Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you're tempted to break down and cry....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you're tempted to break down and cry....

....find a hill to sprint.

I've been having some difficult times recently and am normally very capable of handling them without too much issue. Today, however, I was feeling like I might like to throw myself a little pity party. I was out walking by Lake Michigan and honestly considered going and sitting on the seawall and having a good cry. As I walked towards the lake, I noticed something I had forgotten about: the sled hill. I saw it during my many walks through the park during the winter, but it was covered in snow and people were sledding down it. Today it became my best friend.
    Rather than go sit by the water and cry, I decided instead to do some hill sprints. Not sure what the incline is, maybe 20-25 degrees and probably about 50-60 yards up. I was wearing my running shoes (though I do not run, heh) and decided to peel them off and took off up the hill. Managed 7 of these before I felt puke-tastic. I noticed broken glass and dog pooh and made a mental note to wear my VFFs next time. As I put my shoes on I remembered as a kid having grass stained feet and laughed.
    Moral of the story: when you're tempted to give up, or give in to that self pity...go find a hill to conquer.
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

+ 10000
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Awesome
      Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

fantastic post, couldnt agree more!

Comment

Lovely.
          The Paleo Periodical
          It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Comment

I convert sadness into anger. It works.
            In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Great post! I was actually thinking along similar lines the other day on one of the threads about sprinting. A member had referred to having a pretty high stress day to day life and was thinking that sprinting would DEFINITELY be a great outlet and source of some killer endorphins! If I didn't have a sick kiddo at home right now, I'd be at the park sprinting until my legs fell off. Well, maybe not that much, but a lot.

Glad you're feeling better, Karate Lisa! Should we now refer to you as Sprinting Lisa? Sprinting Karate Lisa, perhaps?
              Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Sublimation for the win. I usually stab my enemies.
                Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Great message at the perfect time for me.

Also, I love the quote from (I presume) your sensei (fellow karateka here).
                  “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by GoJenGo View Post
                    Glad you're feeling better, Karate Lisa! Should we now refer to you as Sprinting Lisa? Sprinting Karate Lisa, perhaps?
                    Hahaha !
                    I had been doing stair sprints during the lovely Chicago winter and am soooo happy to be out, barefoot sprinting in the grass. I forgot how much I loved the feel of earth and grass between my toes. Summer's definitely going to rock !

Comment

Originally posted by inquisitiveone View Post
                      Great message at the perfect time for me.

Also, I love the quote from (I presume) your sensei (fellow karateka here).
                      I'm so glad it helps !
                      I loved the quote, it's what got me through so many obstacles in my training, and ultimately carried over
                      to my personal life =)
                      Osu !

Comment

This is at a great time for me too. Thanks for this!
                        Midterms.

Comment

I was going to start a new post about this issue but I'll just add it to here. I HATE CRYING!! Yesterday a manager was giving me a really hard time about a very tiny issue and I went back and forth trying to defend my position until I told him I didn't want to talk anymore, which made him even angrier. I almost broke down in front of him but instead went to the bathroom and cried for about 5 minutes when he finally left me alone. I wish I wasn't such an emotional, sensitive person, that I could be more of a tough-as-nails, dont-give-a-flying-f-ck type at work but I'm not.
                          I used to read a lot about Buddhism and attended meditation groups which gave me a better perspective overall but when something is happening in the moment I can't control it . Do I need xanax or something??

Have any emotional gals, maybe even guys dealt with this kind of stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by AnneArchy View Post
                            I was going to start a new post about this issue but I'll just add it to here. I HATE CRYING!! Yesterday a manager was giving me a really hard time about a very tiny issue and I went back and forth trying to defend my position until I told him I didn't want to talk anymore, which made him even angrier. I almost broke down in front of him but instead went to the bathroom and cried for about 5 minutes when he finally left me alone. I wish I wasn't such an emotional, sensitive person, that I could be more of a tough-as-nails, dont-give-a-flying-f-ck type at work but I'm not.
                            I used to read a lot about Buddhism and attended meditation groups which gave me a better perspective overall but when something is happening in the moment I can't control it . Do I need xanax or something??

Have any emotional gals, maybe even guys dealt with this kind of stuff?
                            Your manager sounds like a bully. Don't accept his negativity or allow his own inadequacies to become yours. A bully behaves the way he does because he feels inadequate or lacking in his own life, so lashes out at others. Bullies back down when you refuse to be intimidated, remember that. Perhaps letting him know he's creating a hostile work environment and walking away from him would do the trick. Do you have an HR department you can go to about his behavior? Just because he's in a supervisory position does NOT give him the authority to bully and berate you.

Good luck with it !

Comment

Nice job! I find that sprinting really helps me in hard times, too! I will be doing them today!

Comment

Working...
                              X