Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you handling higher food prices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use public transit and my bicycle to get around, I'm getting as much of my meat as possible from the local meatshare, and vegetable prices aren't breaking me. So I haven't noticed, to be honest. And wine prices are flat so I'm basically fine.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I'm going to try and grow a few things this year in containers (I've got a black thumb it seems...I can't get much but weeds to grow), and I'm going to load up on veggies this year from a coworker and the farmer's markets. That way I can use them this coming winter. I am also trying to get a cow and pig with some friends.

I'm also getting rid of consumable things as much as possible - I don't buy paper towels anymore, I don't use napkins (I use cloth instead), even monthly I no longer use disposable anything (so much more comfortable and cheaper!). I'm also going to try and use my dryer rack outside more when I can on the weekends.

Comment

We're doing a few things:
        buying meat & eggs in bulk at Costco
        Buying Organic/free range/grass fed cuts when on sale at WFM
        buying the most economical organic veggies btwn WFM, Tjoes, and the Grand Mercado (international super market)
        buying local goats milk at WFM - when its in stock vs buying the meyenberg brand
        planting our summer garden
        harvesting spinach, kale and collards from our winter/early spring garden
        stretching our meals out to 2days - which has been a challenge for DH he used to just sit down and eat 1/2 a chicken in one sitting, now he's being more aware of what he's eating, and trying to increase his veggie intake, and fat intake, so we can stretch a roaster chicken, a chuck roast, or pork roast.
        focusing on finishing all leftovers before cooking a new meal.
        I'm tele-working from home so I'm saving $ on gas. and once summer really comes on DH will break out the motorcycle and use that for days he doesn't have mtgs
        we don't go out to eat all that often, b/c we eat so well at home...
        The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
        What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
        SW 190lb
        Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
        25 Sep 2011 160lbs
        1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
        GW ~135lbs
        5'3"
        Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Originally posted by lucyh View Post
          Paleobird, which Asian supermarket do you go to? I'm in San Diego too.
          There is the 99 Ranch on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. I also shop at Pancho Villa's and North Park Produce both on El Cajon Blvd just east of the 805. The former is obviously mexican and the latter is middle eastern. Both have great prices and interesting spices, meat selections, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
            Primal in the strictest sense is an elitist diet. Sisson even say's so in his book and makes no apology's for it.
            I grow my own veg - as much as I can - and buy my meat in bulk. Using cheaper cuts in a slow cooker is a good way to turn tough meat into delicious stew.
            Roadside stall's for fruit and veg as well as farmers markets can also yeild savings- it's all about cutting out the middle man.

Pity the garbage food seems to be forever 'on sale' or 'BOGOF'.
            Agreed, in the end it is. There is no possibility that the amount of arable (or pasture) land can support enough meat for everyone to have it at such a large extent. I was talking to some friends about the food that I now have been eating for a month, and in the back of my mind it does sound very elitist, that I'm saying all that crap in the middle of the grocery store is cheap, subsidized, processed crap is not good enough for me (granted I could live on it, just not well), and that meat and fresh vegetables which are comparatively more expensive are the way to go. Oh well, good for me though - its also why I don't care what other people eat now (I think thats another sign of elitism).

Luckily most of my beef and pork comes from my parents farm.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              There is the 99 Ranch on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. I also shop at Pancho Villa's and North Park Produce both on El Cajon Blvd just east of the 805. The former is obviously mexican and the latter is middle eastern. Both have great prices and interesting spices, meat selections, etc.
              Thanks! I go to the 99 Ranch now and then, their prices were a little higher last time I was there, but still, you can't beat shiitake mushrooms for $3.99/lb. when they are $12 or $15 at Vons. I also like Vine Ripe on Fletcher Pkwy. in La Mesa, I think it is Persian/Indian/Middle Eastern. They have nice lamb and cheap produce. I keep meaning to try out North Park Produce, maybe this weekend.
              My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

I was appalled to see the prices of a large conventional avocado at my region's Kroger affiliate is now $2.28 (!). I used to get the small ones for .79, but I see now those are $1.25 each.

I just got my standard cost of living raise, and I'm still net negative due to gas and food costs. I'm going to have to do a better job of not letting food spoil, of combining trips to the other side of town, not being lazy and hitting the $$$ salad bar at Whole Paycheck, using chicken carcasses to make soup, and less sushi. I do work from home but my gas costs have doubled as I was formerly basically homebound, but I'm now able to physically get around better and am now back in yoga, Drinking Liberally, and going to PT--all across the river in Portland. I do have a freezer full of grass-fed/free-range meat, so that does help.

A friend and I went on a playdate to the international market. It didn't look that big from the street, but was huge on the inside, and it was like the United Nations in there....really crowded on a Wednesday afternoon. I was able to score four scratch-n-dent cans of coconut milk and two cans of coconut cream for .99 each.
                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

You're lucky you're still getting cost of living increase, TigerLily, my husband's company hasn't done raises of COL increases in three years because the "economy is so bad that they can't afford to." O.o It's asinine, they're the cheapest company I've never had the displeasure of being acquainted with.

That said, we're taking part in a CSA this year, discussing splitting a cow and pig with my Mom and possibly my brother's family, plus with the CSA we have the option of buying lamb, chickens and eggs directly from some local farms so we're also researching those options. We also have a Costco membership so that helps cut down on costs also since we can buy in bulk.
                  ~ Chris

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didnít understand the assignment.

I told them they didnít understand life.
                  ó John Lennon

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starrchilde View Post
                    We also have a Costco membership so that helps cut down on costs also since we can buy in bulk.
                    Costco rocks - it's a major part of my "keep costs reasonable" strategy, especially since they've added more organic foods.

For those who don't have a membership and are wondering if they'll get the full value out of the membership, one thing to consider is splitting the membership with a friend or family member. I share with my mom (in my case, I pay for it since I go a lot more frequently than my folks do, and I can more easily afford it since I'm working and my folks are on a retirement income). But that cuts down the number of times you have to go to make the membership worthwhile.
                    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

How much is a Costco membership these days? I haven't had one in years because it's just my husband and I and when we used to go we'd end up buying way more than we needed or could fit in our little house And if Target is the $100 store, Costco was always the $300 store. Do they have grass-fed meat, or just organic?
                      My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Originally posted by lucyh View Post
                        How much is a Costco membership these days? I haven't had one in years because it's just my husband and I and when we used to go we'd end up buying way more than we needed or could fit in our little house And if Target is the $100 store, Costco was always the $300 store. Do they have grass-fed meat, or just organic?
                        $50/year. I haven't seen grass-fed meat there, just organic. They've added quite a bit of organic produce as well. I also get organic eggs and yogurt there.
                        "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

Originally posted by reeferjon View Post
                          Guys lets put this in perspective.
                          in UK this morning I filled up a Ford Focus (small family 5 door) 1.6 Diesel.......each week costs me $92!!!!
                          Maybe if we had prices like that, more people in the US would support transit and see the value of high-density urban areas.

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                            Maybe if we had prices like that, more people in the US would support transit and see the value of high-density urban areas.

And I wouldn't have issues with prices like that if that is what gasoline costs. However, much like cigarettes, alcohol etc most of the price you pay at the pump is taxes.

A quick google search showed: Taxes account for about 66 percent of the pump price in Britain.

I'd support lower taxes before transit and high-density urban areas. Of course, I live in BFE.

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                              You do realize that the person you quoted gets 54-67mpg...
                              Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                              Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                              Current Weight: 235 pounds
                              Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
                                You do realize that the person you quoted gets 54-67mpg...
                                Yep. And I get 48. Even though the price per mile is lower, it can still be a concern.

Comment

Working...
                                X