Chicken is boring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken is boring

No matter, how I season it, cook it, prep, combine, etc...I find chicken boring, I think it's from all the years I spent playing sports and weight training opting for chicken over beef when possible. I just have no desire to eat chicken anymore unless it's chicken wings (obvious exception!) or eggs.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Fair enough. No need for chicken, it isn't a particularly impressive animal. Wtf is with athletes and chicken breast? You would think someone with someone physiology knowledge would eventually come along and be like "guys, you know that you need fat to make testosterone, right?"

Too many concussions! *bonk*

I miss sports! Certainly not lean chicken or getting hit in the head though.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Chicken isn't boring if you know how to make it.

Marinate overnight (nothing too acidic), then coat it in spices, cover it with stock, and bake. I do this about every week with several pounds of boneless skinless (gasp) chicken breasts. Let them cool and shred them up, and you have an easy addition to scrambled eggs, omelettes, hashes, salads, and stir fries.
      “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

It's because it has no taste.
        In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
          Chicken isn't boring if you know how to make it.

Marinate overnight (nothing too acidic), then coat it in spices, cover it with stock, and bake. I do this about every week with several pounds of boneless skinless (gasp) chicken breasts. Let them cool and shred them up, and you have an easy addition to scrambled eggs, omelettes, hashes, salads, and stir fries.
          Ever since going primal despite the 400 different ways of having chicken done by good cooks it still fails vs red meat

When you used to eat 10 lbs of chicken a week for a couple years it really heightens the blandness of the meat itself despite whatever seasoning

I had 2lbs of chicken done with spices and stock yesterday and it did nothing for me
          Last edited by kenn; 04-15-2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Right now the only poultry I really enjoy is turkey thighs. The rest of the bird, meh, but ever since discovering thighs all by themselves, I've been eating more poultry than I have in years. I have no desire for white meat at all. I suspect if I ate hindquarters of chicken I'd enjoy it, but I have no desire to go there. Not with several dozen pounds of beef and pork in the freezer!
            Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

I don't think there's any rule that you have to eat chicken. There are other, much tastier birds out there. I have to ask though - are you getting real chicken or supermarket chicken? There is a pretty big difference - real birds raised on grass & bugs and high-quality feed taste much chickenier than supermarket birds.

However, if I had to choose a bird to eat all the time, it'd be duck. Mmmmm duck... so succulent, so delicious...

Comment

Stick to the dark meat and eat the skin as well. White meat is pretty bland.

Comment

Then eat beef and lamb and fish. Try emu or kangaroo or snake. Nothing says you must eat chicken. Do what you like.
                  Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

Comment

I'm not sure what primal does to some people's taste buds. Even *properly cooked* skinless chicken breast still tastes fine to me. Would rather have the crispy skin on it though.
                    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Bevaboo View Post
                      Nothing says you must eat chicken. Do what you like.
                      never claimed there was

just an observation
                      Last edited by kenn; 04-15-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I like to brine chicken to give it a flavor boost. But, I will always choose beef over chicken! lol I don't think I've ever ordered chicken at a restaurant, other than wings.
                        The more I see the less I know for sure.
                        -John Lennon

Comment

Mmmm.... Chicken skin on a baked chicken. I'd rather eat that than the chicken!
                          Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

Comment

This is a common side effect of our WOE. I would rather go hungry than eat another dry, sawdusty chicken breast.

But, I lurve chicken thighs. I just made some chicken quarters (gotta have skin and bone, that's where all the flavor is!) with a spice rub of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, paprika, and thyme, then baked 'em for 45 minutes at 425. Awesome. Everyone remarked on how good it was.
                            The Paleo Periodical
                            It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Comment

I got a really great deal on 10 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts a while ago. I did a few things with them (the pork-stuffed, bacon-wrapped chicken breast recipe from the blog was fantastic, others were dull). After some creative "what the hell, why not" when I wanted a quick, easy meal, I discovered that if you cube chicken breasts, cook them in a heavy dose of coconut oil and seasonings (I use a paleo-friendly seasoning salt I get from a local guy), and then mix them up with cooked frozen spinach, you actually end up with something tasty that's nothing like boring-ass bodybuilder chicken breasts. But then, really, that's largely because of the addition of a big blob of fat.
                              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X