle.

                        Anyway, CONGRATS, Robin! Twelve pounds, lost so quickly and easily, on a body that's pretty close to target to begin with, is significant.
                        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by j_wren View Post
                          This is me. I've been PB now for nearly 3 months and while I feel great and have lost a little, I haven't lost much. I've only got about 10 'vanity' pounds left so it's pretty hard, but I think you may be on to something. I was wondering if you tell me what a typical day's menu looks like for you. I'm trying to play around with fitday and sparkpeople to find a good 1400-1500 calorie day with the macros you mentioned and I'm just wondering how you do it. I'm thinking lots of boiled eggs and lean meat? Any other advice?
                          I have found fitday to be off by a significant amount on several occasions when I checked their database against foods with nutritional labels. Just sayin'.

                          Typical menu...hmm....I have settled in on a two meal a day plan (I'm just not hungry for 3 and if I only do 1 a la leangains, I tend to overdo it on the one big meal. Also there was some evidence brought out in the original thread about huge chunks of protein all at once like that causing insulin spikes.)

                          Usually eggs in the morning, somewhere between 4 and 6. Mix in some spinach or salsa fresca, yumm.

                          Dinner is protein + salad or other veg
                          Favorite proteins lately:
                          seafood
                          chicken cooked in the crock pot
                          lamb
                          goat (dirt cheap and delicious)
                          kangaroo
                          bison
                          venison
                          elk
                          I have gotten over my aversion to offal. Heart makes the best jerky and liver is really quite good if cooked well.

                          With these protein dense but relatively non-fatty sources, you can eat a large quantity without overdoing the calories. I find it more satisfying than a smaller quantity of something fatty like brisket or bacon.

                          For veggies, I have gotten away from the roots like carrots and parsnips and the winter squashes like acorn and butternut for the time being, yummy but too carb heavy. I stick to lots of BIG Big Ass Salads. Otherwise I eat what is organic and in season.

                          I found some whey protein powder that I use as a supplement now and then. Mark's Primal Fuel is yummy but it includes a lot of coconut which adds nothing to the protein, only excess fat and calories galore. I drank too many of those at Primalcon and put back on 4 lbs then had to get them off again. The brand I use is Hammer Nutrition and it is only minimally sweetened with stevia. It's good for, in the evening if you look at your sparkpeople numbers and see that you are coming up a little short on protein but don't want to add too many calories, you can make a shake as a nightcap or sometimes you just don't have the time or the inclination for eggs in the morning.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by grokina View Post
                            I appreciate this discussion. I feel great on the PB, but, if anything, I've gained fat. And, TMI, but my PMS has gotten so much worse. Lately I've been looking into dairy in depth, and given all the growth factors and hormones present, even in organic/raw, I've chosen to eliminate it on a trial basis. Reading this thread and some other sources (berkhan, mcdonald, etc.) prompted me to re-evaluate my fat intake in relation to protein. This week, I've upped protein significantly and cut fat, and already my clothes fit better and I can see changes. I plan to continue this, in addition to IF. Feeling pretty hopeful!
                            Excellent. I really found that getting the dairy out of my system was helpful too. While I wasn't "lactose intolerant" per se, it was giving me a chronic low level case of stuffed up sinuses without which I feel like I'm getting much better sleep.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Excellent information! For most of my weight loss I have just been going by how I feel and rough estimates, however I think keeping track of calories would be a good idea. I tend to eat the same meals that I enjoy fairly often, so once I calculate what the meal comprises it will be easy to keep track of. Most of the foods I buy have the nutritional information on the label that I can add as a custom food if it's not already in the online food database. I am also doing the 16/8 or 20/4 intermittent fasting so there's only one or two meals a day on average that I'll need to track.

                              Thanks for putting all the info together!
                              5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
                              Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

                              10-11-10
                              Weight: 259
                              Total Cholesterol: 243
                              LDL: 188
                              HDL: 40
                              Trig: 96

                              2-18-11
                              Weight: 228
                              Total Cholesterol: 239
                              LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
                              HDL: 46
                              Trig: 49

                              6-23-11
                              Weight: 197.2
                              Total Cholesterol: 225
                              LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
                              HDL: 56
                              Trig: 38

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by geostump View Post
                                Like Paleo, I got to where I increased fat and lo & behold I stopped losing. I lowered fat intake recently and am noticing that I do seem to be losing fat now. This is my question(I suck at math so forgive me). I got through to step 3 in the HSIS calculations but can't seem to figure out what to do from there. I'm 5'5 and multiplied by .0254 and got 1.651. Multiplied 22.5x1.7x1.7=65.025 kg. 65.025x2.2=143lb. I can't figure out the rest. I am totally lost.
                                Hi Georgette,
                                Yes Peril was being helpful to those who use the metric system, but for us yanks, it added another layer of math. At 5'5" your HSIS weight is about 125. At 20% body fat that is 100lbs of lean mass. I would set the range of grams of protein needed per day (on whatever tracking device you are using) between these two numbers 100-125.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X