Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jspradley View Post
    Except it stopped being fun as soon as CaptainMonoManic posted...lol
    Cute. Thanks js, I needed a a good chuckle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
      I agree it was derailed, but the summary in the original post was really handy and much easier than reading the entirety of the old thread. So, thanks Paleobird.
      You're welcome. I'm glad it could help.

Comment

• Yesterday I just thought, in the spirit of fairness, I might give Choco's idea about carb re-feeding a try. Last night I happened to be out at a polynesian restaurant where they served taro root so I thought what a good chance to give it a go. I had had a hard workout a few hours earlier, kept fat level low (seared ahi salad for dinner). The only change was the extra carb.

I put on two pounds.

Thanks a bunch but no thanks.

Comment

• more likely water weight from increased salt, not the taro root.

not saying that you should or must refeed, but a bit of taro root isn't going to equal a 2 lb gain that quickly -- but salt and water can.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
            more likely water weight from increased salt, not the taro root.

not saying that you should or must refeed, but a bit of taro root isn't going to equal a 2 lb gain that quickly -- but salt and water can.
            It could have been a lot of things, true. Two pounds one way or the other isn't that big a deal. But my point was that, in my situation, adding extra carb isn't a magic bullet for weight loss. While I have been seeing consistent progress with the calorie restriction plan over several weeks.

Comment

• Well, like I said, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. But, your assertion is really based on false premises.

The idea that you're putting forth is that you ate more carbs yesterday (than normal), and I assume within your normal caloric amount, and that because of this, you gained weight. But, it isn't likely, because a carbohydrate increase would take at least a few days for those kinds of results -- just logically speaking.

Again, this is not to say that you should refeed, or that it is right for you (I think you should do whatever is working). But rather, to point out that just because you are attributing your weight gain to the refeed doesn't mean that it is the cause, or that it is something that should be avoided by everyone (looking to loose weight) altogether.

KWIM?

Comment

• Paleobird, that really is pretty faulty reasoning. Not saying you should do a refeed, but you haven't gathered any evidence against one, there.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• I just posted about it because I thought it was an amusing anecdote. It's not definitive proof of anything. I know that. I was just kidding around OK?

Comment

• Yes. It's hard to read tone online, as we know.

Comment

• I haven't read all the replies but yes, it all makes sense and I think it's really going to help me. I'm going to start today by cutting out the coconut milk in my coffee and coconut oil in everything. I was doing a ton of crossfit and losing last summer, but I have tapered way off on my workouts and need to adjust my eating to match.

Thank you for this post!

Comment

• Originally posted by My Name is Prince View Post
                        I haven't read all the replies but yes, it all makes sense and I think it's really going to help me. I'm going to start today by cutting out the coconut milk in my coffee and coconut oil in everything. I was doing a ton of crossfit and losing last summer, but I have tapered way off on my workouts and need to adjust my eating to match.

Thank you for this post!
                        You're welcome. I love coconut everything. I gave away all my coconut butter to a skinny friend and I just use the oil for cooking. If you stick a finger in the jar and get a little bit and smear it around a non-stick pan, that is really all you need. Before I had been using a big dollop in every saute. Learning to appreciate the taste of a good cup of black coffee is important. So often we put a little plop of cream or coconut milk in each cup and never think twice about it but all those little plops add up over the course of the day.

Comment

• Thanks for the quick reference guide, Paleobird. I have been struggling with an unfriendly scale (actually up a bit this week, after being down 4 pounds over 6 week, but I am hoping that's just TOM water weight....). I was keeping a food journal pretty consistently before I started the primal plan in earnest, and had my net calories around 1350 (after subtracting what I burned from cardio, bike commuting, etc). That was what Fit Day recommended based on my starting weight, goal weight and activity level. But I stopped tracking when I started primal-ing, and have def added some more fat, so I suspect, even with cutting out snacking, my calories have crept up.

As of today, I have started a journal here on the forum, and also re-dedicated myself to a month at least of tracking on Fit Day so I can keep my real calories at 1300-1400. I'm super limited on cardio options right now becuase of an injury, so my old favorites turbo kick and boot camp are out or have to be seriously modified. So I'll focus more on lifting heavy things, light activity, and good nutrition, based on your plan. Biggest struggle will be meeting my protein goals. With eggs for breakfast, salmon for lunch and yak/wild boar sausage for dinner, my planned menu today only gets me to 85 grams. I am gonna have to sneak in some jerky somewhere and considering upping my protein serving size and cutting down on the veggie portion of my meals. We'll see how it goes. You've inspired me!
                          My primal journey involves a lot of (chocolate) slip-ups. But, I'm all about getting back on the horse!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sashi View Post
                            Thanks for the quick reference guide, Paleobird. I have been struggling with an unfriendly scale (actually up a bit this week, after being down 4 pounds over 6 week, but I am hoping that's just TOM water weight....). I was keeping a food journal pretty consistently before I started the primal plan in earnest, and had my net calories around 1350 (after subtracting what I burned from cardio, bike commuting, etc). That was what Fit Day recommended based on my starting weight, goal weight and activity level. But I stopped tracking when I started primal-ing, and have def added some more fat, so I suspect, even with cutting out snacking, my calories have crept up.

As of today, I have started a journal here on the forum, and also re-dedicated myself to a month at least of tracking on Fit Day so I can keep my real calories at 1300-1400. I'm super limited on cardio options right now becuase of an injury, so my old favorites turbo kick and boot camp are out or have to be seriously modified. So I'll focus more on lifting heavy things, light activity, and good nutrition, based on your plan. Biggest struggle will be meeting my protein goals. With eggs for breakfast, salmon for lunch and yak/wild boar sausage for dinner, my planned menu today only gets me to 85 grams. I am gonna have to sneak in some jerky somewhere and considering upping my protein serving size and cutting down on the veggie portion of my meals. We'll see how it goes. You've inspired me!
                            Great. I'm so glad you are getting back on track.
                            Where does one get yak/wild boar sausage? I want some.

Comment

• Update at ten weeks into this crazy program:

Waist has gone from 32" to 30"
                              Hips have gone from 44" to 42"

Weight from 180 to 165

Goal is 150

Yep, Halfway There!

Forgive me a bit of a Wooot!

Now back to your regularly scheduled springtime threads about sex.
                              Last edited by Paleobird; 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Congrats, Paleobird!
                                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Working...
                                X