Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you handling higher food prices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only have a backyard patio, but my friend just bought a house with a huge yard and she says if her husband tills a garden, that I can plant some veggies there.

My mom is also going to start bringing me free-range eggs from a friend of hers for $1.50 a dozen.

I'm also going to start cycling to work. I'll be spending my gas money on bacon!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Bargain-hunting. (We already have to go to 5 or 6 stores to get everything we need, so this isn't a hardship.)

We've cut WAAAAAAY back on the soda (my husband still drinks it) and other processed crap.

I've cruelly forced my husband to get a day job.

Comment

Honestly I haven't noticed. But then I'm mostly buying local, organic, grassfed, etc. stuff from Whole Foods. That stuff is already pretty expensive but much of it seems a bit less subject to fluctuations in fuel and commodity prices. I've noticed the gas prices more since I have a long commute. At least my car is rather fuel efficient. I'm lucky to be fairly prosperous right now so I'm not really cutting back but it's a little less going into savings every month.

Comment

Fasting a bit more will offset it

Comment

gas prices are ridiculous, glad to know that wasn't just in my head/me going crazy.... i'm going to try to take the bus more often. as for food, i buy at local farm markets so vegetables are pretty cheap. meat is expensive though b/c i signed up for this meat csa a few months ago and i'm stuck with it now haha. it is good quality though, and i get protein from cheaper sources (like eggs/gelatin/dairy/canned seafood) too so i don't run through it that quickly. i've cut back on the expensive 'snacky' things like nuts, nut butters, etc. .... it's hard to justify that kind of purchase when i know that i will probably go through it all in a day or two, heh. dark chocolate i only buy when it's on sale, but it also helps that i don't crave it as often now too. oh and i usually eat two meals a day, just because of scheduling convenience.

Comment

I'm a man of few pleasures. I got this laptop as a gift (a year's worth, birthday, Christmas and all that) and take most of my pleasure from physical pursuits. So yeah, all of my money goes to food.
              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                I'm a man of few pleasures. I got this laptop as a gift (a year's worth, birthday, Christmas and all that) and take most of my pleasure from physical pursuits. So yeah, all of my money goes to food.
                i'm the same way- my money either goes towards

1) food
                3) art supplies
                2) tattoos
                3) crossfit classes

it's nice not to spend money on gas, cigarettes, and new things
                ☆*☆my journal☆*☆

Comment

Gas here just went up to $1.38/L, or roughly $5.52/gal. Its just mental.

I buy as much as possible from local farmers, I support them and they in turn help me save money - we both benefit by cutting out the middle man. I buy as much as possible in bulk, and search online for deals before I go shopping.
                  Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post

I also love my Asian supermarket. Great sashimi and they sell things like goat, goose, venison, offal.
                    Paleobird, which Asian supermarket do you go to? I'm in San Diego too.
                    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
                      Gas here just went up to $1.38/L, or roughly $5.52/gal. Its just mental.
                      I'm in California and the highest I've ever seen is a bit over $5. They say we may be back at that point by summer. My last fill up was $4.30/gal. Sad thing is, our transit is so underfunded and there's so much sprawl that it would cost me the same for a rail pass as I spend on gas and my commute would take twice as long.

Comment

Originally posted by Nion View Post
                        I actually do much of my shopping at the Asian supermarkets around here which are generally, at least 10% cheaper if not a whole lot more.
                        Our local H-Mart is an Asian superstore of awesomeness! the produce is not to be believed with more mushrooms and peppers than I even knew existed. Plus, I have been welcomed by very friendly and helpful people which put me at ease in spite of the initial weirdness of being the only non-Asian in the place. I did finally figure out where all the 'rest' of the animal goes. The muscle bits go to Safeway and the entire rest of the beast is at H-Mart! hooves, ears, tails, snouts, you name it. I know where I'm going for offal! Cannot recommend it enough!

Comment

Guys lets put this in perspective.
                          in UK this morning I filled up a Ford Focus (small family 5 door) 1.6 Diesel.......each week costs me $92!!!!

Comment

I hear that; 28 to fill up my Honda Africa Twin 750!

Since when did a motorbike cost nearly 30 quid to fill up?

Still at least it does 55MPG in a way that still puts a smile on my face

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                              I hear that; 28 to fill up my Honda Africa Twin 750!

Since when did a motorbike cost nearly 30 quid to fill up?

Still at least it does 55MPG in a way that still puts a smile on my face
                              I got a different bike but the same gas mileage. So, i'm riding that as much as i can, i don't care if i have to drag my bags behind me, im using my bike as much as possible. Lol, iv'e already made an egg run on my bike, i just put them in my backpack. Too bad its raining every other day in NJ.

Comment

I go to different stores for different products. WalMart for stuff like napkins, frozen veggies, fresh veggies and Wegmans for my oils, fish. I don't clothes shop or shoe shop. I will buy breakfast maybe once a week, dinner once a week but I do get coffee on a regular basis.
                                Health is Wealth!

Comment

Working...
                                X