Almond cheese

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almond cheese

I'm wondering what people think of those vegan almond cheeses. I've used it on occasion to top dishes, although the texture isn't very cheese-like and it doesn't melt that great. It does have casein so it's not completely dairy-free, canola oil and brown rice flour so it's not exactly primal. It does get me through a crunch though, when I really want cheese without doing dairy (dairy is a slippery slope for me, once I have a bit I crave it all the time like crazy. Almond cheese doesn't do that to me).

What do you guys think? Is is better to do dairy or indulge once in a while with almond cheese?

Just eat dairy, avoid those frankenfoods like the plague.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Not everybody can eat dairy and I think almond cheese is a viable alternative once in a while. It is no more a frankenfood than regular cheese. And not all brands have rice and casein in them.

Comment

As someone who was a vegan for about eight months, I can say that I never found a non-dairy cheese that was worth my money. (And I tried the almond cheese -- I remember it being particularly terrible.)

Daiya was as close to edible as any brand got. Sorry.
        Steph
        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

The tofu ones are gross but there is a brand of almond cheese they sell at Henry's that actually is tasty.

Comment

Are you trying to lose weight? I am, and I think that even though it's pretty low carb, it's got the rice flour... not worth it to me. I wonder if you couldn't invent a way to make your own....
            28, female, 5'2"
            Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
            1/12/12: 135 lbs.
            Goal: 120 lbs.

Comment

Almond cheese has the same drawbacks as eating a whole bowl of almonds. Not optimal for weight loss.

Comment

Almond "cheese" is no more a frankenfood than regular cheese? Uh, I can make regular cheese in my kitchen from raw milk and tools I already own. Ingredients: Milk, salt.
                Almond "cheese" is factory food, pure and simple. I'm on the side of dairy > factory food. The reason it doesn't set off dairy cravings is probably that it's gross. I'm not about to try it though. Almond CHEESE? That should not be allowed as a marketing slogan any more than soy "milk" - it should be called "solidified food substance consisting largely of almonds and rice bran"
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Jeeze. Lighten up folks. Nobody was advocating eating it 3 times a day. Once in a while, for dairy intolerant people it's not that big a deal IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Jeeze. Lighten up folks. Nobody was advocating eating it 3 times a day. Once in a while, for dairy intolerant people it's not that big a deal IMO.
                    Point taken. I just have a bee in my bonnet about foods called "cheese" "sausage" and "milk" that are not actually anything of the sort. Truth in labeling.
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

off to have a nice cold glass of amygdalate
                      MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Have you tried nutritional yeast? I think the jury is out on how primal it is, but the dead yeast strains are cleaner than a lot of vegan cheeses. I do eat some dairy, and I still use nutritional yeast for quick cheesyish sauces: For one serving, mix a couple tbs of nutritional yeast, a squirt of hot sauce, grated garlic (if desired), a tsp or two of olive oil, and just enough water to make a thick sauce. Pour it onto whatever you're making (I usually massage it into kale leaves) and bake. Add ground nuts into the sauce if you want a crunch.

Comment

Just another thought, as someone who has to watch her dairy intake...perhaps try eating a cheese that is more satisfying that commercial cheeses. We have Wegman's nearby, which is known for their cheese section. If you eat really hard cheeses, the lactose is a nonissue, and the more intense the flavor, the more satisfying. Just a thought. I love cheese too, but a good slice of high-quality imported cheese does it for me.
                          The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

the words almond cheese bring about the same sort of mental images as head cheese

if you aren't lactose intolerant (or even if you are?) i second ciavyn
                            beautiful
                            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                            lol

Comment

Working...
                            X