No announcement yet.

What do you use as shampoo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't used shampoo in forever. The last time I did it was Burt's Bees something or other. Shampoo really seems to dry out my hair, and I like the way it feels much better with the natural oils intact.

Usually I just rinse my hair with lukewarm to hot water in the shower, sometimes (maybe 2x per month) I add a rinse of very diluted apple cider vinegar.

If I really feel like may hair needs "washing" I'll sprinkle baking soda on my dry hair before I get in the shower, then get it wet and rub it into my scalp. Then rinse with water and follow with an ACV rinse.

My boys are almost 4 and almost 6, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times they've had actual shampoo on their hair, and they have the most gorgeous, sweet smelling hair that's easy to comb and never gets tangled even when it's long.
    Last edited by barefootmama; 05-30-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Just baking soda mixed with water. I slap it on, rub it on the scalp for about a minute with the water off, and then it all rinses right out. No problems here. Lasts about two to three days, better than nasty artificial oils that just linger and make you feel dirty so you wash more often.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I went water-only 12 weeks ago and I'm still trying to transition. The oil is starting to calm down though and I think the end might be near. I have tried this 4 other times in the past, once as long as 9 months without success. I think that eating primal is what is making it work this time.

My girls are 5 and 7 and have been shampooed twice, ever. Now they let me do scalp massages and so I will probably never shampoo again. It was only to break up the scalp oil that I did shampoo, but massaging works even better. Their hair is soft, shiny and in no way oily (granted they haven't hit puberty yet!). They are complemented on their long beautiful hair all the time. I only wish I could have the same hair for myself. I seem to be such an over producer of sebum! Most people that go water only need only about 6 weeks to transition.
        PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

my kids use my shampoo when they feel like washing their hair. otherwise it's just water. i think ease of brushing has more to do with your hair type than what you use. when my kids are little (14ish mos-24 mos) they grow these superfine beautiful little ringlets which are impossible to brush and wind up as dreads until the first haircut. i almost never use soap of any kind on my babes unless there is something that simply won't come off with water and a washcloth. likewise, i have to be careful how it treat my hair or else it becomes frizzy and damaged.
          my primal journal:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

I know some people use bicarbonate of soda to wash with and apple cider vinegar as a rinse, but that seems to work better for those who haven't got greasy hair. It sure doesn't work for me. I just end up with extremely greasy hair!
            The first time I tried the BS/ACV I made the ACV/Water mixture too strong and my hair looked wet all day long. Now, I put 1 capful with 1 cup or more of water and it just softens the hair shaft without the "greasy, wet" look. Maybe you did the same thing....
            My Journal
            sigpic

Comment

I use Dr Bronner's unscented castel soap for my body and hair, then when I get out of the shower I use a small amount of jojoba oil as conditioner. I always get comments on how healthy and great my hair looks and what my secret is.
              “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

Comment

Originally posted by CKATTO71 View Post
                The first time I tried the BS/ACV I made the ACV/Water mixture too strong and my hair looked wet all day long. Now, I put 1 capful with 1 cup or more of water and it just softens the hair shaft without the "greasy, wet" look. Maybe you did the same thing....
                I tried without acv as well, and gave it a few months but nothing changed, so I assume it just doesn't work for me. I have on the other hand read that people with dry scalp/hair find that egg makes it even dryer. You just have to find what works for you ...
                "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
                Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Comment

I have dry hair too. I rinse it with olive oil,makes it nice&shiny

Comment

Originally posted by Tishkaminx View Post
                    My sister tried soapnuts and they smelt so bad- like vomit! Really. The smell was even bad after adding some essential oils to try to mask it. Yuck!
                    My experience with soap nuts - for laundry and cleaning - is that while using them they smell funky, but once dry stuff smell extremely clean!
                    Last edited by fondalashay; 08-11-2011, 03:03 AM.

Comment

I have tried 2, well 3ish versions.

First I went the baking soda and vinegar route. I though that it worked well. But where I live baking soda is expensive, so I wanted another method.
                      Next I tried nothing, just water and a good scrub. Worked great. Used a boar bristle brush on my super long hair and it looked great. I wrote about it here ( I do not wash my hair. Yes, you read that right « Mint&Chilli ). But then summer came and there was abit more oily build up, so now I am just using a bar of [Dr. Broners] soap evey so often just on my roots and it is working great. Still just using water the rest of the time!

Comment

Working...
                      X