No announcement yet.

Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for this. I am starting a Leptin Reset, as going straight PB has not produced results. Part of this for me is learning to catch the "I am done" signal before I fly past it. I am pretty sure a bit of calorie counting is in order for me, it is just figuring out what the count should be that may take some work. But I am in it for the long haul, so I have time to experiment.

Appreciate your willingness to share this even though it appears to have opened you up to some barbs along the way.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by pollydinasaur View Post
      Was directed to this post and its fantastic! (and you look amazing - totally fantastic)

Thanks so much for this thread paleobird, having gained a few pounds and having no idea where I was going wrong. I've been eating primal , no binges, but going for it it on the "eat more bacon/fat" way. I've been eating too much. The switch has not flicked properly for me - am I hungry or not (heck just shove some fat down) greed was taking over!

Just signed up for spark people and going to cut dairy and keep an eye on stuff - going to try and aim for a 45/45/10 split and aim for 1500 cals a day (after being on 1200 and less for the last year years this is quite luxurious)

So thanks to everyone who posted - I think a bit of tracking will get me there and then allow me to break free.
      Yes, everyone keeps telling you to keep shoveling in the fat and keep the faith. And then you learn to think for yourself. I think 95% of the objections would fizzle if people actually *read the book* instead of just going off forum advice. I'm so glad this thread could help. Keep me posted on how it works out for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
        Thanks for this. I am starting a Leptin Reset, as going straight PB has not produced results. Part of this for me is learning to catch the "I am done" signal before I fly past it. I am pretty sure a bit of calorie counting is in order for me, it is just figuring out what the count should be that may take some work. But I am in it for the long haul, so I have time to experiment.

Appreciate your willingness to share this even though it appears to have opened you up to some barbs along the way.
        I got most of the weight off with the calorie counting but I think Dr. K does have a point about a large protein breakfast and no snacking. I have evolved the leptin reset into a two meal a day plan which works well for me. I just don't have the appetite or time for three meals.

People who have a loud and clear satiety signal don't understand those people who don't. They say, "Eat when you're, hungry, stop when you're not", like it's just the most natural thing in the world. They think why can't people get this? Anyone who counts or weighs must be an OCD freak. Well, a lot of us don't have that nice clear signal, we need to impose some controls from the outside in.

The good news is that, when you get back to a healthy weight on PB foods, it's very easy to maintain. I feel like my satiety signals are working well now. I'm not sure how much of that to credit to Dr K and how much to just losing weight.

I'm glad this could help you in your ongoing experiment. Let me know how it works out for you.

Comment

• I am just starting work on the 5 essential movements, as well as adding walking to my day (I wear a pedometer and my goal is to get to 12,000 a day-eventually). As to sprints, eventually I will get there.

But I have to say that yesterday I was doing yard work and lifted a huge branch and then noticed yellow "flowers" gracefully fall away. Well it turns out they were bees (time to get my eyes checked?) and let me tell you I got a sprint in there, quick stress, and with apologies to my neighbors, much colorful verbiage! Only got stung 3 times so no big deal, actually funny as I look back on it.

Anyway, I find it much easier not to snack now that I work to eat a lot of protein for breakfast. I have to say I did not think it would work that way, but I am obviously learning something new every day. I have committed to myself to continue the 5 rules of Leptin Reset from Mastering Leptin, until my birthday (11/11/11). I am thinking then that I may end up dropping to 2 meals as well.

I tend to eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast- and for lunch and dinner I just switch around which protein and veggies I eat, so I don't closely count calories but I have a very good idea of where I fall-40 years of counting calories means I pretty much know how many calories are in everything whether I want to or not. I keep track of what I eat on my journal and go to fit day to plan and check up on myself occasionally. I used to do spark, but when I get on there I tend to spend time checking up on "friends" and roaming the site, so I try not to go there.

I am confident that the PB paradigm is mine for life, and know that it will eventually bring me to my genetic best. Thanks again for your help and encouragement.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

I am just starting work on the 5 essential movements, as well as adding walking to my day (I wear a pedometer and my goal is to get to 12,000 a day-eventually). As to sprints, eventually I will get there.

But I have to say that yesterday I was doing yard work and lifted a huge branch and then noticed yellow "flowers" gracefully fall away. Well it turns out they were bees (time to get my eyes checked?) and let me tell you I got a sprint in there, quick stress, and with apologies to my neighbors, much colorful verbiage! Only got stung 3 times so no big deal, actually funny as I look back on it.

Anyway, I find it much easier not to snack now that I work to eat a lot of protein for breakfast. I have to say I did not think it would work that way, but I am obviously learning something new every day. I have committed to myself to continue the 5 rules of Leptin Reset from Mastering Leptin, until my birthday (11/11/11). I am thinking then that I may end up dropping to 2 meals as well.

I tend to eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast- and for lunch and dinner I just switch around which protein and veggies I eat, so I don't closely count calories but I have a very good idea of where I fall-40 years of counting calories means I pretty much know how many calories are in everything whether I want to or not. I keep track of what I eat on my journal and go to fit day to plan and check up on myself occasionally. I used to do spark, but when I get on there I tend to spend time checking up on "friends" and roaming the site, so I try not to go there.

I am confident that the PB paradigm is mine for life, and know that it will eventually bring me to my genetic best. Thanks again for your help and encouragement.
            I think the PBF workout plan including lots of walking and the five essential movements has to be the best all around physical conditioning plan I have ever seen. Sorry about your "unplanned sprint" (Yikes!) but do try to get some sprints in even if it just "Ok, from here to the corner, flat out" once. You can work up to doing them in as many sets as Mark recommends.

Yes, the leptin reset did put the snack attack monster to rest once and for all. Then you build new habits that don't involve snacking and it sticks with you. I would recommend dropping from 3 to 2 meals but only when it feels natural to do so, not when you are holding yourself back from eating. I just found that when I ate that big breakfast, I would go about my day and the next thing I knew it was 4:30 or 5:00pm.

I never really got into the whole "community" thing on SparkPeople. I just used it for logging and figuring macros.
            You are well on your way and have a great attitude. I'm sure you will succeed.

Comment

• I am thinking I will do the jump rope for the sprints, I am not really a runner, never been. I am a swimmer and a dancer. Don't have access to a pool right now, and I think that the jump rope will be more sprint like than dancing.

I am not good at a big breakfast, Lunch is really my big meal. I can definitely see myself doing coffee/cream/maybe protein powder for my breakfast-which I have now, but because I am doing the Leptin Reset, I also have a couple of eggs and some sausage, which I would be happy to do without. And dinner is usually fairly small as well.

One of the things I am doing is eating smaller meals in general, well except for breakfast which I used to just do coffee and cream. But I do notice it takes less for me to feel like I have eaten a meal. And very happy to be rid of the need to snack.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• frustrated with weight gain

was referred to this post after complaining of gaining and not losing weight first three weeks on PB.
                It makes perfect sense what you have highlighted. I do not like the idea of counting calories but I do think I have gone "hog-wild" on the missing fats in my diet.....so much so that I may have sabotaged my efforts to lose a few lbs. I am going to try increasing my protein and cutting back on fat....I'll keep you "posted". Thanks!

Comment

• how did I miss this thread? Like it

Comment

I am thinking I will do the jump rope for the sprints, I am not really a runner, never been. I am a swimmer and a dancer. Don't have access to a pool right now, and I think that the jump rope will be more sprint like than dancing.

I am not good at a big breakfast, Lunch is really my big meal. I can definitely see myself doing coffee/cream/maybe protein powder for my breakfast-which I have now, but because I am doing the Leptin Reset, I also have a couple of eggs and some sausage, which I would be happy to do without. And dinner is usually fairly small as well.

One of the things I am doing is eating smaller meals in general, well except for breakfast which I used to just do coffee and cream. But I do notice it takes less for me to feel like I have eaten a meal. And very happy to be rid of the need to snack.
                    You don't have to "be a runner" in order to run sprints. Just imagine that the guy from Halloween is chasing you with a chainsaw and RUN! It could be done with a jumprope I suppose if you can sustain it long enough and hard enough. The point about sprints is to get yourself to the point where you are completely sucking wind as fast as possible, rest for the minimum time necessary to get heart and breathing back under control, rinse and repeat.

I know the big breakfast thing about the leptin reset feels weird at first but stick with it. It is easier to get the protein you need without feeling stuffed if you just skip the bacon or sausage and just have some extra eggs instead. Also, I try to stay away from processed meats entirely. Unless you are making your own, I think people around here are kidding themselves about those being primal. They can have lots of additives.

Not saying you need to do this but, cutting out all dairy really made a big difference for me. I was not really lactose intolerant in the digestive sense, but it was still causing a low level chronic systemic inflammatory reaction. It is a big switch to learn to appreciate a good cup of black coffee but it was worth it for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by balanced View Post
                      was referred to this post after complaining of gaining and not losing weight first three weeks on PB.
                      It makes perfect sense what you have highlighted. I do not like the idea of counting calories but I do think I have gone "hog-wild" on the missing fats in my diet.....so much so that I may have sabotaged my efforts to lose a few lbs. I am going to try increasing my protein and cutting back on fat....I'll keep you "posted". Thanks!
                      Yes, it's easy to go, "You mean I can eat bacon? Really? WHOOOPIEEE!" And proceed to eat the whole pound of it. I wish you well in your efforts to bring things back down to earth.

Comment

• Originally posted by malloyevelyn110 View Post
                        how did I miss this thread? Like it
                        Thank you. I hope it could be of help to you.

Comment

• I think I would actually would be more successful with the jump rope, but I will try both ways and see.

The sausage I use is Jones natural, pork, spices, salt. I am a big label reader. So I tend to do those with breakfast. I will try the switch to scrambled eggs I could eat 4 of those and that would save me about 100 calories and 10g of fat (which I could use elsewhere). I was in a hurry this morning and just had homemade beef jerky with my coffee.

I have cut all dairy except for the cream and whey in my morning coffee. I am going to have to have tried everything else imaginable before I drop that. I would likely just stop coffee all together first. then I would have to add 2 more eggs to that scramble. It is something I really enjoy though so I would have to get to a point where I didn't feel deprived without it. Cause nothing will set off triggers faster for me that feeling deprived.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• PB, d oyou do butter?

It is easier to get the protein you need without feeling stuffed if you just skip the bacon or sausage and just have some extra eggs instead.
                            I find the opposite - it feels like a death sentence to have to eat 7 or 8 eggs, but I can easily do 3 eggs + 4oz sausage (from our pastured pig). (OTOH, I would never want 1/4lb bacon, bleh.)
                            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              Yes, the leptin reset did put the snack attack monster to rest once and for all. Then you build new habits that don't involve snacking and it sticks with you. I would recommend dropping from 3 to 2 meals but only when it feels natural to do so, not when you are holding yourself back from eating. I just found that when I ate that big breakfast, I would go about my day and the next thing I knew it was 4:30 or 5:00pm.
                              I'm finding the same thing with the reset. The body sure gets used to how we feed it. It's interesting how different approaches have led many paleos/primals to fewer feedings and the control that brings.
                              In the past I've liked the six meal a day body building type plan. But that a narrow path to follow. I no longer view getting hungry after 2.5 to 3 hours a good thing. Now it seems crippling and unhealthy.
                              Congrats on reaching your goal weight. You look great.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                                PB, d oyou do butter?

I find the opposite - it feels like a death sentence to have to eat 7 or 8 eggs, but I can easily do 3 eggs + 4oz sausage (from our pastured pig). (OTOH, I would never want 1/4lb bacon, bleh.)
                                Same here. Eggs are just...so...eggy. If I go past 3, I'm not loving it. Especially scrambled.
                                Steph
                                My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Working...
                                X