Questions for Full-Time Employees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for Full-Time Employees

If you were allowed to work 20-30 hours per week instead of 40 do you believe your performance would skyrocket? Would you enjoy your job more? Life? Would you care more about your job? Would you maybe LOVE coming to work instead of dreading the commute?

Do you believe you would be able to learn more? Discover more? Make more of an impact in others lives?

I think around 80% of us are overworked. Is it time we change our philosophy on work? Who thought of 40 hours per week anyways? 8 hours a day... why not 5?

I'd love to read your thoughts.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Totally 10000% agree with you!!

Comment

I'd love a 3 or 4 day weekend ... every week
      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
      CW: 146.8 lbs
      GW 140 lbs
      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I am fortunate in that I have a job I enjoy which provides amazing benefits. I think the 40hrs/wk is a decent trade-off for what I get.

That being said, I could probably do everything I do in 30hrs/wk. With that extra time I could maybe take another class at school, or get a regular volunteer gig. But I don't know if that would make it easier/more fun to come to work every day; it might make it harder, if I was filling up on even more (fun) commitments.

Comment

I had my hours reduced to 30hrs/wk for a year during the crash. I actually enjoyed having that extra day off (just worked 4 days instead of 5).

40hrs is also very doable for me when I enjoy my job (which I do right now). 50hrs sucks buckets (happens ocassionally, plan lots of time off to compensate for that).

This being said, I'm in Europe - we get 25 days of holiday a year (PLUS public holidays), which makes a big big difference over the 10 days off most Americans get (and never take).
          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27363.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kaeferin View Post
            I had my hours reduced to 30hrs/wk for a year during the crash. I actually enjoyed having that extra day off (just worked 4 days instead of 5).

40hrs is also very doable for me when I enjoy my job (which I do right now). 50hrs sucks buckets (happens ocassionally, plan lots of time off to compensate for that).

This being said, I'm in Europe - we get 25 days of holiday a year (PLUS public holidays), which makes a big big difference over the 10 days off most Americans get (and never take).
            Good points. Some really do love their jobs and thus 40 hours is not really 40 hours. But, I still think the standard 40 hours should be cut down to 30.

We should also get more time off. Say 30 days a year PLUS standard holidays like Christmas, New Year, etc.

People will say that some jobs require so many hours. I disagree. Nurses work 12 hour shifts, right? What if that nurse worked 6 hour shifts. She would probably enjoy her job more and her performance would most definitely skyrocket. She would be able to sleep, cook her own meals, etc.

This would also open the opportunity for other people to have jobs. The pay would have to be less, but not too much.

Keep the thoughts coming!
            Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

yes to them all. i hate sitting here at a computer, HATE IT. i like my job, but 40 hours sitting is just to much....more along ridiculous. this is not nor has nothign to do with what i want to do in life which makes it worse
              Get on my Level
              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm pretty much cool with my 8 - 5 job because while I may sit in front of a computer all day, I train my ass off during lunch and do bjj at night. On weekends I ride my bike or go fishing.

I'm cool with it because working 8-5 gives me enough money to pretty much enjoy myself in my freetime with pretty much anything I want to try or do. Would I like to work less? SURE! Is it going to happen? Nope. It's worth the trade though.

Comment

As you said PT, if one enjoys the job, 8 hours (or more) a day, 5 days (or more) a week, probably doesn't seem like a lot. If you don't like your job, or boss, or co-workers, etc., 40 hours can seem like a LIFETIME. Guess which camp I'm in??!!

Carrie

Comment

yes. yes to all those questions.

i don't feel overworked in any way...i actually feel bored. most weeks, i could get my job done in half the time. i would love the opportunity to do that.
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I'm lucky enough to only have to "work" for about 15 hours a week. If you can organise your life to work this way I can highly recommend it.
                      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                      Brute Force Sandbags
                      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I'm in the camp of people stuck behind a desk for most of the 8-5, 40 hour work week and it can be a little much. What gets me is how much time you really spend at the office vs. the home. It sucks, but a lot of people, myself included, end up spending more time with co-workers on a daily basis than with family.

I would personally love to scale back my hours/days at the office, but like most, I'm not really willing or able to lose the income... cause c'mon... all that extra bacon adds up.
                        "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
                        - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

I currently work 4 days on 4 days off. Unfortunately they are 12 hour shifts. I do like having a 4 day weekend every week though. I have worked 8 hour shifts 5 on 2 off and don't think I could ever go back to it again. I am lucky to be in a job where I am allowed 1 hour during my work day to work out, as long as we aren't too busy.

Comment

Is a 40 hour week typical in the US? Do you only get 10 days paid leave and no extra holidays?!

Comment

I've never been content working 40 hours (or more) a week for someone else's company where they get a majority of the reward for my work. I am working on getting to a point where I an own my own business. My roommate and I have several good ideas and are in the process of hiring a developer and web designer this week. Our mission statement includes finding employees that can work 25% less than a similiar position while making 25% more. We are definitely on board with the employee owned business idea.

It's nice to be able to just "do your job", get paid, and not have to worry about it. I just hate sitting in the office so long with the beautiful weather outside. I'd rather work my ass off and realize the benefits myself, even if that means I'd make less than I do now.
                              5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
                              Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
                              Weight: 259
                              Total Cholesterol: 243
                              LDL: 188
                              HDL: 40
                              Trig: 96

2-18-11
                              Weight: 228
                              Total Cholesterol: 239
                              LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)