Are bras really needed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Owly View Post
    There's no evidence that bra wearing prevents sagging, and there's some research to show that it may increase sag.

Breast form changes resulting from a certain brass... [J Hum Ergol (Tokyo). 1990] - PubMed result
    This seems to imply that the chest muscles get weaker when bras are worn. Isn't that a similar argument for not wearing conventional running shoes, that they don't let the foot/arch muscles exercise? I certainly see that for comfort wearing a bra is the way to go, but if it does weaken the chest muscles, then women should be more actively encouraged to work out those muscles to prevent what I suspect is pretty common sagging with age--or so I heard a plastic surgeon say on Dr.Radio. That's what got me wondering in the first place.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I work with a bunch of dudes. I'm wearing a bra. Now... if I decide to throw in a baggy sweatshirt to run to the grocery store, I'm not gonna bother.

Truthfully, I very much look forward to my vacation to Wickerman each summer where I can go bra-less (or clothes-less for the braver than I) for 5 days straight.

Comment

Having kids helps the girls to sag as well. Once you get to a certain cup size, sagging is going to happen. The only person in my family whose chest hasn't sagged is one of my sisters as she is an A cup. You get to C cups and beyond, yeah, you're going to sag. Push ups are one of the best exercises to slow or prevent the sag.
        Georgette

Comment

I don't "need" a bra, but I feel more comfortable wearing one.

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
          To all women reading only this post, the consensus is that you should go bra-less, in a white t shirt on a rainy day.
          that's what my husband keeps telling me LOL Actually, he keeps telling me our house is "shirt-optional"
          Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

VFF's aren't primal. Vit D supplements aren't strictly primal. Meal replacement protein powders aren't primal. Heck. Clothes aren't primal either, but we wear them because of cultural conventions. I rather like my clothes, and my bra. I'm keepin' 'em.
            42 yo female; 5'8"
            Oct 2009: 205 lbs
            Dec 2010: 167 lbs
            Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
            Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if breasts are larger now than they were in the past, due to the xenoestrogens in the environment. It seems plausible, especially in conjunction with decreasing sperm counts and the increase in "moobs"...
              The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
                I wouldn't be surprised if breasts are larger now than they were in the past, due to the xenoestrogens in the environment. It seems plausible, especially in conjunction with decreasing sperm counts and the increase in "moobs"...
                Or back titties as Jeff Foxworthy calls back boobs. Seen that one around a lot.
                Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
                  I'd say overall, yes. And girls are maturing at a younger age as well, most likely due to all the hormones in everything but also heavier weight. But that doesn't mean that no women were well endowed, many were. They also tended to have more children and breastfeed longer, which also affect breast size and shape.
                  Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Yeah...I don't go freewheeling unless I'm deathly sick.

Truth be told, I'm not entirely above getting them realigned permanently once I'm certain I'm done having kids. Primal or not, I want my girls to stay perky.
                    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                      I'd say overall, yes. And girls are maturing at a younger age as well, most likely due to all the hormones in everything but also heavier weight. But that doesn't mean that no women were well endowed, many were. They also tended to have more children and breastfeed longer, which also affect breast size and shape.
                      Yeah I'm one of those heavy 'early maturers.' What I've noticed about us is that we tend to be the tallest girls in our class in 5th grade... at 5 foot. and then everyone else grows and grows TALLER than us, ugh. although my breasts were big for a 10 yr old (since a 10 yr old in an ideal world wouldn't have noticeable boobs at all) they're medium-sized for a grown woman. and i'm wondering now if i fix a possible progesterone deficiency, that will actually make them grow. so i think excess estrogen can spur early puberty, but i don't think it necessarily leads to increased breast size unless it's something that's genetically 'set.'

Comment

For me yes I am 42D and the girls would be down to by knees before to long if I let them go free. I think for the younger gals though the occasional freedom would allow for pectoral muscle developement but for me not a chance right now.
                        Gretchen in Wyoming
                        Princess to the King
                        Mom of 3
                        Grandma of 1
                        Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

Comment

I'm fairly small-busted. After several rounds of doctors scaring me stupid about lumps and breast calcifications, all of which turned out to be nothing, I did some reading on fibrocystic disease and read about the correlation between bras and breast lumps. Since then, I've stopped wearing underwire up-lifters except for special events, and instead wear either teen training bras (Victoria Secret has a really good one) or nothing. I *think* my breasts are less fibrocystic as a result. They certainly feel better free-range
                          Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                          Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

As far as the "bras not preventing sagging" thing, I don't think it takes into account the toll of gravity on the connective tissue in the breast witch def. causes sag! So I think bras do prevent sag in the long run.
                            http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by imasin View Post
                              Yeah I'm one of those heavy 'early maturers.' What I've noticed about us is that we tend to be the tallest girls in our class in 5th grade... at 5 foot. and then everyone else grows and grows TALLER than us, ugh. although my breasts were big for a 10 yr old (since a 10 yr old in an ideal world wouldn't have noticeable boobs at all) they're medium-sized for a grown woman. and i'm wondering now if i fix a possible progesterone deficiency, that will actually make them grow. so i think excess estrogen can spur early puberty, but i don't think it necessarily leads to increased breast size unless it's something that's genetically 'set.'
                              That was me, 5'5" and a 36C in 5th grade.
                              Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                                That was me, 5'5" and a 36C in 5th grade.
                                And you are PCOS/IR right? I am too... you're much taller than me (I'm 5'1-5'2"), haha, but it seems like there's definitely a relationship between early puberty and later hormonal issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X