Feeling constantly tired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling constantly tired

The problem with me is that I'm almost constantly feeling tired. I may have little peaks of energy but mostly I just feel tired. I'm 23, BMI slightly under "optimal" and been eating at least fairly primal for a few years. I guess the biggest thing I'm lacking in my "diet" is eating enough vegetables. My excuses are that I don't particularly like vegetables and they are damn expensive, at least for a student. But I guess I'm going to try to greatly increase my vegetable for a week and see if it makes a difference.

I don't really exercise much mainly because my energly levels are so low. So I wonder if forcing to exercise could give some benefits or would it exhaust me even more? I think Mark himself has said that you should only do intensitive training when you feel like your body is ready for it. I do some slow walking about 1 hour a day though.

I suppose the tiredness can be cause by other factors like sleep, mental state, medical condition etc. but I'd like to rule out diet and exercise first. So do you think forcing yourself to exercise is a good idea and is sufficient intake of vegetables so critical? I especially would like to hear some personal experiences on these matters.

Can you post a sample daily menu? Are you zero/very low carb? Maybe a little fruit or sweet potato would help.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Look for Stabby's posts. Great info and checklists there!

And let me be the first to ask: "Do you eat enough fat?"
      Oh, and learn to cook. How can anybody NOT love a salad?

Comment

Where are you in your weight goal? Maintenence or weight loss? Weight ok but aiming for fat loss?

Generally when I am tired and have zero energy it is exactly because I have avoided getting some veggies in me. I love veggies the problem is there generally aren't left overs so reaching in to grab left over meat is just easiest.

Comment

Today's menu:

2 x Minced beef meat, cheese, mushrooms, onions cooked in butter and two sour crisp breads (=12g carbs)

Some liquorice candy, yeah I know bad Didn't eat too much though.

Milk and blueberries.

Hard to estimate how many calories that is, probably something around 1500.

Comment

Get rid of the breads and the candy. You are not eating anywhere near enough fat, either.
            Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

GO to the doctor and get him to check your iron and thyroid levels and whatever else he thinks it might be. This may not be dietary.
              Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

If your menu always looks similar to this, it's no wonder that you're feeling tired. +1 on what Griff said.

Comment

1500 calories? No wonder you're tired! Sheesh. You're not eating enough...probably because you're protein-satiated from the meat and cheese.

This article is long, but very relevant to what you're experiencing:
                  The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG

Comment

I think my fat/protein/carb ratio should be ok. The bread and candy surely don't provide any nutritional benefits but they only make up of about 60g carbs. The rest come from fat and protein. I don't eat more because I'm not hungry. In terms of weight I guess I'm trying to maintain my level, perhaps gain some more. I have also been a skinny guy so maintaining weight is not really concious effort though.

Regarding carb flu, I think it should only happen for beginners? I have been eating low carb for years. But the link you posted seems interesting so I might check it out anyway.

Comment

Have you read the book or even read this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html
                      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by damnregistering View Post
                        I think my fat/protein/carb ratio should be ok. The bread and candy surely don't provide any nutritional benefits but they only make up of about 60g carbs. The rest come from fat and protein. I don't eat more because I'm not hungry. In terms of weight I guess I'm trying to maintain my level, perhaps gain some more. I have also been a skinny guy so maintaining weight is not really concious effort though.

Regarding carb flu, I think it should only happen for beginners? I have been eating low carb for years. But the link you posted seems interesting so I might check it out anyway.
                        Why are you eating low-carb if you are underweight? Eating some potatoes won't kill you, might give you energy and could help you put on some weight. Low-carb is not for everyone...
                        * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
                        Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Comment

I'm not eating low-carb for weight-loss but for general well-being, though I'm not seeing much positive side effects.

Today's menu:

Salmon with nothing on side
                          Strawberries and milk
                          1 Sausage

Posting these menus I just realized I'm not eating much, it's just that I'm not feeling a least bit hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by damnregistering View Post
                            I have also been a skinny guy so maintaining weight is not really concious effort though. ... Posting these menus I just realized I'm not eating much, it's just that I'm not feeling a least bit hungry.
                            And that's your problem. Crank up the carbs and fat some and get more damn calories down the hatch. I have the same problem if I try to go VLC...I simply don't eat enough and get tired.

Drinking half-and-half will solve a lot of problems, as will some delicious garlic mashed potatoes. I don't have a problem with starch so long as it's par of a meal with complete protein.

Comment

Heh, some people are suggesting to eat more fat, some more carbs. The thing is though that I have tried the both extremes, and everything in between: almost zero-carb and almost pure carbs. There was a time I tried experienting living cheaply as possible by eating only spaghetti, haha. To be honest I can't tell much difference in terms of mood. And weight has always been the same, a bit skinny. And as a reminder I have been on the primal diet for years now so I don't think "carb flu" has anything to do with it, unless it is chronic kind of carb flu for me.

Though one thing I have always been lacking is vegetables. I have tried eating a lot of vegetables only short-term, never more than a couple of days. I'm a bit skeptical that eating lots of vegetables could make such a massive change in mood and energy but what the heck I should at least try it out.

It's true that the problem could be medical but if you go to GP and tell you are tired they are just going to tell about lifestyle factors. If you want to investigate deeper you really need to see a private doctor and take a stab in various lab tests, and I'm not willing to go down that road just yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X