Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, I tend to eat breakfast around 9am and dinner around 5pm and I'm not missing not having lunch in between at all. Technically you could say that I am doing a daily 8/16 IF or you could just say that I eat only two meals and don't snack. Same dif. I think the cutting out the snacking is the reason a lot of people see such good results with IFing. I don't think there is anything magical about skipping breakfast. When I skip breakfast, I am more likely to overeat the rest of the day.
    My suspicion exactly. Just got to the part of the thread in which you say the Kruse stuff makes some sense. Though I am skeptical of some things, I figure you can't go wrong with no snacking, an evening eating cutoff time and a solid breakfast that can keep you grounded for the rest of the day.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

• These are the "rules" I came up with...

RULE 1: Keep 3 hours before bedtime food free
      RULE 2: Eat 3 meals a day, no snacks
      RULE 3 : Eat to satisfaction, not stuffed
      RULE 4: Eat a high protein breakfast soon after arising-trying to get 50g protein within the 30 mins. after waking up
      RULE 5: Carbs between 25 and 50

I still pretty much use these, they are pretty reasonable and they seem to work for me.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I just read this entire thread on my lunch hour! Thank you so much for starting it Paleobird. I am one of those "older women" who has Paleo dialed in, but cannot seem to lose my 15 pounds of excess weight no matter how clean my diet was, I was still consuming too many calories.

Last week I did an experiment and still ate 100% Primal, but kept my average to no more than 1400 calories a day. This morning, I was down a 1/2 pound! It's not much, but it's good to see the scale moving in the right direction - I have been building some nice muscle working with a great trainer, but unfortunately it's buried under fat in some places on my body. I'm going to stick with this calorie level for awhile and see what happens ...
        "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
        ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

• Fantastic posts!! My biggest problem is I am still constantly hungry, especially in the afternoons. I get up about 4am(ish!) and have now started doing 2 a day exercises, via CF and CF endurance three times a week, where I have more time. I drink my protein in the AM as I have a problem eating real food first thing, makes me nauseous (has since I was a kid). It's usually about 30-40ish g of protein. Then I am hungry by 8AM. Lunch is usually meat and veggies and then there is several hours between lunch at 1100/1200 and dinner anywhere from 5-7pm for me. I drive in the AM and PM and there is no way to get around it for now. My weight has been stagnant at about 170lbs for nearly three years since the birth of my second and now my third (8 mos ago). I struggled/ing with weight loss, eating primal 80/20 and doing CF but not losing anything but definitely getting definition and strength gains. I know its the diet, I am having a problem working through the carb cravings. Any idea how to help with these? I can fast if I don't eat Breakfast, but I know its important, and I know its important to eat right after exercise. I don't eat when I need to and even when that isn't a factor I'm starving 2-4 hrs after a good meal and make poor choices. I know calories in/out is as important for women as well as macronutrient ratios. I just can't figure out what my body wants/needs nutrient wise to stay satiated within my designated caloric needs, especially when workouts get more intense. I don't know how to address this that doesn't add more calories and defeat my weight loss goals.

Comment

• Being hungry 2-4 hrs after a meal indicates the typical glucose crash. You are not adapted to burning fat. You need to train your body to using fat rather than glucose as your primary fuel. Sounds like you're getting enough protein. What about fat?
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

• I get my fat from my meat or nuts, was doing 3 tablespoons 3-4 times a day but have drawn that down as sometimes with my protein intake, I hit that 100g of fat real quick.
              I'm kinda confused with the nuts though, do I count those carbs too? Because I dropped the nuts this week, as even on just two servings I would go over my carbs. I eat a deluxe mix, with almonds, brazil nuts, and cashews with the serving size being 3Tbls. I'm just trying to get everything set so I can just repeat my meals and not have to worry about it all. I'm still in the impatient phase and I'm guessing my body isn't totally switched over to utilizing fat. I'm trying to tighten my cal intake and doing well keeping it under 1600 cals most days, though sometimes I struggle to have more than 1200, some days not being hungry.

Comment

• if you are counting carbs, you count them all.
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I want to know why it was so easy for me. Why do so many people struggle? I've lost 50 pounds and have nice abs, can do tons of body-weight workouts, and still eat globs of fat every day. I did cut back on the coconut milk and it did help get through those last few pounds. But I never eat bacon. It's trash. Tons of coconut oil, beef tallow, and avocado. Pound of meat a day is the goal - salmon, eggs, lamb, duck, grass-fed ground beef, a pound of liver, other odds and ends I might find. Greens and berries on the side, lots of herbs and some teas. I sip a bite of honey once a day for my allergies and take vitamin D every few days, and plenty of bone broth. Seaweed once or twice a week. It makes me mad that this doesn't work for everyone. Or are all you idiots eating bacon?
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Not an idiot, thank you very much. And if you are mad that it doesn't work for everyone you can imagine how I feel since I am one of the ones it doesn't work for.

Never eat bacon or any food of that sort. Coconut oil and avocado in moderation. 9 different fruits and veggies a day, (not necessarily full servings) none starch. teas, herbs, spices, coffee, with a tablespoon of cream in the morning, other than that no dairy. Coconut milk on occasion in my tea as a treat. Stevia as sweetener when needed. bone broth based soup for lunch daily.

I suspect that age, gender, past history among other things make a difference.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• No, you're not idiots. I'm just frustrated to see so many people struggle. Yes, there are many factors to consider, and it is mostly true that everyone's health has improved once they cut the junk out of their diet and went to eating real food. As for the weight loss, it baffles me that it doesn't happen automatically. To gain weight, I'd have to eat over 3000 calories of low-carb primal food daily, or at least 2500 calories of starchy primal food. It's just sad to me that anyone fails to lose weight, and that some have actually gained weight.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        No, you're not idiots. I'm just frustrated to see so many people struggle. Yes, there are many factors to consider, and it is mostly true that everyone's health has improved once they cut the junk out of their diet and went to eating real food. As for the weight loss, it baffles me that it doesn't happen automatically. To gain weight, I'd have to eat over 3000 calories of low-carb primal food daily, or at least 2500 calories of starchy primal food. It's just sad to me that anyone fails to lose weight, and that some have actually gained weight.
                        I really think sometimes it's a gender thing. I notice most of the paleo/primal gurus are men, who talk about effortless weight loss.

I am pretty strict in my primal/paleo eating. If I don't weigh/measure, though, I don't lose weight. I'm trying now to just cut back portions and see where that gets me. I don't want to be fanatical about the calorie counting, but I know that if I eat liberally of the fats and proteins, I'll not gain weight, but I also won't lose.

That said, I feel fantastic. I am rarely hungry. And that's awesome. I'm much more content with my weight when I feel good. Nothing sucks more than feeling like you're going to gnaw your arm off, and staying stuck at the same measurements.
                        Steph
                        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• It's true. All the stuff Mark describes about not really being hungry, floating on the edge of ketosis and dipping in and out of it with ease, all seems to happen for me. With all the hormonal variations between men and women, it should be evident that many women would need a slightly different approach. I know there are already tons of threads for women with specific strategies for cutting that fat and optimizing their health. Has Mark addressed this in a blog post? I wonder if there should be a female-specific sub-forum for this whole topic...
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• There should be. I think women get closer to the results men have as they get more muscle because ultimately that has a huge effect on metabolism. Also, I am willing to lay bets that women have more stress in their lives. People judge and expect more from women in general, so we consistently have a lot more shit to take care of/put up with.
                            Starting weight: 225
                            Current weight: 195
                            Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
                            Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
                            My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

• People judge and expect more from women in general
                              Maybe in some cases. But usually you can't really get women out of your business. They really like shove the men out of the way, take control, and do it all themselves. So they really shouldn't complain about having more to do, because they wanted it that way. So we let you. And it probably hurts us both.

DISCLAIMER: This is a generalization in response to the first generalization. All limitations to consistency and applicability are duly noted.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• I suspect that it comes down to evolution and genetics. Men and women are different and that is a very good thing! They likely had different roles and therefore evolved adaptations to maximize their roles. Now why that means it is generally so much harder for us to lose weight, I wish I knew. But, at least for me, it was not automatic with the switch to primal, sadly. Would have been nice!
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X