Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Composition on PB

Hello...

Just curious if you have all noticed a difference in your body composition on PB vs conventional dieting... as in how does your body look at 140 lb. on PB vs. 140 lb. on a conventional low-fat diet? Or whatever the weight may be?

I didn't notice any real difference in body composition from PB, but I was kinda lean to begin with. I've gained some muscle in the past couple years, but I chalk that up mostly to increased weight training and following Leangains principles.

Comment

I haven't really had any change, which is a bit disconcerting... however, I think I'm in the "last 5-10 pounds" phase and just haven't been able to find the right combination of training/food intake to shed it.
      Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
      -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

Here is a great post from Batty about composition change.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15208.html
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

With CW, I had to get down to 135-140 to look lean and I started looking "heavy" at 150. Check out my recent update in my journal to see me this morning at 153#. There is DEFINITELY a huge difference for me.
          My Journal
          sigpic

Comment

Looking good Ckatt!

Comment

Originally posted by CKATTO71 View Post
              With CW, I had to get down to 135-140 to look lean and I started looking "heavy" at 150. Check out my recent update in my journal to see me this morning at 153#. There is DEFINITELY a huge difference for me.
              You look fantastic Ckatt! This is more of the response I was expecting. I have noticed that my stomach is leaner at my current weight than it would be if I had lost weight conventionally. I still have a good 20 lbs. to lose. This way of eating is supposed to burn fat and preserve muscle so I really expected more responses like yours. Like you, I think I will be leaner at a higher weight than if I were to eat a low-fat diet/low-cal diet.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                Here is a great post from Batty about composition change.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15208.html
                This is a great example of what I was getting at and what I expected to see in response to my question. Amazing what muscle can do! I would much rather look athletic than skinny. I use to struggle with the number because both of my sisters always weighed about 15 lbs. less than me and I didn't know why I weighed more, but then realized it's because I have more muscle and have bigger bones than them and I am healthier because of that. My risk for osteoporosis (which is rampant in my family) is less than theirs simply because I started lifting when I was 18 and have bigger bones and weighed at or above 130. I am 5'3" and they are about the same and usually at or under 115. I love my curves and my muscles and I can't wait to get back to my leaner self and will be interested in the difference PB makes in my body composition at 130 vs. conventional 130.

Comment

I looked slimmer at 132 when I was muscular than when I was 122 and skinny fat.
                  Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Yup! I've always wiggled around 126-130 (upper 130's in my especially high carb days) and my body fat has dropped like crazy. I went from 26% BF to 19% BF, and there is definitely a noticeable difference in my stomach and upper-body. Luckily (I'm sure I am one of the few women that say this) PB has completely preserved my hips!

Comment

This time around, I have not lost much boob, and I didn't lose any bottom either!
                      My Journal
                      sigpic

Comment

My body composition is changing right now, even though I'm not losing weight at the moment (not exercising either).

I've been hovering around 225lbs since March, but a roll has magically disappeared! It freaked me out, because apparently, I use to hold it when I fell asleep (never noticed) and then it just wasn't there in April. Talk about awkward realizations.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
                        Congenital Hypothyroid
                        CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Comment

Originally posted by jandge View Post
                          Talk about awkward realizations.
                          That's funny...

Comment

Originally posted by jandge View Post
                            My body composition is changing right now, even though I'm not losing weight at the moment (not exercising either).

I've been hovering around 225lbs since March, but a roll has magically disappeared! It freaked me out, because apparently, I use to hold it when I fell asleep (never noticed) and then it just wasn't there in April. Talk about awkward realizations.
                            So funny!

The same thing has happened to me*. Just the other day, I was struck by the sudden absence of a large amount of backfat. It disappeared seemingly overnight. (Not that I'm complaining! It's just that I've been dieting off and on since I was 12 and nothing like this has ever occurred.)

(*Although I did not hold my backfat as I was falling asleep. HAHA.)
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I lost body fat, but I couldn't tell you how many pounds of it because I'm a non-weigher. Just by fluke I had my bodyfat measured a few weeks ago; I went from 30% BF (2 years ago) to 24% BF - but I could be even a smidge leaner than that now. I'm 5'10" and pretty much straight up and down (not curvy) with a decent amount of muscle, so at this BF% I look failry lean while still having some girly soft bits. The greatest body composition change for me was around the waist, where I had been holding more fat than I was comfortable with (my "cortisol belly"). I can see the faintest hint of a 6-pack some mornings when I wake up, I have had to punch a few holes in my belt and as I sit here in my office wearing said tightened belt, I have no chub hanging over it. A reduction in waist circumference was one of my quasi-goals because I know it relates to heart disease (although... part of me wonders if that's just CW?). My goal with PB was improvement of health, not esthetic changes -i.e. the "faint 6-pack" mentioned above was not one of my goals - but as far as a marker of body composition change, I suppose it should be noted (and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me squeal in delight a little bit). I'm very opposed to measuring myself but I do want to be able to gauge progress; I can use these visual cues as another marker of progress in addition to my notable improvements in health.

Comment

Working...
                              X