Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you handling higher food prices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you handling higher food prices?

So with prices rising on basic food commodities throughout the world due to a combination of...
    a) massive currency devaluation/inflation
    b) destruction of key crops by weather phenomena
    and
    c) increased demand from the industrializing world countries like china

How are you managing to keep to the paleo diet? Personally, I've been doing a combination of IF every other day, an increase of soup/stew intake and throwing out the things I used to snack on in between meals. If you have any suggestions, I'd sure like to hear them.

Gas prices are going to kill me this summer, I have a 45-60 minute commute each way We almost never eat out anymore, so that is helping out food budget greatly. I also have chickens and ducks, so we never have to buy eggs, and I can sell the excess for a few dollars a dozen to co-workers, which just about covers the cost of their (organic) feed. I have high hopes for a vegetable garden this summer, and I especially want to produce enough tomatoes so that I can can and dry loads of them for use through the winter. I know I'm not going to be able to afford all organic/grass-fed through the summer, hence the garden plans.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Fasting more often
      http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Primal in the strictest sense is an elitist diet. Sisson even say's so in his book and makes no apology's for it.
        I grow my own veg - as much as I can - and buy my meat in bulk. Using cheaper cuts in a slow cooker is a good way to turn tough meat into delicious stew.
        Roadside stall's for fruit and veg as well as farmers markets can also yeild savings- it's all about cutting out the middle man.

Pity the garbage food seems to be forever 'on sale' or 'BOGOF'.

Comment

Originally posted by kitoi View Post
          Fasting more often
          Pretty much. This is not a direct result of food prices raising but it is convenient. I also eat more chicken and cheaper meat.

Comment

cut back elsewhere.

And clearly - drink more wine
            MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Put my kids to work. I'm not kidding, my oldest can start babysitting this summer and she will be paying for most everything she needs.
              Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by runnergal View Post
                cut back elsewhere.

And clearly - drink more wine
                I like the way you think, Runnergal.

Comment

I actually do much of my shopping at the Asian supermarkets around here which are generally, at least 10% cheaper if not a whole lot more.
                  I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

Prices from my local grassfeed operation have gone DOWN significantly over the last year...

Comment

Organic produce is getting less expensive here mostly due to increased competition. Whole Paycheck is not the only game in town anymore.

I also love my Asian supermarket. Great sashimi and they sell things like goat, goose, venison, offal.

Comment

It sucks!

We invested in a side of grassfed beef and it's helping. Can't grow many veggies unfortunately as we live on blueberry land, might try to buy a farm share for veggies for the summer.
                        You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Not planning to change anything; I'll continue to seek out good values and sources for quality foods.

I'm pretty financially comfortable with room to move in my budget as prices increase. If it becomes an issue, I'll figure out ways to shave my budget in other ways to open up more money for food. There are a lot of other things I can chop in the budget before I would be at risk of needing to cut my food budget.
                          "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

I'm with ennasirk - also, we don't take fancy vacations or spend money on a lot of stuff other find needed. We are debt free and not paying banks all that interest leaves money available for me to feel rich! I cook everything from scratch (but then so do most of you) and recycle many meals into other meals to keep the family from complaining too much. Growing my own food probably costs more than conventional but possibly less than organic. I drive as little as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                              I drive as little as possible.
                              Yeah, I'm very fortunate that I'm able to limit my driving by telecommuting almost every day, so gas prices don't hit me as hard as others who have long daily commutes. I moved to take my current job and set myself up so that I was within a short (1 mile) walk from my office, which worked great for almost 2 years... then my office got moved to a new location 27 miles away (accessible by public transit but that would more than double my commute time). Fortunately, my boss is also supportive of telecommuting, so I do that the vast majority of the time. On the odd days that I do have to drive, I try to make the most of it by doing some of the "burbs" type of errands that I can only do out in strip-mall land.
                              "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

Working...
                              X